Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Margaret Thatcher get a state funeral? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conorm11)
    No, in fact it didn't.

Eamon de Valera and Sinn Fein declared the Irish Republic in 1918, a whole 2 years and one war of independence before the Treaty went through.

The Irish Republic existed before the 6 counties of Ulster, at that time part of the aforementioned Irish Republic, were wrestled away from it by the British in 1920.
    Not only was the Irish Republic not the ROI, the declarations and wishes of Sinn Fein are not the same as reality. I could today declare France to be part of the UK, that doesn't change the fact that it's not.

And just so you know, it is hypocrisy to say 'blah blah blah' and then say I am trying to not listen to your views. Everything you have said is based on emotive language eg. 'i don't care' 'typical lefty', which while it may make you a decent politician in another life, does not constitute argument.
    No, it's not hypocrisy. It's pretty rich for you to accuse me of not engaging in constructive debate when you're argument was pretty much 'You don't know anything so shut up'.

Oh and the IRA at their inception were the army for the Irish Republic, fighting for Irish independence, something which i think was justified at the time only to be hijacked in the 1960s by a small group of idioits.
    We're not talking about the original war though, we're talking about the Troubles.

ReputationRep:
    She knew she was going to get one when she died, she even requested them not to have a flyover because she said it would cost too much.

ReputationRep:
    'No, no, no.' -Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    No, since she asked not to have one...

Although she completely deserves one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TM94)
    Don't you post in the Newcastle United thread? :lolwut:

If you're a local and supporting a state funeral for her.

Shameful.
    I do. I'm not supporting it. I'm asking opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hilly1)
    Agreed. Look up on history before you make Historically inaccurate biased comments @thebeardedman
    Cheers Hilly1 - couldn't agree more, shame the ole facebook tag doesn't work here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mirey)
    Presumably not the people she made unemployed since they don't pay any tax.

If anything, she's probably paid more tax than them, and in fact funded their benefits.

I suspect that most the people complaining that they don't want their tax money going towards Thatchers funeral have paid very little of it themselves.
    Well the idea right-wingers complain that their tax money funds benefits can't criticise left-wingers for complaining about paying their taxes for a funeral can they? Difference is we'd prefer to spend it helping the living, not the dead.

ReputationRep:
    'given it back'
    Lol.. We don't hold it like a property. NI wants to remain British.
    I know, and before the recession I'd say we weren't too far away from a majority. Just pointing out the ridiculous nature that people vote to stay in a region that perhaps has no real interest in keeping it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKay)
    Wat.
    My parents are/were both working class and definitely not rich but they'd never be where they are today without her.
    Fair enough, I'm generalising here, just out of curiosity, why did Thatchers policies benefit them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrx123)
    didn't Jade from Big Brother get a massive funeral????

I think Margret Thatcher will
    ^ would of given rep if I had any left. Thatchers famous for being infamous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pol pot noodles)
    blah blah blah
    I think you're turning this into too much of a 'thing'. Your original comment implied that the only people who dislike Thatcher are 'a small minority of soppy lefties', which is clearly an outrageously stupid thing to say. Let's leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's really not. Heaven forbids I don't give a toss about people who don't actually even want to be part of my country.

Surely give a toss is a tad extreme, would you sympathise with unionists then if Ireland was united?

I never said she was the PM for NI. I said she was the PM for the UK which NI is part of.

That's because none of the major UK parties stand in Northern Ireland.
    Probably didn't matter, unionist parties were always going to dominate, therefore they probably didn't require any connection

No, it's not, it's factually correct. Infact Northern Ireland came into existance before the ROI did.

Blah blah blah blah blah. Typical leftie, attempting to stifle any views he doesn't agree with.

Or correcting you when you are simply incorrect
    See above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Well the idea right-wingers complain that their tax money funds benefits can't criticise left-wingers for complaining about paying their taxes for a funeral can they? Difference is we'd prefer to spend it helping the living, not the dead.

Yes they can. The right-wingers complaining about their tax money going to benefits is fine as they're paying tax. The majority of people complaining about Maggie Thatcher likely don't pay much in the way of tax, comparatively at least, so it was never their money to begin with.

Here's an interesting point. People say "look at all the unemployed people she made!". Well, what about all the people that are employed? Should you not blame that on her as well?

ReputationRep:
    Surely give a toss is a tad extreme, would you sympathise with unionists then if Ireland was united?
    If they behave in the same manner as the nationalists do in Northern Ireland- no.

Probably didn't matter, unionist parties were always going to dominate, therefore they probably didn't require any connection
    The Tories and Labour are both unionist parties anyway. The DUP especially are generally pretty in sync ideologically with the Tories.

Or correcting you when you are simply incorrect
    Telling me to shut up is 'correcting me' is it?

ReputationRep:
    There was no declaration of war between Argentina and UK therefore it wasn't a war. O_o
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/war

In which case it was an illegal war. It's still a war, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mirey)
    Yes they can. The right-wingers complaining about their tax money going to benefits is fine as they're paying tax. The majority of people complaining about Maggie Thatcher likely don't pay much in the way of tax, comparatively at least, so it was never their money to begin with.

Here's an interesting point. People say "look at all the unemployed people she made!". Well, what about all the people that are employed? Should you not blame that on her as well?
    In my opinion, she divided a nation, she turned people against each other, excluding the individual qualms, she destroyed the idea of society. The idea of communities disappeared. Financially by cutting off half the country she benefited the other half. Ultimately, financially, I don't know, maybe you can argue what she did brought prosperity to the country as a whole, but region by region or socially, what damage she did.

But what logic, in common decency, is it to take £20 a week off the poorest in society and then splash out on a funeral when she is herself a wealthy woman?

ReputationRep:
    If they behave in the same manner as the nationalists do in Northern Ireland- no.

The Tories and Labour are both unionist parties anyway. The DUP especially are generally pretty in sync ideologically with the Tories.

Telling me to shut up is 'correcting me' is it?
    But what do the nationalists do? What have they done?

The UUP over in the north (minority unionist party) had strong ties with the Tories for this election.

I didn't tell you to shut up? I have maintained an argument with all your points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    I think you're turning this into too much of a 'thing'. Your original comment implied that the only people who dislike Thatcher are 'a small minority of soppy lefties', which is clearly an outrageously stupid thing to say. Let's leave it at that.
    No, what's outrageous is a bunch of students who weren't even alive at the time celebrating her death, people claiming to be free of tyranny while waving Soviet flags about, miners blaming her for losing their jobs when Labour closed more mines than she did, people ranting about how she supported apartheid when she did more to end it than any other nation, people ranting about how she made the poor poorer when bottom quartile income increased massively under her reign and she cut the bottom band of income tax, Glenda Jackson ranting about the state of schools, hospitals and pensioners when Thatcher increased spending on those by thirty percent each, people saying she destroyed manufacturing when it actually increased significantly, was still 15% of GDP when she left office and she brought an unprecedent wave of foreign investment to the north from the Japanese.
    More over, what's outrageous is when someone who is working class and hates Thatcher claims that all working class hate her. This is patently false. You haters might be extremely vocal but you are in the minority, no matter how much you attempt to claim otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't tell you to shut up? I have maintained an argument with all your points.
    The post of mine you quoted was itself directed at 'conorm11'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socktor)
    http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/war

In which case it was an illegal war. It's still a war, however.
    Well played.
    I stand corrected.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.