Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KasabianChief)
    Got a D in AQA AS Law despite thinking that it went very well, probably predicting a B/C minimum. I revised it hard and thought that I had all the content down to get the marks. It seems that throughout my class there are Ds/Es when they were expecting a lot higher. What to dooo? Get the paper back? Grill the teachers?
    If this is something that's happened for a large proportion of your class, speaking to your teachers first would be sensible, possibly followed by a remark. As a uni place doesn't immediately depend on your result, you've got a few weeks before you need to decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    DDE

So gutted. Every 'low' course I've looked at in clearing requires 260 at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    If this is something that's happened for a large proportion of your class, speaking to your teachers first would be sensible, possibly followed by a remark. As a uni place doesn't immediately depend on your result, you've got a few weeks before you need to decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Year 12 mate.

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted A's for my AS results and was hoping to go into medicine, I hadnt got below a B in any practice papers in any of the subjects,
    However I came out with ACDD, do I still have a chance of getting into medicine?
    I plan on getting them remarked and resitting, is it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    After I did all my exams I had a feeling I had done bad in them. Today was results day, and I didn't get as bad as I was expecting. What I was expecting was 3 E's. However, I came out with a C for Biology, D for Chemistry and E for Maths for my AS.. I know these grades are still not good, but it was better than I expected. I've passed all 3 of them and I can go into A2. The only problem is that the career that I want to pursue in the future is Pharmacy. The entry requirements for Pharmacy is very high. Most of them want at least an AAB. As I don't have these grades, I don't know whether I should continue on to A2.. or retake the year again?

My plan was retaking the year because if i go into A2 with a C,E and D.. my grades would only go up by 1, so it would be B, D and a C next year - (which is obviously no where near the entry requirements for Pharmacy). I really need some advice.. I dont know what to do.. whether to go into A2 or retake the whole year again and try to get those A's. I just need some opinions before i make a decision and i definitely dont want to make a decision which i will regret later on..

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice on what to do. I planned to drop AS Law as I wasn't very good at it, the work load was horrid (apparently it gets worse next year 100x) and a lot of the work we have to do independently. So I have none of the books we had to buy and I've done no reading this summer.

I collected my results today to find I got an A in my law overall. God knows how I managed it, the few people I've spoken to have got C's and B's (I thought I'd get a D at most). My English Language grade isn't what I hoped it would be, I got a C in the exam (as I only did gender and didn't revise for any other topic, stupid me as gender didnt relate to anything we'd studied!!) and an A in coursework so my grade overall is a B.

I don't know whether to take law further and drop English, or to take English further next year and not law. If I did take English is it possible to get an A still overall if I do amazing at A2 or would it be advised to re-sit the Unit 1 exam in the summer? At university I want to do psychology so both these topics don't really affect my choice, only the grade will.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I need some advice... ultimately I want to go to uni to study medicine (I know, crazy high aspirations, very aware!) and I got my results today and overall I'm really happy but just a bit gutted with one of the results. I got AABD (As in Psych and History, B in Biology and a D in Chemistry... yeah, I know) and clearly Chemistry is actually the most important subject.

I'm relatively confident I'll be able to reach two of the As required at A2 for medicine, but I'm worrying more and more about Chemistry, I was expecting a result a bit higher than that. It basically now means that my predicted grades won't be anywhere near high enough, I'm going to retake them next year but I just need some advice if anybody can give me some... I know it's not good but please don't say give up, cause that's not going to happen!

ReputationRep:
    I got ACCCD which I was really shocked with since I was predicted all As and 1 B(in which I then got a D).

I was ill for most of the year and was only in and out of school till just before Easter when I properly got back. I'm not sure how much unis take extenuating circumstances into account, and how much it could allow for with my grades.
    I want to do Physics at uni but I got a C in that, Chemistry and Classics, all of which I felt I had good As in, I also did really badly in the Physics practical(D). The A was in Maths and D in Further Maths. I got a B in Critcal Thinking as well but that doesn't really matter. Could I still do a Physics degree with that?

I really don't want to redo the whole year but it feels like I might have to. If not I'm getting 2 modules of the 13 I did remarked for definete(maybe 3 more) and retaking another 3 which should hopefully push it up to a AAABC if all goes well. Would redoing the year still be the best option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezminnie)
    After I did all my exams I had a feeling I had done bad in them. Today was results day, and I didn't get as bad as I was expecting. What I was expecting was 3 E's. However, I came out with a C for Biology, D for Chemistry and E for Maths for my AS.. I know these grades are still not good, but it was better than I expected. I've passed all 3 of them and I can go into A2. The only problem is that the career that I want to pursue in the future is Pharmacy. The entry requirements for Pharmacy is very high. Most of them want at least an AAB. As I don't have these grades, I don't know whether I should continue on to A2.. or retake the year again?

