Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just inherited a large sum of money so the world is my oyster this summer. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    51 countries over 3 years of solid travelling, and revisiting 15 of those on a regular basis with work for the last 2.5 years. I appreciate there is more than one way to travel...i have tried most of them...but your advice is flat out wrong for someone considering their first ever backpacking trip...

edit: Just to rain on the parade a little...you're doing A-Levels? That means you're probably still unable to fly alone without a signed note from a guardian (and then only on direct flights), most western hostels/hotels wouldn't let you check in and many countries would not issue a visa for independent travel. Which means you probably did many of your 25 with family, a chaperone or school. Considering that... Unless of course you are a mature student.
    For someone who says he has travelled to so many different countries utilising almost every mode of transport possible, you appear rather immune to other people and their suggestions. She may be considering backpacking, but I personally don't enjoy it, my opinion! I don't know what country you live in, but in England you can fly past 16 without any kind of note. Hotels are the same, if you're booked as under 18. There is no problem. 8 of the 25 were with my family as a child, the rest are with friends travelling around various continents with my friends last year and the year before varying from 16 year olds to 18 year olds. Travelling is far from reserved for the rich, old or university students who want to escape from hard work by taking a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    I have no idea where to go. I've got around 3 months from my last exam to the start of university. I've been talking around travelling for the last year but just haven't had the funds.

I have no idea where to go- I've only ever been to France, Spain and North America. I love elephants more than anything in the world so going to see them in Thailand/Asia would be amazing. Has anyone worked in a conservation for three weeks without it being a rip off?

I'm not sure if I should go alone or with a good friend. I'm quite happy doing things on my own as i'm used to my own company. What parts of Africa are safe enough for two 18-year-old females?

How do you plan a trip around South/East Asia? So many questions and I have no idea where to start.

Any advice welcomed.
    Hi I'll welcome you in ASIA

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea where to go. I've got around 3 months from my last exam to the start of university. I've been talking around travelling for the last year but just haven't had the funds.

I have no idea where to go- I've only ever been to France, Spain and North America. I love elephants more than anything in the world so going to see them in Thailand/Asia would be amazing. Has anyone worked in a conservation for three weeks without it being a rip off?

I'm not sure if I should go alone or with a good friend. I'm quite happy doing things on my own as i'm used to my own company. What parts of Africa are safe enough for two 18-year-old females?

How do you plan a trip around South/East Asia? So many questions and I have no idea where to start.

Any advice welcomed.
    HEY I was planning on doing this too, going along with a famous and well known company that helps the population of third world countries, in numerous ways, e.g education (one topic i wanted to help about was aids and hiv) teaching them football, helping out with specific families, helping out with the construction and so on...you get the picture.. I was hoping to do this after my exams and most prices were under a grand for like 2 weeks. i know a few ways to get the money, but it willl be quite difficult. so anyway, i was thinking, if you find any good and cheap (for my case as you would accept any price) companies that are well known and provide the best experience and accomodation possible, then message me and i will do too, if i find one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrTK278)
    HEY I was planning on doing this too, going along with a famous and well known company that helps the population of third world countries, in numerous ways, e.g education (one topic i wanted to help about was aids and hiv) teaching them football, helping out with specific families, helping out with the construction and so on...you get the picture.. I was hoping to do this after my exams and most prices were under a grand for like 2 weeks. i know a few ways to get the money, but it willl be quite difficult. so anyway, i was thinking, if you find any good and cheap (for my case as you would accept any price) companies that are well known and provide the best experience and accomodation possible, then message me and i will do too, if i find one.
    Don’t do this.

ReputationRep:
    how much money r we tlking here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrTK278)
    e.g education (one topic i wanted to help about was aids and hiv) teaching them football, helping out with specific families, helping out with the construction and so on...you get the picture.. I was hoping to do this after my exams and most prices were under a grand for like 2 weeks.
    Because the ideal way to help the 3rd world is the send planeloads of untrained white people over to teach the kids about the off-side rule, dig a well, and provide their 5th English teacher of the month.

The idea is nice, the reality is tragic.
    The organisation is after your money, and at best the volunteer is tolerated, though in some situations they actually make the situation worse.
    If you're really after helping out somewhere, dedicate a LOT of time and energy into finding a truly suitable opportunity to do so. Chances are it'll be free too.
    If you an all-inclusive volunteering holiday with lots of opportunity for photos with cute kids, furry animals and freshly dug wells, well, the volunteering tour operators would love your money, but obviously they're a big fat middle man standing in the way of the cause...and do take a hefty cut.

ReputationRep:
    Because the ideal way to help the 3rd world is the send planeloads of untrained white people over to teach the kids about the off-side rule, dig a well, and provide their 5th English teacher of the month.

