Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So... Who's getting relegated then? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I don't know why but I don't want Stoke to be relegated.
    Stoke hopefully too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    The league table doesn't lie - the teams comparatively bereft of quality will be languishing near the bottom come the final games of the season.

If Villa's (and Wigan's, and Stoke's, and Sunderland's and Reading's and QPR's) squads had quality, they wouldn't be at the bottom reaches of the table.

For a team who 'will not get relegated', since the first game, Villa haven't been out of the bottom half all season. They've spent 28 of 32 gameweeks in the bottom five, and eight in the bottom three. Villa are seriously bereft of quality and are in serious danger of going down, IMO.

Sunderland: 9 in the bottom five, 31 in the bottom half
    Stoke: 0 in the bottom five, 14 in the bottom half
    Wigan: 21 in the bottom five, 29 in the bottom half
    Villa: 28 in the bottom five, 32 in the bottom half

Villa have spent one gameweek less than Wigan in the relegation zone.

I suspect that you're a Villa fan and that I'm a Sunderland fan and with both our clubs facing imminent danger, we're doing all we can to minimise the sense of danger we're feeling. However, when you look at it statistically, Villa are either seriously bereft of Premier League quality or very, very unlucky.
    Sat 6 Apr 2013 - Premier League

Stoke 1 - 3 Aston Villa FT

Sun 31 Mar 2013 - Premier League

Aston Villa 1 - 2 Liverpool FT

Sat 16 Mar 2013 - Premier League

Aston Villa 3 - 2 QPR FT

Sat 9 Mar 2013 - Premier League

Reading 1 - 2 Aston Villa

--------

Our recent form gives me the confidence to say we won't go down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 321zero)
    Sat 6 Apr 2013 - Premier League

Stoke 1 - 3 Aston Villa FT

Sun 31 Mar 2013 - Premier League

Aston Villa 1 - 2 Liverpool FT

Sat 16 Mar 2013 - Premier League

Aston Villa 3 - 2 QPR FT

Sat 9 Mar 2013 - Premier League

Reading 1 - 2 Aston Villa

--------

Our recent form gives me the confidence to say we won't go down.
    In your last four games, you've beaten two teams below you and one marginally above.

Great results for Villa, but you can't just go on recent form alone. If you had quality, you'd have beaten teams above you instead of only getting results against those around you.

Villa's only victory against a team that were in the top half when the game was played is your victory against Swansea, way back in September.

I think you're seeing the world through claret and blue tinted glasses mate.

Your next game is Fulham who are in 'better form', followed by Manchester United. You've then got Sunderland (which could go either way given your home form, so I've plumped for a draw), followed by Norwich, Chelsea and then Wigan on the last day.

The last time you played those six teams, Villa managed to accrue four points. You beat Sunderland, drew with Norwich and lost to Fulham, Manchester United, Chelsea and Wigan.

Fortunately you have the option of picking up points away to Norwich and Wigan because your home form is relegation form, ranking 18/20 for the entire season. Your away form ranks 9/20.

That said, Wigan away on the last day is a bit of a banana-skin.

ReputationRep:
    In your last four games, you've beaten two teams below you and one marginally above.

Great results for Villa, but you can't just go on recent form alone. If you had quality, you'd have beaten teams above you instead of only getting results against those around you.

Villa's only victory against a team that were in the top half when the game was played is your victory against Swansea, way back in September.

I think you're seeing the world through claret and blue tinted glasses mate.

Your next game is Fulham who are in 'better form', followed by Manchester United. You've then got Sunderland (which could go either way given your home form, so I've plumped for a draw), followed by Norwich, Chelsea and then Wigan on the last day.

The last time you played those six teams, Villa managed to accrue four points. You beat Sunderland, drew with Norwich and lost to Fulham, Manchester United, Chelsea and Wigan.

Fortunately you have the option of picking up points away to Norwich and Wigan because your home form is relegation form, ranking 18/20 for the entire season. Your away form ranks 9/20.

That said, Wigan away on the last day is a bit of a banana-skin.
    Which is better damn important in a relegation struggle, no?

We're hitting form when it matters. We have enough quality to surpass the likes of Reading, QPR, Sunderland and Wigan.

I'm not claiming we're a good side or even deserve to stay up after this season's defensive performance, but we will not get relegated. We have a decent manager and some quality players.

Next season, when Villa find a replacement for Petrov and finally sign some defenders, things will change.

ReputationRep:
    so long as the team doesn't begin with N I don't mind who goes down... though there is a preference for the S to go down.

Wouldn't mind seeing QPR stage a miraculous comeback as well, and maybe pull NORWICH down (ok I lied about the N thing) but only because that would be funny.

