Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    I don't think I could go a week without washing my hair either. I used to wash it every day but have managed to cut down to every other day. I'm hoping that switching to shampoo bars will let me go longer without washing it.

I only tend to brush it every other day before I get in the shower (sometimes I give the front a quick brush). If I brush it properly when it's dry it tends to go a bit fluffy and frizzy.
    I wash mine every other day, but I can't go any longer because it desperately needs washing by then, so I hope that I'll be able to go a little longer without it looking so greasy.. I brush mine every day if it's straight, but if I let it go natural then I tend to brush it through the next morning and spray it with water. Like I said before though, it tends to have a mind of its own so it's rare that it looks nice naturally. Really can't wait for this shampoo bar! My flatmate ordered a bag of herbs for a rinse too, so I might ask her if I could use a bit and see how that goes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshPetite)
    Wow, all of the stories that I've read have been so positive about going shampoo free you sound a lot like me in that respect, I can't grow my hair much longer because it just keeps getting damaged. I think that, like you, I'll be able to grow it if I like the way my hair looks naturally so that I don't feel like I need to use the straighteners all of the time.

And yeah that would be great if you could put some pictures up, if you don't mind
    Here's the pics, hun. My hair journey has culminated over a series of years, so it will be a fairly long post

So, this was my hair when I was a child. I remember lamenting that my hair would never be the same again and that I'd 'lost' my childhood curls! Little did I realise, it was my own self inflicted damage that was costing me the curls I desired.

When I was an early teen, I dyed my hair. Ugh!

Eventually, I got tired of this and cut it all off

You'd think I would have learnt my lesson, right? Nope! I would rip through it with a brush, literally. I would never let it air dry, I always blowdried it until it was dry as a crisp left in the sun, I would straighten it often with no type of heat protectant. I treated it like crap.

Then I dyed it, again LOL (for the record, my hair HATES dye). You can see how AWFUL the condition of my hair was. My ends were disentegrating, it was dry, it was heat damaged. I never wore it natural (air dried) because it looked awful

This was it on a GOOD day LOL

I got fed up again, and chopped it to here:

I started really looking after my hair - not using heat very often, always air drying, stopped using shampoo, deep conditioned it regularly and my hair started to look like this (no product at all!)

It got this long

but I started to slack (this was also when I was in the process of losing weight from nearly 200lbs and was deeply unhappy with myself)

Then, as I lost more weight and got more confident, I started looking after it again.

And now my hair's here I have been a little lacking in the hair care department lately, but it's still MILES healthier than it was a few years ago. By the way, my hemline looks awful because I trimmed recently and the curls don't show any hemline discrepencies.

Sorry for the millions of pics, but I just wanted to show you how much of a difference good hair care makes. I hope this helped!

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity...

Is any of this applicable to guys with short to medium length hair?
    I tend to use Head and Shoulders every day and never condition it, but it is quite dry and I get a bit of dandruff when it's particularly dry.

I also straighten it occasionally.

Would this help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    Here's the pics, hun. My hair journey has culminated over a series of years, so it will be a fairly long post
    Your hair is amazing!
    I'm glad you're embracing it, straightening it almost seems like a crime

Although my hair is only wavy/curly I started noticing that the curls looked a lot better after a month or so without using heat. I think heat messes up your natural hair texture for a while.

You guys have also made me rethink dyeing my hair. Even though I'm only 20 I have quite a bit of grey hair (I have no idea why) so I assumed the only way to cover them was to use harsh permanent dye every 8 weeks. Now I'm looking into gentler alternatives like semi-permanent dye and henna

ReputationRep:
    I'm definitely going to try this! I knew washing your hair regularly was damaging for your hair but I didn't know the shampoo itself was bad for your hair

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is this to me or the OP?

(Original post by Coucou1)
    Wow!!
    I have exactly the same hair as you This thread (and the links) inspired me to try the no 'poo do because I miss my curls and my ends are driving me crazy! Thank god I stopped straightening my hair a while back and because of this my hair started growing. Now I just want it to look healthy.

