Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Death Penalty Should be brought in and applied to every crime there is. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Most people have commited a crime at some point so it is a bit harsh. Also, it would be way to expensive, 20,000 bikes are stolen each year in London. It would reduce crime so much though, I bet barely anybody touches drugs in countries like malaysia but I really feel sorry for those who are stupid enough to get involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    What if someone is innocent? Is that just too bad?
    It would be regrettable indeed, no system is perfect.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrokal)
    Reporation appropriate to the loss(as judged by the state) will be given to the immediate family.

No machine works perfectly, but every effort will be made to avoid such circumstances.
    No amount of money can make up for a life lost, especially if it's a life wrongly taken at the hands of the state, executed for a crime they did not commit. It's wrong and it's barbaric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    No amount of money can make up for a life lost, especially if it's a life wrongly taken at the hands of the state, executed for a crime they did not commit. It's wrong and it's barbaric.
    Then the family is free to burn the money, or give it something they deem appropriate if they don't think it's up to the task.

ReputationRep:
    Then the family is free to burn the money, or give it something they deem appropriate if they don't think it's up to the task.
    No you don't understand, it isn't right that the state should be able to get away with wrongly putting a person to death by just throwing money at the family. Furthermore they should avoid the risk of wrongly putting a person to death by just not having the death penalty.

ReputationRep:
    Some laws are unfair and done to benefit the elites rather than out of any sort of moral justice.

Some people steal stuff because otherwise they'll die.

Some people are innocent.

Some crimes are accidental.

If you're going to propose the death penalty to eliminate badness you should develop a flawless test for psychopathy and then kill everyone who has it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    No you don't understand, it isn't right that the state should be able to get away with wrongly putting a person to death by just throwing money at the family.
    Nonsense the state is there to provide Justice and Punishment in equal measure.
    The Death Penalty is a valid form of this.
    Life is a privilege, not a right, you can loose your privilege to it.

Furthermore they should avoid the risk of wrongly putting a person to death by just not having the death penalty.
    Nothing in life is free of risk, I would rather have the occasional mistake, and a system that strives to avoid mistakes at all cost, than a weak system unable to provide what is required.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that it should be brought back. Prisoners get treated way too well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Nothing in life is free of risk, I would rather have the occasional mistake, and a system that strives to avoid mistakes at all cost, than a weak system unable to provide what is required.
    Hate to break it to you, but the international legal system disagrees with you.

ReputationRep:
    So even a person who has shoplifted should get the death penalty?

OP, stop. Please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    Personally I think we should just get rid of every criminal there is. People talk about human rights etc. however I believe a man who doesn't keep his word is not a man at all. So in that case, they rid themselves of their human rights the day they decided to steal, rape or kill.

Obviously not all thieves will get the death penalty, only second time offenders and even then this is down to the judge. However I would have no sympathy seeing a 20yr old who stole someone's bike for example killed.

As for killing innocent people, obviously the death penalty would only be brought in to people with clear cut evidence against them. For example strong DNA samples, video tape etc. That said, locking someone away for many years for a crime they didn't do is probably a worse scenario in my personal opinion. The thought of being locked away, having your youth taken away, thinking of some other man/woman taking your ex-partner and starting a family, someone else taking your job and just the general feelings of being replaced and forgotten so quickly as you rot away in some cell waiting only on years is to probably worse than death.

Should we bring in the death penalty and extend it to every crime that has a prison time sentence?
    So theoretically somebody who hates you gets DNA samples in the form of your clothing, maybe some hair from your brush or something along those lines. They steal/commit a serious crime without leaving a trace and plant the DNA evidence at the crime scene. You get arrested and are found guilty. You're dead right? That's the right thing to do? It doesn't matter if you're found to be innocent a year later due to more evidence because you're already dead. Doesn't this just allow you to commit murder by proxy without facing the consequences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaliack)
    Hate to break it to you, but the international legal system disagrees with you.
    And why should I care?
    Does some liberal, out of touch legal system dictate what I and others must think or say?

So come back to me and tell me it again when they legislate that I must say and think such nonsense, and on that day I will put a bullet through the head of whoever demands it of me.

ReputationRep:
    I only agree with the death penalty in some extreme cases. It shouldn't be bought back for every crime because that would be stupid, especially as not all crime is the person's fault. The system should help rehabilitate criminals, killing them does not solve the problem. Not all criminals can be rehabilitated but the majority can.

ReputationRep:
    So people who kill get the same charge of death as people who park on double yellow lines? That's plain stupid.

And what about people with learning disabilities who don't realise what they're doing is a crime?

I really hope you're trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoxa)
    So people who kill get the same charge of death as people who park on double yellow lines? That's plain stupid.

And what about people with learning disabilities who don't realize what they're doing is a crime?

I really hope you're trolling.
    I do not support the death penalty for the same extent of offenses as the OP.

However there would be mitigating circumstances for those judged unfit to understand there actions.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Next.

ReputationRep:
    is this too obvious to be a troll?

ReputationRep:
    How is life not a right? And once again you miss the point, the idea that the government should be able to just take a life and then get away with it by throwing money at the family is ridiculous and obscene. Especially so if that life was wrongfully taken when they were put to death for a crime they did not commit.
    The government does provide justice and punishment, the death penalty is by no means a requirements nor a deal breaker with such a thing.

You might prefer to have the odd risk but when that odd risks turns out to be an innocent life wrongly put to death I think it's not just something we can nor should allow. Plus I don't think you'd be quite so keen if it was a family member of yours or someone you are/were rather close to. There is much wrong with the system but the death penalty isn't the answer and it certainly isn't the be all and end all.

Watch this.

ReputationRep:
    And why should I care?
    Because they probably know more about those sort of things than you. In fact I'd wager that they really do know a lot more than you.

Does some liberal, out of touch legal system dictate what I and others must think or say?
    So it's liberal and out of touch to say that people don't have a right to life? And you disagree? Therefore you don't have a right to life? Therefore your life has less meaning and your death should be less of a big deal?

So come back to me and tell me it again when they legislate that I must say and think such nonsense, and on that day I will put a bullet through the head of whoever demands it of me.
    Which would make you a murderer putting you in the shoes of the very people you wish to see put to death. Wonderful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.