The idea is nice, the reality is tragic.
    The organisation is after your money, and at best the volunteer is tolerated, though in some situations they actually make the situation worse.
    If you're really after helping out somewhere, dedicate a LOT of time and energy into finding a truly suitable opportunity to do so. Chances are it'll be free too.
    If you an all-inclusive volunteering holiday with lots of opportunity for photos with cute kids, furry animals and freshly dug wells, well, the volunteering tour operators would love your money, but obviously they're a big fat middle man standing in the way of the cause...and do take a hefty cut.
    Amen.
    Apparently I’ve done too many today, so I hope this will serve in lieu of a green thumbs-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy45)
    Why not?
    I'm myself considering doing some volunteer work in Africa and a guy I know did it two years back and had a great time, so again why not?
    Just as a side note, "Africa" is not a playground for you to fulfil your fantasies of being in a video-montage surrounded by smiling black children who are eternally grateful for your presence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivy45)
    Why not?
    I'm myself considering doing some volunteer work in Africa and a guy I know did it two years back and had a great time, so again why not?
    Because it’s a vanity gap yah. Sure you’ll have a great time, but it’s fundamentally disempowering and doesn’t alleviate the poverty faced by people in “Africa” – that well known single uniform place where people are poor and exist to provide opportunities for Western kids to find themselves.
    If you genuinely want to do some volunteer work in Africa, build up your skills base so that you have something to offer that the community couldn’t otherwise obtain (say a medical/veterinary/midwifery degree, or a quality teaching qualification).
    And go actually volunteer. For a proper amount of time.
    Don’t pay £2000 so a private company can parachute you in to a local community for a week and teach poor little barefoot kids football. Kids know how to play football. Adults know how to dig wells and build schools and they know the devastation that HIV/AIDs has wreaked. They don’t need young Western kids patronising them so they feel good about themselves.
    You’ll do far more good for people by travelling through, respecting that they are people, paying them a fair rate when they provide services, supporting the big (UN, DfID) political movements that will reform the fundamental structural issues that perpetuate poverty.

ReputationRep:
    Mexico

ReputationRep:
    Well.. not loads but enough for now. I've inherited 6 grand
    not bad at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyas)
    Mexico
    Though your contribution was somewhat unrelated to anything going on by page 3 of the thread, you hit the nail on the head...Mexico is top of my list of places to spend next winter!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, middle-class white girls.

My recommendation is to give yourself a grand to have a bit of fun with, go to a few festivals/road trips and put the rest away.
    Yes I am white but i'm very working class. I've spent the last two years working in a coffee shop along side 6th form. I've been brought up on benefits since my dad died...

Maybe you should stereo-type?

What would I put it away for? A car? Put it towards a mortgage in ten-years-time? Put it away for my wedding?

I have no interest in having a fancy car nor a house, a little flat will do nicely. I've been brought up in an Irish-Catholic family where i've broken all the rules for wanting an education; my other cousins long for their wedding day. No, that's not me. If I get married a little service and a few cucumber sandwiches after will do me nicely

What could be more beneficial to me than widening my cultural experiences and doing things that my family have never dared thinking about. No, i'm going to travel the world.

If that's white-middle-class of me, bring it on!

ReputationRep:

What could be more beneficial to me than widening my cultural experiences and doing things that my family have never dared thinking about. No, i'm going to travel the world.

Good luck to you. I think, with your age and relatively limited travel experience so far, you should stick to Europe initially!
    Hostelling in places like the Former Yugoslavia Republics, Poland, Czech Republic, Baltic States – will give you whole new experiences without being too expensive or too difficult to leave if you’re not enjoying yourself. I had some brilliant adventures in Latvia and Estonia a few years ago, and will be going to Hungary and Bulgaria this summer!

Croatia is lovely! =)

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am white but i'm very working class. I've spent the last two years working in a coffee shop along side 6th form. I've been brought up on benefits since my dad died...

Maybe you should stereo-type?
    If your first thought when granted a large sum of money is "what is the best way I can piss out all of this extra cash I have", you're probably not as "working class" as you think you are.

What would I put it away for? A car? Put it towards a mortgage in ten-years-time? Put it away for my wedding?
    All of these are pretty valid investments.

I have no interest in having a fancy car nor a house, a little flat will do nicely. I've been brought up in an Irish-Catholic family where i've broken all the rules for wanting an education; my other cousins long for their wedding day. No, that's not me. If I get married a little service and a few cucumber sandwiches after will do me nicely
    None of this has anything to do with my statement and your extrapolations (as a justification for 'hanging out with elephantz LOL') are pretty hilarious.

