Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Fitch96)
    What about the fitness?
    *sigh* You should have a look at my post in the "pilot vs university" thread.

ReputationRep:
    What about the fitness?
    OK here's an embarrassing story that will hopefully put this matter to bed once and for all.

When I went to OASC many many moons ago I did pretty well in the aptitude testing and I thought pretty well in the leadership and interviews as well. I could definitely hold my own in a debate about worldly affairs and could exchange some banter with the interviewer. I didn't act like a mini-Hitler in the leadership tasks and actually came up with some good solutions that I explained carefully to the team and took on board any ideas or advice they had.

I can't remember my scores before anyone asks me as it was years ago.

However I failed the fitness test. Not by much, but it was still a fail.

Results?

I got through, with an invitation to come and have another go at the fitness test a couple of months later. Funnily enough I got my arse in gear and hit the pavement (it's always the run that gets you) and blitzed the fitness test.

I'm not saying that would happen to everyone. But it does highlight that personal qualities are much more difficult to develop that fitness which can be blitzed in a couple of months.

End of story.

ReputationRep:
    What about the fitness?
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    x
    Similarly...

I went along to OASC, it was my second trip there having previously attempted to get a rarer-than-rocking-horse-poo Sixth Form Scholarship so knew the routine a bit. I was going for Direct Entry at this point after having finished uni.
    I'd taken on board all the point for aptitude tests, for the group exercises, the discussion, the planning, the interview... everything went well, I was happy, confident and had prepared as much as I could for all the relevant bits. I didn't let myself get stressed out, I stayed relaxed. I even 'dared' to have a couple of drinks in the bar the night before, rather than diving to bed at 7.15 like so many seemed to do...
    In the group discussion I took the "devil's advocate" role on a topic I liked the sound of, I actually agreed with the other 5 of the syndicate, but it made the exercise a bit more fun.

When we eventually got to the hangar exercises everybody was still happy and focused, we did our leaderless exercise and began our individual leads. They were all going ok, on each of the first 5 we were definitely along the right lines to finishing the exercises, but ran out of time on each one before we could finish.

Then came mine. It looked deceptively simple. It was. We finished it in about 7 minutes. Wonderful. Except that in lifting one of the planks I'd pulled something in my back....

Fitness test time. Run was fine (it was a bleep test at that stage), press ups were... ok (I've never been great at them, even when I was on IOT) and then sit ups? Failed. The back pull from the hangar had left my back in pain. Only did about half the required minimum number.

10 days later the letter came through, to paraphrase; "redo your fitness test, then start IOT in the summer".

Don't worry about fitness. It's the easiest thing to get good at.

ReputationRep:
    To corroborate with a slightly more contemporary anecdote from last week, 2 candidates joined us on the final day to 're-do' their fitness test, after failing them first time round.

If OASC assess you as selectable (and trainable as an Officer), it's based on the 6 assessed areas (Group Discussion, Group Planning Ex, Leaderless Ex, Hangar Ex, Individual Planning Ex and Interview). Aptitude purely shows your selectability for particular Branches, and although a 'permanently unfit' on the Medical is a red line, a TMU or a fail on the fitness test isn't necessarily end game for your application.

That being said, prepare!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terrorfex)
    Could I bother you to elaborate a bit on this? I'm heading to OASC for Engineering Officer, which I believe is a non-aptitude based career but when I asked if we "All do the same aptitude tests," the answer was "Yes, it's all the same."

Does that mean the aptitude tests for all non-aptitude branches are the same, or that there's no difference between the aptitude and non-aptitude branch tests.

Much obliged for clarification.
    Engineering officers no longer sit aptitudes, neither do any other branch that doesn't require them (currently just ABM, ATC, Int &WSOp) so you'd just do the hangar/group stuff and medical and fitness.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely a good sign you enjoyed it Tina!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    Engineering officers no longer sit aptitudes, neither do any other branch that doesn't require them (currently just ABM, ATC, Int &WSOp) so you'd just do the hangar/group stuff and medical and fitness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It doesn't make the whole process any "easier", but it's very useful to know in terms of preparation focus. Thanks for the information.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just out of curiosity, what aptitude/s are potential Int Officers tested for?

