Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    when I went to cornwall I used buses with one door so you have to walk past driver seat so say thanks, but I live in london and I don't say thanks because bus is always too packed for him or her to even hear

ReputationRep:
    Most of the time I say thank you, unless the bus driver is being a prick in which case I'll just give them a dirty look.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At my school we (almost) all say thanks as we get off the bus/coach to school, is this typical?

ReputationRep:
    Buses with just a door at the front, I'll always say thank you whether I'm in London or not... although buses where you get off in the middle, they wouldn't hear me anyway so I don't.

ReputationRep:
    I do if I'm getting out at the front of the bus. However, most buses that I take are double decker, so the entrance is at the front with the exit in the middle so I generally end up not having the opportunity to.

ReputationRep:
    I get the bus to school, and normally I say thanks. If we have a driver who drives like a prick, or if they've smoked, or if they've just thrown litter out the door, I won't say thanks. It sounds quite childish and they probably don't care, but it's somewhat satisfying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudge_moon)
    When you get off the bus do you say thank you to the driver? Where I live everyone does it as the get off, but when I went to Bristol to visit my cousin, everyone just ignored the driver and made no conversation or anything.

On a side note, does anyone else find it really annoying when people don't pick up their litter on the bus -.- I was coming home from town when the seat across from me had so much litter on it. I've attached a photo and when I took it most of the empty bottles and stuff had fallen on the floor and rolled around by then, but still. The crisps were only half eaten and there was loads left in the packet and it's such a waste, take it with you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm getting 4 buses a day in bristol at the moment and 95% of people say thank you...

you're giving Bristol a bad name! Don't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    I do if I'm getting out at the front of the bus. However, most buses that I take are double decker, so the entrance is at the front with the exit in the middle so I generally end up not having the opportunity to.
    What? Your double dockers have 2 doors? That's insane!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just one question, do you say thank you to an airplane pilot? Because I actually don't even though he or his crew at least often say goodbye which is what I say too. But I don't say "thank you".

And if you don't say thank you to a pilot why would you thank a bus driver (not dissing the job, but that it is arguably harder to fly a plane and the stigma of crashing with a plane).

ReputationRep:
    London is just a rude, obnoxious place all round.

I think it's a mixture of the over-crowding, pollution, simmering racial tensions and high costs that make Londoners surly and somewhat aggressive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delphinus)
    i'm getting 4 buses a day in bristol at the moment and 95% of people say thank you...

you're giving Bristol a bad name! Don't!
    I'm not giving it a bad name, it's an observation if when I went there. People say devon is inbred, but I'm pretty sure my family nor anyone I know is inbred.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Just one question, do you say thank you to an airplane pilot? Because I actually don't even though he or his crew at least often say goodbye which is what I say too. But I don't say "thank you".

And if you don't say thank you to a pilot why would you thank a bus driver (not dissing the job, but that it is arguably harder to fly a plane and the stigma of crashing with a plane).
    You don't normally see the pilot of a plane, they are usually doing their checks at the start of the flight and unless your one of the last off the plane then you don't see him/her. People usually clap when they land I've found, so I guess that's the same as a thank you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not giving it a bad name, it's an observation if when I went there. People say devon is inbred, but I'm pretty sure my family nor anyone I know is inbred.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What number bus(ses) did you get, out of interest?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't know why I say thank you though, it's just automatic :P like thank you for not crashing? Stopping at my stop? Hah I don't know but everyone where I live says thank you and the driver says thank you back and tells us to have a nice day :P I thought it was just polite and a normal thing to say
    I suppose it's just our culture (same in many places in the world). You trade a service or goods for money and you thank each other. Obviously, some people are too rude to do so, particularly in the busy parts London. Most people in these places look at you like a freak if you stop them to ask for directions.

ReputationRep:
    You don't normally see the pilot of a plane, they are usually doing their checks at the start of the flight and unless your one of the last off the plane then you don't see him/her. People usually clap when they land I've found, so I guess that's the same as a thank you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People clap in maybe 5% of my flights and I haven't had more than 80% clap since I was little. They used to clap when I flew as a kid 15-20 years ago. Things change, my dad used to get so many thank yous and presents from his patients, not anymore.

And I always thought the clap is more from relief rather than as a "thank you".

ReputationRep:
    I always say thank you.

When I was working over the summer with the buses, one bus driver would drive a double decker full of bus drivers to the depot and they all said thank you to the one that was driving as we got off.

ReputationRep:
    Where I live people are 50/50 about saying thank you. But I always say thank you because it doesn't cost you anything to be polite and appreciate them doing their job, plus just by saying 'thank you' it can brighten up their day!

ReputationRep:
    I think if you don't thank them (without good reason to) you're just being rude.. They're offering you a service. They get you from A to B, the least you can do is show a bit of gratitude and thank them.

ReputationRep:
    Most London bus drivers probably don't even speak English well enough to engage in any significant level of conversation anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipoop)
    Maybe not where you are but my side of London says thanks more than not...

I always say thank you, accompanied with a wave

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Must be my side hah.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.