Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Oh well, good for her I guess. I'm certainly not going to do it...
    I had a google and they say that they accept it for some courses, but don't specify which. It appears you have to contact the relevant department and ask expressly if you want to find out. Mech Eng appears to be one that accepts General Studies as the third A-level. I can only imagine it's undersubscribed courses and/or courses where they couldn't care less about the person's ability in subjects other than the one or two required for the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I had a google and they say that they accept it for some courses, but don't specify which. It appears you have to contact the relevant department and ask expressly if you want to find out. Mech Eng appears to be one that accepts General Studies as the third A-level. I can only imagine it's undersubscribed courses and/or courses where they couldn't care less about the person's ability in subjects other than the one or two required for the course.
    Aah. Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would take out English Language and take Politics in its place. English Language isn't as well respected as Literature and it will definitely be easier to cope with if you take 4 AS levels.

As said earlier, universities aren't going to regard you any higher because you took one extra AS. Also, you'll have more time to spend on your other subjects so surely you would do better in them as a result of having less work to do?

ReputationRep:
    I took 5 literacy based AS Levels (Geography, Politics, History, English Lit and R.S). While the workload is certainly intense and the essays seemingly endless, it was manageable. If you love the subjects you plan to study and are willing to put the time and effort in I would certainly recommend it. There is no harm in trying a 5th subject for a while and dropping it if your workload is too much- the worst situation would be a bright student not getting the high grades they could get in 3 or 4 subjects because the 5th was taking up too much time. Also, having gone through the UCAS process this year, all of my offers were based on 3 subjects, so many universities are not concerned about what you do beyond that. In short, only take a 5th subject if you enjoy it and you can manage it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acruzen)
    it's easier to do maths f maths and trip science, than it is to do 5 essay based AS-levels IMO
    I personally would say that M FM and 3 SCI is harder but only because I prefer not writing essays. Like I said, you should ask your teachers on their opinions because they have seen how well you cope with school work.

ReputationRep:
    I take chem bio phy math and ict at alevel
    It's hard but I'm not sure if doable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Very few universities of any standing do anything but laugh at it. It is quite surprising to hear that Sheffield is doing that (whatever the circumstances may be).
    Hello I was wondering I could get some advice.
    i take five As and they are physics chemistry biology maths and ict. I don't know if it is doable or do I need to drop one because I don't know what to be in future?

ReputationRep:
    Remember, A-Levels are waaaaay harder than GCSE's. Doing 5 will be do-able, given that you actually put a lot of work in.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I am planning to do for a levels: maths, biology, spanish, geography and psychology. Is 5 a levels too much? Also, does this combination of subjects give me a wide choice of university courses because i have no idea of what to do at uni.does this combination open up the science courses for me?? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrypiez)
    Hi. I am planning to do for a levels: maths, biology, spanish, geography and psychology. Is 5 a levels too much? Also, does this combination of subjects give me a wide choice of university courses because i have no idea of what to do at uni.does this combination open up the science courses for me?? Thanks.
    With what you suggested, I may be tempted to scrap Spanish straight off the bat, as it isn't, to put it kindly, as well respected by unis and employers as much as, say, maths and physics.

Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Physics open up science uni courses.

Psychology is an essay based subject, so expect to spend an above average time on it. With maths, you will be in one of two camps. If you are good at problem solving and algebra, you will simply get maths right off the bat, no revision required (which I was in the fortunate camp for at AS, i'm in a sad place with A2 at the moment, aswell as physics)

You also need to look at your motivations for doing 5 AS's, and then at least 4 A2s. Is it to get into uni? If that is your main reason, and you want to do a science course at pretty much any mid-top -> top uni (manchesters, nottinghams, edinburghs, durhams, warwicks, oxbridge) then don't bother. They take your top 3 A2 Levels. Nottingham? No lowering of the offer for having more subjects. Oxford? Same story (except in Geology, where they lower from A*AA to AAAA) and I imagine most other unis being the same.

If you are doing it out of your love for the subject, then perhaps think again. If it isn't your true aim, or will be of large benefit to getting you onto uni, then by all means stay in touch with your interests; do some reading, speak to your friends doing the subjects about it and so on (I loved history at GCSE but didn't carry it on to A Level because I want to do Physics at uni, but I still went on a week long History/Politics trip to Berlin over half term, purely to peak my interests.) but by all means, don't let your interest in a subject take precedent over the fact that more A Levels will be a bigger time sink, and quite possibly hurt your grades. At the end of the day, almost everybody who ends up at a particular course gets in based on two things; if they have a motivation and reason for wanting the course, and the grades.

Simply put, get your predicted AS's, and get a good idea of courses. And make sure you ask if having extra subjects will lower the offer! If the majority of unis you like don't want more subjects, just stick with three. I didn't want to drop Biology at the end of AS, but it didn't feature in my plans, and wouldn't affect my offer, so I dropped it. My biology teacher agreed it was, regrettably, the right decision.