My plan was retaking the year because if i go into A2 with a C,E and D.. my grades would only go up by 1, so it would be B, D and a C next year - (which is obviously no where near the entry requirements for Pharmacy). I really need some advice.. I dont know what to do.. whether to go into A2 or retake the whole year again and try to get those A's. I just need some opinions before i make a decision and i definitely dont want to make a decision which i will regret later on..
    I think you've got to consider whether if you did retake the whole year whether there would be huge improvements cause that's a pretty big commitment; if you know you'd do better then I think it's worth it but alternatively you could just retake some of the modules you didn't do as well in along with A2, I know that bio and chem A2 still contains AS content so you'd have a greater knowledge to retake and an advantage on the people in the year below taking it for the first time. I'd just say if you do do that then check the universities you are looking to apply to and see their policy on retakes, some limit the amount they'll accept. Hope this help, good luck with whatever you choose!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECDawson)
    I think you've got to consider whether if you did retake the whole year whether there would be huge improvements cause that's a pretty big commitment; if you know you'd do better then I think it's worth it but alternatively you could just retake some of the modules you didn't do as well in along with A2, I know that bio and chem A2 still contains AS content so you'd have a greater knowledge to retake and an advantage on the people in the year below taking it for the first time. I'd just say if you do do that then check the universities you are looking to apply to and see their policy on retakes, some limit the amount they'll accept. Hope this help, good luck with whatever you choose!
    I think if i did retake the whole year, I would put all my effort in.. Like literally starting from day 1.. As this year I only revised 2 months before the exam which might have led to the results i have today.. Plus, they have also gotten rid of the January exams which means if i do go into A2 i only got one shot at actually getting all the grades right. If i do go into A2 i would have to retake all the exams I have because they are not that good enough for me to get a A or a B. I am really scared at the fact that if i do go into A2.. there are going to be soooo many exams and I wont be able to handle the stress, I would focus on some exams more than the other which will lead me getting worse grades in those subjects. Your advice did help , but do you think going into A2 is a good idea?

ReputationRep:
    Can i apply to lse to read law with these AS results:
    Psychology. B 79%
    Sociology A 84%
    English Lit. B 72%
    History B 78%
    please help me, i was a ****ing ambitious about getting into Oxford to read history but ****ed up :-( because i got stressed in the exam room.
    i cant get i to durham to read history either, can I?

ReputationRep:
    My grades met my insurance choice but not my firm choice. I'm ordering a priority remark. I've let the firm university know about my remark - so they hold my place. Should I let the insurance university know that if I'm getting a remark and so I might not take up their place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ezminnie)
    I think if i did retake the whole year, I would put all my effort in.. Like literally starting from day 1.. As this year I only revised 2 months before the exam which might have led to the results i have today.. Plus, they have also gotten rid of the January exams which means if i do go into A2 i only got one shot at actually getting all the grades right. If i do go into A2 i would have to retake all the exams I have because they are not that good enough for me to get a A or a B. I am really scared at the fact that if i do go into A2.. there are going to be soooo many exams and I wont be able to handle the stress, I would focus on some exams more than the other which will lead me getting worse grades in those subjects. Your advice did help , but do you think going into A2 is a good idea?
    From what you've said, maybe committing to A2 would be a bit too full on... obviously doing A2 is hard enough but you're right, if you've got those exams and then pile on the AS retakes as well, something's gonna give and you don't want that, obviously I think it's an option but by the sounds of it you'd be loads happier just starting again, have you spoken to the head of your sixth form/college about it? They might be able to tell you how previous students have done that were in a similar situation to you?

ReputationRep:
    Flunked big time !!! So disappointed :/

ReputationRep:
    Can i apply to lse to read law with these AS results:
    Psychology. B 79%
    Sociology A 84%
    English Lit. B 72%
    History B 78%
    please help me, i was a ****ing ambitious about getting into Oxford to read history but ****ed up :-( because i got stressed in the exam room.
    i cant get i to durham to read history either, can I?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ECDawson)
    From what you've said, maybe committing to A2 would be a bit too full on... obviously doing A2 is hard enough but you're right, if you've got those exams and then pile on the AS retakes as well, something's gonna give and you don't want that, obviously I think it's an option but by the sounds of it you'd be loads happier just starting again, have you spoken to the head of your sixth form/college about it? They might be able to tell you how previous students have done that were in a similar situation to you?
    Yeah that's what I was thinking.. I spoke to the head of sixth form but their advice didnt really help.. All they said is look at what other options you have and its down to your decision.. But i really want to become a pharmacist, like thats been my aim since i was in Primary, im really interested in sciences too.. I don't know, im in two minds and ive been so confused :confused:

ReputationRep:
    CEE in biology, maths chemistry. D in extended project. any biology courses i can get on?

ReputationRep:
    My conditional offer is AAB, I got A*A*C .. Do you guys think ill still be considered? I've contacted them all day today and plan to tomorrow but I still want an insight :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabeena)
    My conditional offer is AAB, I got A*A*C .. Do you guys think ill still be considered? I've contacted them all day today and plan to tomorrow but I still want an insight :/
    It's possible, but not certain. If your offer was in terms of specific grades rather than UCAS points, strictly you've not met your offer. Has Track updated to show a decision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Illusionary)
    It's possible, but not certain. If your offer was in terms of specific grades rather than UCAS points, strictly you've not met your offer. Has Track updated to show a decision?
    Nope it still says that Aston, which is my firm, hasn't made a decision yet. Still conditional offer :/ they were supposed to email me today but haven't. Going to ring them up tomorrow morning

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.