One question, does your scalp get itchy by not using shampoo?
    Your hair is amazing!
    I'm glad you're embracing it, straightening it almost seems like a crime

Although my hair is only wavy/curly I started noticing that the curls looked a lot better after a month or so without using heat. I think heat messes up your natural hair texture for a while.

You guys have also made me rethink dyeing my hair. Even though I'm only 20 I have quite a bit of grey hair (I have no idea why) so I assumed the only way to cover them was to use harsh permanent dye every 8 weeks. Now I'm looking into gentler alternatives like semi-permanent dye and henna
    Thank you so much! I've never been an every day straightener, but I straightened it too much before and never let it dry naturally. I straighten occasionally now. In fact, my hair is straightened at the moment (first time in 3 months!) but I'm gonna wash it soon as it's reaaalllyy greasy now

Heat definitely does mess up your texture, and it can do so permanently. The less you do it, the better. Ideally, not at all.

I would definitely rethink dying your hair. Although dying your hair is so commonplace, when you actually think about what it does, it's awful. It enters your hair structure and changes it, essentially weakening the hair! Any chemical process is bad news, especially the permanent.

I would recommend henna! Give a lovely golden tint to grays there's a lot of info on it on the link I gave you (LHC). They have a section on the forum for it.

GL honey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    Is this to me or the OP?

Thank you so much! I've never been an every day straightener, but I straightened it too much before and never let it dry naturally. I straighten occasionally now. In fact, my hair is straightened at the moment (first time in 3 months!) but I'm gonna wash it soon as it's reaaalllyy greasy now

Heat definitely does mess up your texture, and it can do so permanently. The less you do it, the better. Ideally, not at all.

I would definitely rethink dying your hair. Although dying your hair is so commonplace, when you actually think about what it does, it's awful. It enters your hair structure and changes it, essentially weakening the hair! Any chemical process is bad news, especially the permanent.

I would recommend henna! Give a lovely golden tint to grays there's a lot of info on it on the link I gave you (LHC). They have a section on the forum for it.

GL honey!
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm hoping I can turn my silver hairs into highlights

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'm hoping I can turn my silver hairs into highlights
    It looks cool, trust me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coucou1)
    What do you use for deep conditioning??
    I can't remember the name now I will check when I get home.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd update that I'm having good results using diluted apple cider vinegar as a conditioner.
    It actually makes my hair really shiny and is really cheap. Also it doesn't weigh your hair down by coating it in a layer of plastic like a lot of conditioners. (Plus it clears up any spots you might have on your shoulders)

It took a while to figure out how to avoid smelling like a caesar salad though

ReputationRep:
    It took a while to figure out how to avoid smelling like a caesar salad though
    This would be my worry! How do you get rid of the smell?? And do you just use normal shampoo? And just splash on some vinegar? (Sorry for all the questions!)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcdermie)
    This would be my worry! How do you get rid of the smell?? And do you just use normal shampoo? And just splash on some vinegar? (Sorry for all the questions!)

It's ok
    I've been using shampoo bars that I bought from here: http://actuallynaturally.co.uk/hair.html because I'm trying to avoid sulphates (dry your hair out) and silicones (coat your hair in a layer of plastic), plus they smell really good.

For the vinegar I put about a tablespoon (or two) of vinegar in an old shampoo bottle and fill the rest up with water. After I shampoo, I squirt the vinegar solution all over my head and leave it for a couple of minutes then rinse it out.
    It smelt bad at first because I didn't dilute it enough and didn't rinse it out for long enough, but now it's good

Beware though that it's not too good if you like your hair to be really sleek and smooth like regular conditioner makes it. Since my hairs pretty fine I've always preferred more of a beachy voluminous look.

ReputationRep:
    It's ok
    I've been using shampoo bars that I bought from here: http://actuallynaturally.co.uk/hair.html because I'm trying to avoid sulphates (dry your hair out) and silicones (coat your hair in a layer of plastic), plus they smell really good.