When it comes down to it, the most important part of your A Levels is the quality of the subject and the quality of the grades you get. Do high quality subjects and get good grades in them, and you won't be any worse off (probably better off, in fact) than 3 high quality ones and a couple of good ones which you are only choosing because you are interested in them.

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliverG)
    With what you suggested, I may be tempted to scrap Spanish straight off the bat, as it isn't, to put it kindly, as well respected by unis and employers as much as, say, maths and physics.

Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and Physics open up science uni courses.

Psychology is an essay based subject, so expect to spend an above average time on it. With maths, you will be in one of two camps. If you are good at problem solving and algebra, you will simply get maths right off the bat, no revision required (which I was in the fortunate camp for at AS, i'm in a sad place with A2 at the moment, aswell as physics)

You also need to look at your motivations for doing 5 AS's, and then at least 4 A2s. Is it to get into uni? If that is your main reason, and you want to do a science course at pretty much any mid-top -> top uni (manchesters, nottinghams, edinburghs, durhams, warwicks, oxbridge) then don't bother. They take your top 3 A2 Levels. Nottingham? No lowering of the offer for having more subjects. Oxford? Same story (except in Geology, where they lower from A*AA to AAAA) and I imagine most other unis being the same.

If you are doing it out of your love for the subject, then perhaps think again. If it isn't your true aim, or will be of large benefit to getting you onto uni, then by all means stay in touch with your interests; do some reading, speak to your friends doing the subjects about it and so on (I loved history at GCSE but didn't carry it on to A Level because I want to do Physics at uni, but I still went on a week long History/Politics trip to Berlin over half term, purely to peak my interests.) but by all means, don't let your interest in a subject take precedent over the fact that more A Levels will be a bigger time sink, and quite possibly hurt your grades. At the end of the day, almost everybody who ends up at a particular course gets in based on two things; if they have a motivation and reason for wanting the course, and the grades.

Simply put, get your predicted AS's, and get a good idea of courses. And make sure you ask if having extra subjects will lower the offer! If the majority of unis you like don't want more subjects, just stick with three. I didn't want to drop Biology at the end of AS, but it didn't feature in my plans, and wouldn't affect my offer, so I dropped it. My biology teacher agreed it was, regrettably, the right decision.

When it comes down to it, the most important part of your A Levels is the quality of the subject and the quality of the grades you get. Do high quality subjects and get good grades in them, and you won't be any worse off (probably better off, in fact) than 3 high quality ones and a couple of good ones which you are only choosing because you are interested in them.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for so much information! I'm going to have to re-think about my choices now! You said that I'd have to be prepared for doing 4 subjects at A2 level, but do I have to? Can't I dropped 2 subjects (if I do 5 AS levels) and have only 3 A2 levels like everyone else? Also, if I wanted to do a science course at uni, if I only had 1 science A-level such as biology and a maths A-level instead of 2 science A-levels, will I still be able to do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrypiez)
    Thanks for so much information! I'm going to have to re-think about my choices now! You said that I'd have to be prepared for doing 4 subjects at A2 level, but do I have to? Can't I dropped 2 subjects (if I do 5 AS levels) and have only 3 A2 levels like everyone else? Also, if I wanted to do a science course at uni, if I only had 1 science A-level such as biology and a maths A-level instead of 2 science A-levels, will I still be able to do it?
    You will be able to do it, but it will weaken your application. It would be completely dependant on the uni. Normally, what you would expect would be to find that you will be asked to get 1 grade higher at A2 (i.e. from a B to an A), or that uni's say it wouldn't be preferable. When you want to do as much as possible to strengthen your application, it might be worth doing two sciences. Three sciences and maths will get you onto any science course (and some psychology/geology courses) and medicine in a favourable way. My best advice would be to get your predicted grades for AS, and look at some open days at the end of year 11, if only to give you an idea of courses.

As for 5 AS's with 3 A2s, I wouldn't be able to see a point in that. Most unis will accept 2 AS levels in place of an A2 level, but it's your A2s that get you into uni, so it wouldn't benefit an application, and potentially cause more stress down the line when it comes to dropping subjects. Besides which, if your school does the EPQ, then you will have an extra AS level anyway to put with your 4th AS, thus satisfying that condition. I felt genuinely bad when I dropped biology at the start of A2, even though I got an A in it and was really enjoying it (it just didn't figure in my plans. Maths was my best subject, and I applied for mostly physics, and 2 physics/chemistry courses, so it had to go), so I couldn't see double that stress being better.

Alternatively, doing 5 ASs, especially when you are unsure, even if you only do them for a couple of months and then drop out, would be very useful for giving you some direction.

Your predicted grades will also play a very large part in it. If you are predicted straight As at AS, then perhaps try 5 for a couple of months, if only to give you some direction (going to a couple of open days at the end of year 11 was massively useful to me as I was somewhat unsure of what course to take), as more A2s will help you get an offer from oxbridge (not the offer itself, which is typically A*AA for all courses in any order).

If you are looking for any core science course (not social, such as sociology or psychology), then minimum of two sciences is preferable. It also makes you look more motivated and will really help you out come interviews/personal statement.

