Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain is tacky and cheap Watch

ReputationRep:
    Why are you complaining about Britain being cheap? It means you get more money in your pocket. Would you like prices to inflate or...?:confused:

But then you'd be complaining about how expensive it is to live in Britain.

ReputationRep:
    So many stereotypes!

"People in London cant interact with each, especially the opposite sex without getting drunk, and many settle with ugly partners"

I think that one is my favourite. You have a problem that some people choose not to have the most physically attractive partner?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by holmes221)
    Yes perhaps my view is slightly bias towards London
    Then to an extent I agree. I don't think you can call the centre of London (companies, architecture, museums etc) tacky but certainly the surrounding areas are a little less romantically British. I think your opening post is a bit over the top but I do agree with some of the points on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    same, did you see what America did to inbetweeners op? Horrific.
    Omg it was awful :| I just think we British have a very particular, dry sense of humor that Americans don't understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorB)
    No... the phrase is

And No. It is rather brilliant once you get your utopian rod out of your ass.

And to quote the USA as a benchmark for "Untackiness"... Have you heard/visited of this place called "Hollywood"?
    Haha, I salute you sir.

I was going to post exactly this!

Britain is blooming brilliant, sure it's cold and everyone's miserable but we have fish n chips, sarcasm and tea. Really you don't need anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:)
    Haha, I salute you sir.

I was going to post exactly this!

Britain is blooming brilliant, sure it's cold and everyone's miserable but we have fish n chips, sarcasm and tea. Really you don't need anything else.
    Well said madame, have a cream tea on me

ReputationRep:
    I'm expecting the mods to scrap this thread...or let it stay live and sit back to watch the negs roll in, for laughs...

ReputationRep:
    For a few years now I can't help but feel that Britain is overall a pretty tacky nation. Perhaps I have been sold by the image of the american dream but theres a number of things.

• Our film industry is majority low budget, usually a indie romance flick or such
    • Hundreds of these cheap halal fried chicken shops in the high-street (not necessarily bad if you're a student but so many)
    • Outside of London lots of boring small towns and villages, with little culture or value for younger people
    • People in London cant interact with each, especially the opposite sex without getting drunk, and many settle with ugly partners
    • In america it seems like an idea could really propel you into wealth, for example if you are a 21 year old nerd you could create something like facebook and become a billionaire
    • No decent beaches or place to go on holiday that isnt a caravan type package type deal, a visit to a medieval town which gets boring after a day
    • Copying of other cultures hard a**edly ie cafe culture, and other Americanisms
    • Stupid low budget television, reality shows
    • Snobby Undeserved entitlement that people show/ insecure
    • club life-Repressed Wannabee thuggish types who are all gob, but when it comes to it they can't attract a girl or are even to shy to try
    • The whole getting a kebab or mcdonalds after going to a bar/club
    • The whole no sex please we're British thing

I was born in Britain
    Now allow me to counter almost everything you mention here:

- Low-budget film industry? Have you seen The Sweeney? Harry Potter perhaps?

- Pretty ignorant generalisation - yes there are several of these kebab shops, but there are also many high-quality independent places to eat, especially in my area (Wanstead)

- What else were you expecting from a village outside a major urban area?

- People getting drunk and having sex - that happens in almost every major city across the globe, not just London.

- Have you not seen Dragon's den? And do Dyson, Virgin and Amstrad not ring bells? Besides, the chances of a 21 year old nerd being a billionaire are 1:10000000. For every lucky sod there's always millions of competing "nerds" who lose out.

- No decent beaches? I take it you've not been to Brighton then? Or St. Andrews? Let me tell you, the beaches here are kept in much better condition than beaches abroad.

- to be fair, Britain wasn't all that different to America in the first place.

- Excuse me? Have you not seen Top Gear? 100% British, and even the Americans agree that our version of Top Gear is better than the *******s version they have. And you say our TV shows are crap? That's why BBC has a channel for subscribers in America right? That's why Doctor Who's so popular across the pond right?

- and as for the last four points, I have to ask...what the ****? Seriously, what the ****...

[EDIT] seems like you're trying really hard to **** Britain off for some reason. But please, come back with valid reasons for once.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For a few years now I can't help but feel that Britain is overall a pretty tacky nation. Perhaps I have been sold by the image of the american dream but theres a number of things.

• Our film industry is majority low budget, usually a indie romance flick or such
    • Hundreds of these cheap halal fried chicken shops in the high-street (not necessarily bad if you're a student but so many)
    • Outside of London lots of boring small towns and villages, with little culture or value for younger people
    • People in London cant interact with each, especially the opposite sex without getting drunk, and many settle with ugly partners
    • In america it seems like an idea could really propel you into wealth, for example if you are a 21 year old nerd you could create something like facebook and become a billionaire
    • No decent beaches or place to go on holiday that isnt a caravan type package type deal, a visit to a medieval town which gets boring after a day
    • Copying of other cultures hard a**edly ie cafe culture, and other Americanisms
    • Stupid low budget television, reality shows
    • Snobby Undeserved entitlement that people show/ insecure
    • club life-Repressed Wannabee thuggish types who are all gob, but when it comes to it they can't attract a girl or are even to shy to try
    • The whole getting a kebab or mcdonalds after going to a bar/club
    • The whole no sex please we're British thing

I was born in Britain
    -Our film industry is fantastic and has produced gems like Harry Potter. We have lots of very talented actors.
    -Agreed on this point.
    -What do you mean, many settle for ugly partners? Don't ugly people get partners in other countries too or are they all spinsters? I just think that, as it happens, British people (if there even is such a thing anymore) aren't the best looking race in the world.
    -This can happen in this country too? Ever heard of Alan Sugar? Richard Branson?
    -You've clearly never been to Bournemouth then.
    -But I thought you favour America over Britain? By your logic surely we should therefore try to be more like them?
    -Yes because these dont exist in America. And the BBC really sucks.
    -Not so much entitlement as resentment that the Tory party is screwing us over, trying to make it look like everyone on benefits earns a lot more than someone who works.

Most of the things you mentioned are probably down to your personal experience and don't reflect the broader "culture" of the country, if there is one.

Incidentally, Sherlock Holmes is a British icon. Only mention it because of your username.

ReputationRep:
    This op is just the funniest. Such ignorance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.