Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been insulted about your looks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I think everyone has at some point.

When I was a year 9, these two 6th form girls used to follow me and a friend around and shout insulting comments out about our appearances. There was sort of the ring leader and her side-kick. I have to say that insulting comments have always just bounced off me; I really couldn't care less. I like how I look and that's enough for me- damn what other people think. So yeah, I just used to ignore them. Now my friend was constantly getting picked on for her glasses, pale skin and curly ginger hair and this was the final straw and she got very depressed about it and it got to the point where she wouldn't leave the toilets at lunch for fear of being seen.

Never believe you're ugly. Be comfortable in your own skin and don't let the words of bullies hurt you. Wear your insecurities as armor because if you're fine with them then it's harder for other people to hurt you with them I find a good defense to verbal insults is to laugh along with them and make it into a joke or turn it back on them. Generally if people realise they can't upset you with their cruel words they will leave you be and find someone new to pick on! And in the case of comments that are made where people don't mean to be hurtful but are because they're just not thinking about the effect their words might have, just tell them it upsets you. I know it's hard, but most people like this will feel mortified and be more careful in the future.

Just remember there are far worse things in life than being told you have a big nose and that you're fat etc. I'd be more concerned if someone told me I was being cruel, manipulative or vindictive. There are the qualities that make people ugly IMO!

ReputationRep:
    A guy called me Frida Kahlo once because of my eyebrows.
    I also dared to wear shorts to college once and someone shouted in the canteen "look at the size of her thighs!" even though I was/am a size 12

ReputationRep:
    When I was in year 7 and 8, I was bullied. Not massively, but little snide comments here and there eventually took their toll. I remember the main girl had asked me the last time I had washed my hair, to which I replied with "The night before last.". She then said it looked like I hadn't washed it in two years. This was in front of my entire form group. Although I now agree with her, there wasn't a need to mortify me like that. Another girl in the same school had called me "ugly mono-brow girl" to which I began waxing the very very unnoticeable hairs between my eyebrows. Things like that. I think about these incident pretty much every day now. I changed schools when I was in year 9 and nothing like that has happened.

I was also called "ugly" by an online friend. This was also brilliant for my self-esteem(!)

However, I now suffer from depression, a self-harm addiction and an eating disorder, all probably as a result of the mild bullying and various other issues. Nobody at my current secondary school knows of the eating disorder and a lot of the younger years whisper fairly loudly "Oh my god, look how skinny she is" as if I'm not already aware of it :rolleyes:

Also, when I was in primary, I think when I was in the year five or six, a group of friends and I were talking about a kissing and one replied to my comment (can't remember what it was) with "Your big nose would get in the way." Being the age I was I took no notice and just laughed it off, completely unaffected at the time. I now plan to get cosmetic surgery on my nose when I'm eighteen.

ReputationRep:
    Everybody has, whether they know it or not is a different question.

ReputationRep:
    When I went up to secondary school, I lost all of my friends because of this one girl making up all these rumours about me. Had the boys calling me fat and chucking chips at me on the way home, and I had the girls telling me I needed to shave and stuff that an eleven year old ought not to be worrying about. I wasn't fat by any means, but because I wasn't slim, my weight seemed to be the easiest target.

It hurt at the time, but now, a lot of them failed their GCSEs and/or have had run-ins with the police, so I think I came out the better person.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I get mocked all the time for my gap in my two front teeth and because I have ginger hair. Doesn't bother me though. After a while you learn to love your quirks.

ReputationRep:
    I got called Concorde by a guy in year 8 because of my slightlyyy long nose, he also used to pick up on my massive forehead - neither were ever pointed out until I got to secondary school. Catholic kids were mean Ever since year 7 I've had a fringe to hide it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jazzykinks)
    - I was really overweight as a kid. I was bullied from 10-15.
    - I became anorexic and they still called me fat. When my mate pointed out that I was skinnier than all of them, they called me an anorexic rat.

Then the people that bullied me started fancying me -- I was approached by a few in a club because they didn't recognise me. I rejected them and told them my name, they couldn't believe they just got rejected by Killer Whale.

- My ex boyfriend said I looked ugly with short hair.
    - I shaved my head at the beginning of this year. Now, a lot of people say I'm very attractive, but I went to a club and I had a group of 4 blokes laugh at my hair.

I really want to see your hair! I wont offend.

ReputationRep:
    Many, many times! Not recently though as in not in the last 5 or so years. People still say stuff to me regularly, but I never actually feel insulted now because I'm happy with myself.

I grew up with insults about my weight and facial appearance , from family and other kids mainly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, my nose.