I might have been inclined to support you if I didn't feel your approach was so insipid. For someone who claims to have the intention of "travelling the world to broaden their horizons" your statement reads very much like a girl with insincere intentions who thinks the world exists to cure her boredom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    Considering that I have visited 25 countries in my time, including Japan, Thailand and China (Philippines too but only for 2 days) and i am a student taking his A-levels (not working for the japanese tourist board) i can safely say that Japan is the best place I have visited. A lot can be said about somebody who considers hotels to be lonely and isolated places. If you stay in the right one, they can be far from it. I have stayed in youth hostels, houses of locals, small b&b's and huge hotels with well over 300 rooms. My best place to stay was with a family in Australia last year. They feed you, and make sure you're ok. But you can do what you like, i ended up spending most of my time with their son who went all over sydney with me. Being with the locals is brilliant, when you can speak their language. But if you can't, it can feel like talking to a wall. This is my opinion, and obviously you don't agree with it. I don't know if you travel a lot, but by your reply, you may need to go on a few more trips.
    I've only stayed in a hostel once and that was a month ago in Barcelona. I loved it, I walked up to some random people and was like 'Hi, may I sit with you'. We ended up drinking together for three nights, went clubbing twice and we watched out for each other. I met a random American who obviously brought up quite middle class but had decided to go around Europe with his guitar. He asked me if I wanted to go smoke weed with him at 8am over breakfast.. He was a very interesting character! Then, I met an 40-year-old man who was from Amsterdam who cooked me Chinese. I met so many cool and interesting people just over a four day trip- I would love to experience that again.

I've stayed in many hotels but you don't end up meeting people. I can't say i've kept in touch with people from an hotels. I'm a Geography student who hopes to work todo with the environment after I graduate so petting a panda is my worse nightmare- that Panda should be eating bamboo in China not a tourist attraction!

ReputationRep:
    If your first thought when granted a large sum of money is "what is the best way I can piss out all of this extra cash I have", you're probably not as "working class" as you think you are.
    You don't seem terribly invested in widening your horizons. From what I can apprehend, you seem to have these insipid delusions of what it means to culturally enrich yourself. You're the kind of person that thinks Drew Barrymore's '50 First Dates' was really inspiring and you're dreadfully middle class.
    Meh...at best an irrelevant contribution.

Due to the credit crunch, i found myself with a windfall that could have been a house deposit or a nice car purchased outright. Did i invest it? The hell i did. Blew most of it travelling and through various twists and turns have ended up richer, in every sense of the word, than i ever was before.

Do i regret not having a nice car to cart my arse around in (and they're rarely if ever an investment) or a few tens of thousands less mortgage balance if i'd stayed at home and bought a house? F-No.

A disposable £6k is an amount that many, i dare say most, people will never see sitting in their bank account, and be even less inclined to spend. Props for choosing this path, OP, hope you have fun - any negativity you encounter is, by and large, jealousy

ReputationRep:
    Meh...at best an irrelevant contribution.

Due to the credit crunch, i found myself with a windfall that could have been a house deposit or a nice car purchased outright. Did i invest it? The hell i did. Blew most of it travelling and through various twists and turns have ended up richer, in every sense of the word, than i ever was before.

Do i regret not having a nice car to cart my arse around in (and they're rarely if ever an investment) or a few tens of thousands less mortgage balance if i'd stayed at home and bought a house. F-No.

A disposable £6k is an amount that many, i dare say most, people will never see sitting in their bank account, and be even less inclined to spend. Props for choosing this path, OP, hope you have fun - any negativity you encounter is, by and large, jealousy
    Assuming that all criticism of care-free spending is "jealousy" is rather spurious. We live in a society in which we expect the state to wipe our bottoms when things are tough, only to pee out any cash in the most care-free way possible the second we see a surplus in our bank account. A wide-array of problems from immigration to joblessness could be put down to young adults with the financial mentality of a toddler.

ReputationRep:

All of these are pretty valid investments.

I live in Peterborough, my dream is to get out of here and see the world. I work hard a school so maybe one day I can. But hears the thing, I've been given a large sum of money that I can do things with. If I was to piss it away I would go into Topshop/Jack Wills/Urban outfitters/Zara and buy all the clothes I wanted to buy. I would go out clubbing every weekend driving my nice car to Mcdonalds in the morning to cure the hang over.

None of this has anything to do with my statement and your extrapolations (as a justification for 'hanging out with elephantz LOL') are pretty hilarious.

What's wrong about loving elephants? I'm not a middle-class-white girl who wants a pretty FB profile, I'm a Geographer, Green Peace activist who leads an 'eco-team' in my school. I have elephants plastered over my walls, I doodle elephants when i'm bored and I all emotional when i'm drunk because of the current state of the environment. What's wrong in me wanting to hang out with elephants?

I might have been inclined to support you if I didn't feel your approach was so insipid. For someone who claims to have the intention of "travelling the world to broaden their horizons" your statement reads very much like a girl with insincere intentions who thinks the world exists to cure her boredom.
    What is wrong with wanting to travel the world to cure my boredom? I sit in class longing to travel and meet lots of people

ReputationRep:
    What is wrong with wanting to travel the world to cure my boredom? I sit in class longing to travel and meet lots of people
    You mean mindlessly ambling around a few dirt-poor countries pretending to be more 'enriched' because you got bored of trigonometry?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.