For the vinegar I put about a tablespoon (or two) of vinegar in an old shampoo bottle and fill the rest up with water. After I shampoo, I squirt the vinegar solution all over my head and leave it for a couple of minutes then rinse it out.
    It smelt bad at first because I didn't dilute it enough and didn't rinse it out for long enough, but now it's good

Beware though that it's not too good if you like your hair to be really sleek and smooth like regular conditioner makes it. Since my hairs pretty fine I've always preferred more of a beachy voluminous look.
    Ahh I literally just ordered one of those soap bars!! Which one do you have? I ordered the peppermint one

Ohh that sounds easy enough ahh does it, hmm my hair is pretty thick and goes kinda frizzed at the roots :/ may try it to see anyway thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I literally just ordered one of those soap bars!! Which one do you have? I ordered the peppermint one

Ohh that sounds easy enough ahh does it, hmm my hair is pretty thick and goes kinda frizzed at the roots :/ may try it to see anyway thanks for the advice!

I have the peppermint one! It smells like peppermint tea
    Then I went kinda crazy and got the ylang ylang one and the babassu jojoba one (my favourite)
    If your hair gets too frizzy you can always use conditioner, just be careful about silicones because they won't wash out with the shampoo bars since they're more gentle than regular shampoo.

ReputationRep:
    Then I went kinda crazy and got the ylang ylang one and the babassu jojoba one (my favourite)
    If your hair gets too frizzy you can always use conditioner, just be careful about silicones because they won't wash out with the shampoo bars since they're more gentle than regular shampoo.
    Oooo yay sound nice! I'm excited for it to arrive- how sad :')

The babassu jojoba one looked nice!! But the peppermint one said it stimulates hair growth and I want my hair to grow!! (Did that work by any chance??)

Yeah I heard about the silicone stuff, is actually so so hard to find products without sulfates or silicones :/ may just give them a miss altogether!

ReputationRep:
    Oooo yay sound nice! I'm excited for it to arrive- how sad :')

The babassu jojoba one looked nice!! But the peppermint one said it stimulates hair growth and I want my hair to grow!! (Did that work by any chance??)

Yeah I heard about the silicone stuff, is actually so so hard to find products without sulfates or silicones :/ may just give them a miss altogether!
    I couldn't really say because I haven't used it for long enough, also my hair grows pretty fast naturally (judging by my horrific roots).
    I'm sure avoiding sulphates will make a difference though, because your hair won't be as dry or as likely to break

ReputationRep:
    Also you've got to let me know how the rosemary and tea tree one works out! I'm either going to try that or the ylang ylang and cedarwood one next
    How long do you find a bar will last?

ReputationRep:
    How do these bars lather? I use the lush shampoo bars atm but they have SLS so these ones look great bit I'm unsure whether they'll actually clean properly? They're cheaper than lush too, another bonus!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaraBelle)
    How do these bars lather? I use the lush shampoo bars atm but they have SLS so these ones look great bit I'm unsure whether they'll actually clean properly? They're cheaper than lush too, another bonus!
    They lather really well just rub them over your hair a lot whilst it's wet, they smell really nice too!! Only used mine once so far and already noticed a difference!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grape:))
    How long do you find a bar will last?
    I haven't used a whole one up but I guess it depends on how often you was your hair. I'd guess that the small bars would last at least 30 washes (that's shampooing twice each time), and the big one's would last twice that.

I guess it's pretty economical. I was my hair every other day (if that) so a small one will last over 2 months for me

(Original post by TaraBelle)
    I think I can explain from what I gathered from my chemistry A-level
    The bars of soap you find in the supermarket aren't actually real soap these days, they're made with SLS. To make real soap you need to add alkali to fats/oils. So these bars are basically soap. They are a big mix of oils (coconut oil etc) which are reacted with alkali to make soap, then after it's all reacted some extra oils are added that don't react (so they can condition your hair).
    I think the main reason that places stopped selling real soap is that it doesn't work the same in all areas, it depends on the hardness of your water. But I live in London with the scummiest water possible and they work fine. I think part of the purpose of rinsing with a vinegar solution afterwards is to stop the water scum from building up though.

Basically they later really well, big and foamy
    If your planning to buy one from that website I'd say that the babassu ones lather the best in my experience.

This website has loads of information:
    http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve...utshampoo.aspx
    I love the look of their products but the postage is just too expensive

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.