Glad you enjoyed OASC- I'm waiting patiently for my date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calsc85)
    Just out of curiosity, what aptitude/s are potential Int Officers tested for?

Glad you enjoyed OASC- I'm waiting patiently for my date.
    All branches bar Aircrew (who sit a few extra tests) sit the same battery of tests, when you get your joining instructions for OASC they will give you examples of the tests you will sit. The only thing you can do any slight preparation for is basic speed distance time, this will also help you in Part 2.

ReputationRep:
    My only advice is preparation and attitude. They ask everyone the same interview questions, the same planning ex (for that board, it changes for each board). Your worst enemy is yourself, if you go in to it nervous and constantly self analyse and let any little mistakes or negative comments bog you down your self pressure may prevail. Make an effort to practise the planning task they give you and the examples on this forum from a few years back, learn about yourself and in the interview sell yourself, don't just list your job/hobby/social history, phrase it so your positives stand out, what in that job was a position of responsibility, what did you organise etc. It's one of many hoops to jump through and it's only as hard as you make it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    All branches bar Aircrew (who sit a few extra tests) sit the same battery of tests, when you get your joining instructions for OASC they will give you examples of the tests you will sit. The only thing you can do any slight preparation for is basic speed distance time, this will also help you in Part 2.
    But according to #45, only potential WSOps,ABMs, ATCs and IntOs take the aptitude tests. I was just surprised to see Int on the list and was wondering what aptitudes were being tested for that role. Doesn't affect me either way as I'm going for Logistics.

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few similarities/crossovers between Int & ABM. Do you have an OASC date yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But according to #45, only potential WSOps,ABMs, ATCs and IntOs take the aptitude tests. I was just surprised to see Int on the list and was wondering what aptitudes were being tested for that role. Doesn't affect me either way as I'm going for Logistics.
    As an IntO you need to be able to see a lot of information coming in but then decide what's necessary to focus on, to be able to prioritise tasks and workloads and to, in a general sense, be high functioning. The ability to assimiliate, process, understand and use information is the be-all and end-all of their job and the aptitude tests have some very good ways of testing that.

I really enjoyed the aptitude tests when I went through, a lot of fun.

EDIT: not to mention tests for imagery and linguistics, both of which are useful and sought after traits.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry i didn't clarify, i meant for the roles that require aptitude testing as quoted by Tina. The testing is the same other than Aircrew who do extra tests involving pedals.

ReputationRep:
    There are quite a few similarities/crossovers between Int & ABM. Do you have an OASC date yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not yet. My filter went very well but I need a residency waiver. A copy of my foreign police check plus scans of all my passport stamps/visas (and notes explaining each one) has been sent off to Cranwell. Just a case of hoping for the best and continuing to prepare as usual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    As an IntO you need to be able to see a lot of information coming in but then decide what's necessary to focus on, to be able to prioritise tasks and workloads and to, in a general sense, be high functioning. The ability to assimiliate, process, understand and use information is the be-all and end-all of their job and the aptitude tests have some very good ways of testing that.

I really enjoyed the aptitude tests when I went through, a lot of fun.
    Thanks, that makes perfect sense. I was just curious because my initial interest was in IntO and at the time I thought I recalled reading that it was a non-aptitude tested branch- obviously I was mistaken.

Sorry for diverting off-topic; my curiosity is now sated.

ReputationRep:
    I've just been told to expect my OASC date from Cranwell in the next ten days. I'm a little nervous, but pleased to be one step closer to my goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terrorfex)
    I've just been told to expect my OASC date from Cranwell in the next ten days. I'm a little nervous, but pleased to be one step closer to my goal.
    Everyone gets nervous, it's normally 4 weeks after your filter but depends how many branches they opened up at the same time and availability etc. just he yourself, prepare and be confident, someone has to get the job so make sure it's you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.