Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to gain muscle and lose fat? *Girl* Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free.Help)
    Is it healthy though? For example, if I replaced lunch (say egg white omlette, veg) with Whey, would this still be okay and good for me? I'm just very wary of taking 'powders' or any sort of pills

Are my workouts enough strength though? I've only been exercisng for 3 weeks now, and I'm still pretty weak, although I do train insane

I do those Jillian Micheals workouts, but I espcially those on Youtube HIIT workouts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9WKyN1rig and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3zAG4zvVpc

Are these workouts enough?
    I'd rather have an egg white omelette with vegetables but whey is hardly bad for you. I have a piece of fruit and whey every morning for breakfast just because it is convenient and I dislike having anything solid in the morning. Nothing wrong with pills and powders so long as you treat them as a supplement as opposed to your diet.

If you can do something for 45 minutes, it isn't strength training. Now that's not an issue for you right now. However, in a few weeks you may need to do the excercises I discussed above in a separate session to start working on strength. It is hard to get high levels of resistance when you're doing something for 45 minutes. For building muscle you'd want to do an excercise at a level of resistance where you are unable to do more than 15 reps.

You might consider doing your HIIT/BW circuits one workout. For your next workout:
    A) 8 reps Pushup with legs elevated at a height you cannot do more than 10 reps
    B) 8 reps Bulgarian Split Squat with elevation or loading that you cannot do more than ten reps
    C) whatever Chin up negatives/Band Pullapart (something for upper back)
    D) 8 reps 1 leg DL

take 30 seconds between each set. Complete 4-5 rounds with 1-2 rounds at a lighter level of resistance as a warmup. That'd give you some kind of strength training effect. Probably take less than 20 minutes as well.

ReputationRep:
    Hey

You will never have complete muscle definition until all the fat is gone 1st, so for the 1st month on so, you should be doing more cardio than resistance training. Also, remember to mix your workouts up a bit as your body gets used to doing the same work out all then time, and as a result, you hit a weight loss plateau.

Circuit training is a brilliant way of keeping your body guessing and to lose weight fast.

Also, toning trainers are brilliant! I love my shape ups, and really have noticed a difference in how toned I am. They are cheap on ebay, and a brilliant investment. If you wear these while doing your exercises, you are working different muscles that you normally wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free.Help)
    I think my BF is 25%, but I know there's no sure way of knowing. Yeah, I need to stop wanting it to happen overnight, but I do hope to get lower BF, a little defination in time for summer (i.e. July?). Is this possible?

Again, it has to be attainable and maintainable i.e. Attachment 207730

Attachment 207731

Thanks for the link though!
    Of course anything is possible with fitness Unless you have some disorder, you and anyone else can achieve what someone else has achieved.

Depending where you are at with bf% (you will need calipers to get the true measurement), you can't lose much quickly eg. 0.1-0.5% a week. Of course this adds up quickly after a few months, thus come summer, you could have dropped enough to look like those pics.
    But to do that you will need to exercise and have a clean diet religiously. Any faffing and cheating and you will be hard pushed to get like that for summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    I'd rather have an egg white omelette with vegetables but whey is hardly bad for you. I have a piece of fruit and whey every morning for breakfast just because it is convenient and I dislike having anything solid in the morning. Nothing wrong with pills and powders so long as you treat them as a supplement as opposed to your diet.

If you can do something for 45 minutes, it isn't strength training. Now that's not an issue for you right now. However, in a few weeks you may need to do the excercises I discussed above in a separate session to start working on strength. It is hard to get high levels of resistance when you're doing something for 45 minutes. For building muscle you'd want to do an excercise at a level of resistance where you are unable to do more than 15 reps.

You might consider doing your HIIT/BW circuits one workout. For your next workout:
    A) 8 reps Pushup with legs elevated at a height you cannot do more than 10 reps
    B) 8 reps Bulgarian Split Squat with elevation or loading that you cannot do more than ten reps
    C) whatever Chin up negatives/Band Pullapart (something for upper back)
    D) 8 reps 1 leg DL

take 30 seconds between each set. Complete 4-5 rounds with 1-2 rounds at a lighter level of resistance as a warmup. That'd give you some kind of strength training effect. Probably take less than 20 minutes as well.
    Is there any workout's on Youtube that you can recommend for this? I'm just very bad at exerecising unless I have someone telling me what to do! Thanks for all your advice though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Of course anything is possible with fitness Unless you have some disorder, you and anyone else can achieve what someone else has achieved.

Depending where you are at with bf% (you will need calipers to get the true measurement), you can't lose much quickly eg. 0.1-0.5% a week. Of course this adds up quickly after a few months, thus come summer, you could have dropped enough to look like those pics.
    But to do that you will need to exercise and have a clean diet religiously. Any faffing and cheating and you will be hard pushed to get like that for summer.
    Yeah, bf is so annoying as you can never tell! Just by looking at myself though, I can see I have a fair bit of BF, I'm one of those 'skinnyfat' people who looks good in clothes, but I usually have an extremely bad diet so all that fat is on my organs/I'm abit flabby

I've tried to get a nice, defined body before but never managed it, I think it was due to not eating right..I really want to get it right this time, it's just difficult with little money/so much different info!

But from what I've learned on this thread, what I plan to do is this:
    1) Eat more protein-as much as I can afford (maybe 40% diet of protein?)
    2) Do some more weight/resistance training maybe twice per week, and HIIT twice per week also.
    3) Obv. Eat clean-train dirty

Wish me luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.