Luckily, it doesn't bother me. I learnt to laugh it off, or kick them in the face.

I don't laugh.

ReputationRep:
    Used to be called ugly a lot in school, with one student even suggesting I not sit at their table because I was too 'ugly'.

It's no longer this way though. My face is finally matured and I get stares everywhere I go. However, the fact that I went through so many years of depression and hell made me a lot more understanding and sensitive of people who aren't blessed with good looks. The amount of judgemental people who insult others due to things they can't change is just very depressing.

ReputationRep:
    I got called ugly and ugly b**** by these boys from a neighbouring school when I was 15.
    At the same age, a bunch of boys (who i didn't know) made fun of me on the high street about my looks
    Recently, I heard a group of boys saying that I should be their gf but obviously they were just mocking me as they were laughing etc.
    Now my face is getting uglier lol..

ReputationRep:
    SO MUCH. But as I'm becoming more mature it's getting easier and easier to see how pathetic it was and not let it affect me.

I have very fair skin and am Indian so my skin stands out a lot compared to most Asian tan/dark complexions. There was a boy who kept calling me a ghost, I think he thought he was joking in a friendly way but it really hurt because so many boys were calling me it, and they were all Asian too so I think they found it unusual. At one point, I snapped at a boy when he called me a ghost and he actually said 'I thought you liked being called it', which was probably my fault because I'd laugh the insult off.

I had to do a presentation in front of the class in year 9, about 8 boys were shouting 'ghost' at me so I started reading my notes super fast, the teacher was there shouting at me to read properly, couldn't she see I was getting racist abuse shouted at me by half the class?! Now I think about it I can't believe I wanted to change my skin colour because now I love it! I would literally choose my colour if I could over any other colour.

Also, since I felt so isolated I'd study loads, ended up getting amazing GCSE's got accepted to study my dream AS levels which I thought I wasn't clever enough to do. All the people that insulted me ended up getting waaay lower grades than me, which makes me feel better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Sophie-x)
    My eyes used to change colour a lot when I was younger (now not so much), so kids used to say I looked 'abnormal' and that I was 'weird and belonged on another planet'. It was pretty horrible as a child, because at that time I didn't know any better than to listen to them.

Some people out there can be pretty cruel!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds so cool! :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I got called fat by the first girl I asked to dance when I was 10 years old

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Not so much anymore, but in primary and middle school I'd get a lot of abuse. Not really because people thought I was ugly facially, but I'd get a lot of nasty comments about my weight and my hair (because it was curly and not burnt straight). I find it a little disappointing that the fact that I spent the majority of my childhood bullied to the point where I'd cry myself to sleep and beg my parents not to send me to school is completely disregarded because of the fact I'm considered somewhat attractive now. I don't think it's fair that people can have genuine issues with their appearance due to their past and be labeled an attention seeker just because they got what society consider "lucky" during puberty.

Cue the negs.

ReputationRep:
    I was called a bunion by everyone in my class in year 6 because I had messy hair, and generally just treated like a disease that no one wanted to be around for the entire year...

And then since year 7, no matter HOW messy my hair was, I didn't get a single insult. Life is strange.

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from eczema and at primary school I used to get bullied quite badly for it. People would always ask me what was wrong with me and why I was so scaly. My eczema's a lot better than it was then, but I still feel incredibly self conscious and unattractive because of the comments I used to get

ReputationRep:
    Think a couple of guys mentioned my long hair in secondary school but I ignored them and since I had it throughout GCSE and six-form, they got used to it.

Had a group of chav girls insult me I guess. They were about 14 I'd guess and at a bus stop said "oi you're gay!", I asked why and they said "cos you have long hair, guys aren't meant to have hair like a girl so you're gay!". One of them had short hair, so I asked her "so your friend with the short hair, she has hair like a boy, is she a lesbian?". To my astonishment I got "naaaah what?! Shut the **** up....", surely they understood their own logic? ....and they walked off.

Probably the worst thing which was technically a compliment was when I was walking into town and some American guys drive past in a soft top sports car. They beep their horn and slow down in front of me, guy looks out at me with his big grin on his face, which turns into a look of total horror and he says "OH **** DUDE! I thought you were a girl man! Oh **** sorry dude! Aww ****.." and they sped off. I'm pretty certain it wasn't a wind-up as you really can't fake the look of shock he had and he sounded more remorseful, with his mates laughing at him, than taking the piss.

It's believable really as it's not uncommon for a customer to mistake me for a girl at work, "excuse me darling?" "sorry young lady" etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.