Simply put, speak to your teachers and get some predicted grades. If you aren't looking at 5 As, then please don't take it the wrong way, but don't look at 5 AS's. If you are, have a long think about what you want to do, and if you are sure about your choices, go with 4 AS/3 A2, preferably with 2 sciences, and if you are thinking oxbridge, or are unsure, try 5 AS's. I certainly wouldn't recommend 5 AS/3 A2. You would also think in a uni's position as to why you dropped 2 A Levels instead of one, and it can make you look somewhat unfocused, which is in no way a bad thing, but applying to uni really is a bunch of hoop jumping and box ticking. Also, speak to your teachers!

Feel free to tell me how you get on; i'm rather interested to know!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=OliverG;45476363]You will be able to do it, but it will weaken your application. It would be completely dependant on the uni. Normally, what you would expect would be to find that you will be asked to get 1 grade higher at A2 (i.e. from a B to an A), or that uni's say it wouldn't be preferable. When you want to do as much as possible to strengthen your application, it might be worth doing two sciences. Three sciences and maths will get you onto any science course (and some psychology/geology courses) and medicine in a favourable way. My best advice would be to get your predicted grades for AS, and look at some open days at the end of year 11, if only to give you an idea of courses.

As for 5 AS's with 3 A2s, I wouldn't be able to see a point in that. Most unis will accept 2 AS levels in place of an A2 level, but it's your A2s that get you into uni, so it wouldn't benefit an application, and potentially cause more stress down the line when it comes to dropping subjects. Besides which, if your school does the EPQ, then you will have an extra AS level anyway to put with your 4th AS, thus satisfying that condition. I felt genuinely bad when I dropped biology at the start of A2, even though I got an A in it and was really enjoying it (it just didn't figure in my plans. Maths was my best subject, and I applied for mostly physics, and 2 physics/chemistry courses, so it had to go), so I couldn't see double that stress being better.

Alternatively, doing 5 ASs, especially when you are unsure, even if you only do them for a couple of months and then drop out, would be very useful for giving you some direction.

Your predicted grades will also play a very large part in it. If you are predicted straight As at AS, then perhaps try 5 for a couple of months, if only to give you some direction (going to a couple of open days at the end of year 11 was massively useful to me as I was somewhat unsure of what course to take), as more A2s will help you get an offer from oxbridge (not the offer itself, which is typically A*AA for all courses in any order).

If you are looking for any core science course (not social, such as sociology or psychology), then minimum of two sciences is preferable. It also makes you look more motivated and will really help you out come interviews/personal statement.

Simply put, speak to your teachers and get some predicted grades. If you aren't looking at 5 As, then please don't take it the wrong way, but don't look at 5 AS's. If you are, have a long think about what you want to do, and if you are sure about your choices, go with 4 AS/3 A2, preferably with 2 sciences, and if you are thinking oxbridge, or are unsure, try 5 AS's. I certainly wouldn't recommend 5 AS/3 A2. You would also think in a uni's position as to why you dropped 2 A Levels instead of one, and it can make you look somewhat unfocused, which is in no way a bad thing, but applying to uni really is a bunch of hoop jumping and box ticking. Also, speak to your teachers!

Feel free to tell me how you get on; i'm rather interested to know![/QUOTE

Thanks for so much information, I really appreciate I as I am a very indecisive person! You should have seen how long I took just to choose my GCSE subjects!

Yeah I see your point about stressing about which subjects to drop at A2 so dropping 2 subjects isn't a good idea.

The problem for me is that I have no clue on what to do at university and I like most of the subjects I'm doing now for GCSE, so I want to make sure as many subject courses are open to me as possible. I quite like science, so I want to make sure science courses are open too, but I don't want to pick 2 sciences because I don't want to limit my options for non-science subjects and also, I have 7 subjects right now which I'm considering to do for AS, and I'm already finding it hard to decide which 4/5 to do, so if I do 2 sciences, it will be even harder to pick only 2/3 (depending on if I do 4 or 5 AS's) other subjects, if that makes sense.

I think I'm going to pick 4 subjects for AS when applying to 6th forms, and then decide in August whether to do 4 or 5, which will depend on how well I do at GCSE. Then, if I do pick 5 subjects, I'll try it for a couple of months like you said, and drop 1 subject if I can't handle the pressure. Good plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OliverG)
    You will be able to do it, but it will weaken your application. It would be completely dependant on the uni. Normally, what you would expect would be to find that you will be asked to get 1 grade higher at A2 (i.e. from a B to an A), or that uni's say it wouldn't be preferable. When you want to do as much as possible to strengthen your application, it might be worth doing two sciences. Three sciences and maths will get you onto any science course (and some psychology/geology courses) and medicine in a favourable way. My best advice would be to get your predicted grades for AS, and look at some open days at the end of year 11, if only to give you an idea of courses.

Feel free to tell me how you get on; i'm rather interested to know!
    Also, if i decide to do only 4 AS's, can i continue all 4 at A2 since i will probably find it hard to decide which one to drop?

ReputationRep:
    You can indeed continue them at A2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.