Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Probably not ideal for the President to say, but I think the main objection was the comment could taken focus away from her abilities and talents...rather than to reduce her hard work to appearance only. Obama obviously didn't mean that but it could be perceived that way by listeners and potentially affect her reputation. Don't see any other reason to take offence at this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    For the president of the United States to say in public, it was a stupid comment.
    Not disagreeing as he has to fit that role of being PC to every group, but is complimenting someone's appearance alongside their abilities something to be scorned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22050548

In my opinion, this is completely ridiculous.

This is what happened: Obama called the attorney general of California, Kamala Harris, "the best-looking attorney general in the country".

That's it.

So because of that small compliment, feminists in the US wanted an apology and they got one (although there was no need for one).

It's feminism gone mad.

What do you think?
    LOL Just a bit awkward because he is married with kids.

ReputationRep:
    It was a bit inappropriate given his position but it certainly wasn't sexist. If it is feminists kicking up a fuss then they're just looking for a reason to be mad again.

ReputationRep:
    It was just a nice compliment, I can't understand why people are overreacting over this...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Not disagreeing as he has to fit that role of being PC to every group, but is complimenting someone's appearance alongside their abilities something to be scorned?
    Difficult one. I think in public your better on erring on the side of caution. One on one I think it's fine.

ReputationRep:

5/10

ReputationRep:
    People are too sensitive these days.

That comment is in no way sexist.

It should have been taken for what it was: a nice compiment

ReputationRep:
    Well, if this is considered a big problem in today's society I suppose we should all feel lucky there's nothing more important to worry about.

Although I might kick up a stink about that recent Diet Coke ad...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by de_monies)
    I'd be pretty flattered if any one said something like this to me. Never gonna happen, but still
    This is nothing to do with the thread, but I've never seen someone so much in the center with their political views.

ReputationRep:
    It's ridiculous things like that which are holding women back. Feminists are doing more harm than good to women in the workplace. They need to get a grip and a life maybe too?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    This is part of the reason I really dislike what the feminist movement has become. It's quite far removed from the essence of what feminism was meant to achieve.

It's people concentrating on one part of the overall compliment. His full comment was:

Yet it's the last part that is highlighted, which makes it look like it was all 'reduced to appearance'.

In context, he's called Ken Salazar "a good-looking guy.”. He's referred to Ray Mabus as "the good-looking guy over at the end" and the Pittsburgh Penguins, "They're pretty good-looking guys without all that.”

Yet this one is sexist?
    I expected to disagree and find the comment sexist. If his only comment about her had been her appearance, the feminists might have had a point. But considering everything else he's said about her, and about other men too, then no, that's really not sexist. They over-reacted.

ReputationRep:
    Although it is ridiculous, I think there would have been a much bigger deal made over it if he hadn't said anything. It's not a big deal what he said, but it's not a big deal to apologise either, and I respect him more for just saying sorry and getting on with life. It makes him look like the bigger person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollywoodbudgie)
    This is nothing to do with the thread, but I've never seen someone so much in the center with their political views.
    Thank you I try to keep neutral. I have some issues that I am pretty passionate about, but normally I try to keep neutral I quite like my stance

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Well, I guess the (few) 'feminists' who were 'offended' by this are pretty happy that the president said it. Otherwise, they might be forced to complain about real issues affecting women today, like the lack of women at the top of companies, or the mass rapes in central Africa- but that would be too logical and productive for them to divert their attention to.

ReputationRep:
    He should have said that she's the ugliest attorney general in the country.
    That should have been fine.

ReputationRep:
    There is no excuse for these women who claim to be "Femenists", and ridicule a man for simply commenting a women.

Misandric, and disgusting on the people who brought this up.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Considering the full comment, and the fact he compliments males appearances too, I do not consider this sexist. It's ott. Why are they focusing on an insignificant comment when there are cases of horrible sexism in the world still. E.g. forced marriages, inability to get an education, genuine cases where people are treated unequally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)

Yet it's the last part that is highlighted, which makes it look like it was all 'reduced to appearance'.

In context, he's called Ken Salazar "a good-looking guy.”. He's referred to Ray Mabus as "the good-looking guy over at the end" and the Pittsburgh Penguins, "They're pretty good-looking guys without all that.”

Yet this one is sexist?
    Yeah, things are only considered sexist if they're said against women.

ReputationRep:
    Michelle might have reason to be pissed, but no one else does.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.