ReputationRep:
    Would you guys say Newcastle are safe? They look like it - but have a Europa league game coming up. (And in the unlikely event they progress, that could be an issue for them).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninuzu)
    Would you guys say Newcastle are safe? They look like it - but have a Europa league game coming up. (And in the unlikely event they progress, that could be an issue for them).
    Newcastle are safe now unless Wigan beat Manchester City, which would leave the table looking something like

Newcastle 36
    Norwich 35
    Sunderland 34
    Wigan 34
    ---------------
    Aston Villa 34

Newcastle need four points from West Brom, West Ham, Liverpool, Arsenal and QPR.

I don't think they'll get anything from Liverpool or Arsenal, but they should get at least one win and one draw from West Brom, West Ham and QPR, which sees them finishing around the 40 point mark.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Newcastle are safe now unless Wigan beat Manchester City, which would leave the table looking something like

Newcastle 36
    Norwich 35
    Sunderland 34
    Wigan 34
    ---------------
    Aston Villa 34

Newcastle need four points from West Brom, West Ham, Liverpool, Arsenal and QPR.

I don't think they'll get anything from Liverpool or Arsenal, but they should get at least one win and one draw from West Brom, West Ham and QPR, which sees them finishing around the 40 point mark.
    You forgot Stoke.

ReputationRep:
    After the way Sunderland played today I think they will stay up.

Stoke are looking the most likely to go down right now but can Wigan catch up the points they're behind? They usually do but the extra FA Cup scheduling can't be helping.

ReputationRep:
    After this weekend I think it's pretty much confirmed that Reading and QPR are gone. They need 10 points out of 15 to take it to goal difference, and that's if someone in the 34 block doesn't pick up a single point. That last place though is very open. Before today I'd have said Sunderland, Stoke, Norwich, Villa, Wigan in order of likelyhood, but I'd now put Sunderland up with Nowich and Villa, and Newcastle in there too, and say Stoke are most likely. Think it could be any up to Newcastle though.

As a Norwich fan, I think we need 1 more win, and I think we can get that, with Reading, Villa and West Brom to play, in fact I'm pretty confident we can get 4 from those.

Another thing, anyone else think feel that the relegated teams from this year won't be bouncing back? Personally, the only two I can see bouncing back are Villa and Newcastle, but I think think they are not likely to go down. There are a lot of big teams, and there is a lot of money down there. This year has show it's a very tight and competative league. Even this close to the end there are teams in the middle with a decent chance of the playoffs and of relegation.

ReputationRep:
    It's between Villa and Stoke it seems. Villa have still got United AND Chelsea to play...

ReputationRep:
    I think it will be Stoke. They just seem so toothless up front i don't know where goals are gonna come from for them. Anyway if its them good riddance, finally rid of them scum.

ReputationRep:
    QPR Reading Stoke!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Think it's important to remember that Wigan have two games to play in the week after the FA Cup final. If they lose that's going to have a huge effect on them. Especially as one of the games is away to Arsenal who will have their sights on 4th.

Wigan v Villa on the last day will be a huge game.

ReputationRep:
    Stoke and Villa out would be ideal
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I think it'll be Stoke and we fully deserve it. The fans have been begging for change since Christmas and we've been shot down as disloyal and unsupportive. We're just so predictable and easy to defend against now that it's painful to watch.

If we survive it'll be a fluke.

ReputationRep:
    Plzzzzzzz let Stoke go down. Don't really care about the other two.

ReputationRep:
    Will be Wigan, QPR and Reading imo.

Wigan are in poor form, I think the players will start worrying about the cup final too. I think a couple of players will be wary about putting their body fully on the line and risking injury and missing the cup final at Wembley..

So poor form, distracted by the cup and tough fixtures means Wigan are my choice to go down..

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Stoke. Disgusting club with an appalling set of racist fans. Please just piss off back to the lower leagues, vermin scum. Awful accents too, sound like posh Scousers.

Plus one of my most hated people (Johnathon Wilkes) is from there. If you don't know him Wiki him and see what he's famous for. He's a complete ********.

(Original post by madders94)
    Stoke and Villa out would be ideal
    Why Villa?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Hopefully Stoke. Disgusting club with an appalling set of racist fans. Please just piss off back to the lower leagues, vermin scum. Awful accents too, sound like posh Scousers.

Plus one of my most hated people (Johnathon Wilkes) is from there. If you don't know him Wiki him and see what he's famous for. He's a complete ********.

Why Villa?
    Well that was a little harsh

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 15, 2013
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.