Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does Thatcher's death deserve rejoice? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should we be happy about Margaret Thatcher's Death?
    Yes.
    12.95%
    No.
    87.05%

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking from a religeous view: If she was a Christian, then yes - it is a matter of rejoicing. But for those in her family and friends who are sad because she has died, it is a matter of regret, even if they are Christians. We are all only human.

ReputationRep:
    No. And anyone who does should die slowly and painfully. :rant:

<3 x

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher died with no form of power whatsoever (she was a Baroness, but she never went to the House of Lords), she died an old and frail woman. It'd make more sense to celebrate her death if she died whilst she was Prime Minister. People celebrate the death of ruthless dictators who kill millions and hold them in concentration camps for years for saying that they're bad, people like Gaddafi, or Mussolini.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking as a proud member of the far left, no. If she died during her time of office, maybe, however that's just a case that her dying could have prevented some of the negative impacts of her policies. Afterwards as far as I'm aware she had no real power, and hence her dying would not have helped anyone, it would just have caused suffering for her family who would be upset to have lost a loved one.

The same logic that suggests that her death is rejoiceable (if that's not a word I'm coining it right now ) could also be used in favour of things such as the death penalty which we on the left typically oppose by saying:

"The person convicted of murder may be in no position to kill anyone else while he's being taken to the gallows, but he once did, so he should hang"

Which does not make sense to me, frankly. Killing him in self-defence is justifiable as it prevents suffering that would occur as the result of him murdering somebody. However, once he's already been subdued, he is no position to cause any such harm, regardless of his past and should therefore simply be rehabilitated. Revenge is a remnant of the stone age.

With this in mind, RIP to her, and my thoughts are with her family.

However, having said that, I can't blame those who have been badly effected by the things she did for becoming bitter towards her. It's normal to act like that when you've been wronged, as in the example of the murderer. Revenge is irrational, however, I can't force people to think like I do. I'm lucky, I'm not related to anyone who has been killed and I was not alive when Thatcher was in charge. With this in mind, how can I judge those who weren't so lucky?

There is also another irrational behaviour among some people that seems to suggest that just because a person is dead or died recently that they should be free from all criticism and we should only think about the good they've. No, we should treat them the same way we would when they were alive. Also, I'm not in favour of her state funeral. I mean, are we not running out of other people's money? :rolleyes:. But seriously, the rest of us don't get free funerals and granting them to politicians just reaks of martyrdom. It should either be a case of everyone getting them or nobody.

Also, it does annoy me that she's going to be all over the news for a while now and probably this forum, both of which I think I think I'll take a break from until it dies down a bit.

Sorry to ramble.

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid question. No person's death should be rejoiced.
    Except maybe a mass murderer or something.

She deserves the ultimate respect

ReputationRep:
    She has been on her way out for a while, and hasn't had any political influence in years. I'm surprised people really care whether she's alive or dead.

ReputationRep:
    She was still someones mother, it's not like shes Bin Laden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LETSJaM)
    No. And anyone who does should die slowly and painfully. :rant:

<3 x
    We should show that we are better than that.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's disrespectful to rejoice anyone's death - no matter how much they were hated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chapmouse)
    So Margaret Thatcher has died, and it is news. Of course it's news.
    All I'm seeing on my Twitter feed, and my Facebook Timeline is really quite harsh comments about her.
    Comments such as

just make me feel a little bit sad about this planet.

A death is a death, and should never be celebrated.
    Before someone says anything about celebrating the death of 'evil' people such as Hitler; still not okay.

Please share your opinion. If you feel that this is a time for celebration, tell me why you think so.
    speaking of celebrating a death, I remember when Bin Laden was killed, there were pictures on the news of Americans celebrating and waving flags in the streets.

ReputationRep:
    People who are celebrating her death like she was Saddam Hussein are clueless.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No human's death deserves to be rejoiced.

ReputationRep:
    I do wonder how those people who feel the need to celebrate her death would feel if the same were to happen when Arthur Scargill dies?

Though I imagine it wont, for a few reasons.

ReputationRep:
    No.
    But she did contribute to creating the welfare state we have now. Directly ruining peoples livelihoods generally doesn't get you popularity. If you come from any of the towns/communities that were former manufacturing and primary industries you may be able to comprehend the anger towards her because these places have been ruined with no real significant change for the past 25 years.
    Saying that, she led through wars, and kept us out of the Euro and was completely right about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chapmouse)
    Care to elaborate?
    Sure. Of course there is reason to celebrate some people's death, contrary to what the user I quoted was saying. Is celebrating Hitler's death unacceptable, then?

ReputationRep:
    You can't compare Margaret Thatcher to Hitler. Yes we can celebrate Hitler's death. That's because he caused one of the biggest atrocities in human history.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't stand Thatcher, infact I despised her. However, I will not rejoice over death. It is not like she was a child killer or a paedophile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eboracum)
    Anyone cheering or celebrating is a disgrace. You never cheer somebodies death. Ever.
    So if you were a jew back in the 1940's you wouldn't cheer Hitler's death? Okay then :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaylorGang_4)
    You can't compare Margaret Thatcher to Hitler. Yes we can celebrate Hitler's death. That's because he caused one of the biggest atrocities in human history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, well, Thatcher did ban free milk for kids. 1-0.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.