The Student Room Group

Boys, could you ever fancy a plain/unattractive girl?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Danz123
OP, since I'm going to throw the old 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' line at you, here's what your title really reads:

Fancy = attracted to

plain/unattractive = plain/unattractive to said person.

Title: Boys, could you ever be attracted someone you aren't attracted to?

See what's wrong here?

Good point! :yep:
Original post by Danz123
OP, since I'm going to throw the old 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' line at you, here's what your title really reads:

Fancy = attracted to

See what's wrong here?

That's exactly what I was about to bring up, not quite in those words though, well said.

If we fancy a girl, they're most likely to be attractive in our eyes. I can't say I've ever longed for a girl who I don't find attractive.
Reply 42
Plain =/= unattractive.

In fact, I actually prefer slightly "plain" girls. Personality is the main factor, what is the point in going out with someone that you don't get on with / can't have fun with?

Being able to hold a decent conversation with someone is one of the main things I look for :smile:
No comment!
Reply 44
Original post by Maid Marian
Say there's a plain, unattractive or even slightly ugly girl. If you liked her personality, and she was smiley, happy and chatty around you (but very shy around others), could you ever fancy her?

Or is she completely off limits because of her looks?

(I'm guessing the answer is yes, but humour me).

I could fancy a plain girl although I couldn't fancy an unattractive girl as I don't find her attractive... the question is worded incorrectly as you seem to think plain and unattractive are one and the same when they are not.
Reply 45
Original post by Danz123

Fancy = attracted to

See what's wrong here?

Okay, I worded it wrong :tongue:

I just meant, could a boy fancy a girl if she is *conventionally* unattractive, as in, not nice to look at and not fanciable by general standards. Obviously he would have to find her attractive to be able to fancy her.

I should have said "Boys, could you ever be attracted to a plain/bad looking girl?". That would have been more accurate to what I was getting at.:colondollar:
Say there's a plain, unattractive or even slightly ugly girl. If you liked her personality, and she was smiley, happy and chatty around you (but very shy around others), could you ever fancy her?

Yes, no question.
Reply 47
A plain ugly girl can always have a makeover & be transformed into a pretty girl :smile:

I just meant, could a boy fancy a girl if she is *conventionally* unattractive, as in, not nice to look at and not fanciable by general standards. Obviously he would have to find her attractive to be able to fancy her.

I should have said "Boys, could you ever be attracted to a plain/bad looking girl?". That would have been more accurate to what I was getting at.:colondollar:

I think you would still get the same answer with regard to the bolded.

Could I fancy a girl if she is unconventionally attractive? Yes. Absolutely. My eyes = my reality. General standards, i.e the public. Means **** all :tongue:
Reply 49
You do know that after a while people stop fancying each other and the only reason they stay together is because of personnality, trust, safety, comfort... That is love in some cases, and just conveniance in others.

To be truthful, I never go out with ugly girls, but my definition of beauty isn't the same as my best mates for example, so he may find one of my girlfriends ugly.

As long as you like her, for what ever reason (not a shallow one though, that just causes heartbreak) then all is fine.
To echo what a lot of other guys are saying:

I couldn't have a relationship with someone I wasn't attracted to, and for that she must be somewhat physically attractive (to me). So plain, yes, but unattractive? No.

Just read that you added a bit RE this. She definitely can be 'conventionally unattractive' whatever that means. To throw out 2 examples, there was a girl who most of my friends thought was average looking at best but I thought she was incredibly attractive.

As well as that, there was a girl who I had a bit of a thing for and thought she looked amazing. I always thought 'she's the kind of girl who definitely isn't conventionally attractive but I find her super hot'. Then I talked to friends about her a year on or so and it turned out that everyone thought she was really hot - so because of things like that, I'm not too sure what 'conventionally attractive' really means any more.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51

The answer is a resounding no from me! (About the looks... not the title)

I have seen the most gorgeous girls and with gorgeous girls comes something I cannot stand; constant male attention.

Whether it's getting oogled at in public, or getting flooded with messages from guys on social network sites creating small-talk strictly for the sake of being "friendly" (pfft, yeah right :rolleyes:)

What's worse is that these girls would sit there pretending that they don't know his true intentions, and blissfully ignoring the fact that he wouldn't have looked twice at her profile if she hadn't taken 500+ "selfies"
to find the best one.

The part I highlighted in bold would trump any look she had; simply because it's just so rare. It's possible that I've befriended too many of the "wrong" type of girl, but I'd like her to know I'm her boyfriend, as well as show it.

That'd usually entail being herself around me, but not around every tom dick & harry who walk through the door.

If I can't see the difference in being her boyfriend or her friend (other than the obvious intimate aspects) then either she's being too open with other dudes, or a tad too closed with me.

Anyway, I can go on but this is turning into a td;lr so gonna cut myself off here :colondollar:.

Oh and just gonna address the looks issue before I forget. Yes it's nice to be more attractive, no point beating around the bush. But for very few people is it a defining factor, and if it is, are they really worth trying to establish a relationship with anyway?

Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. Once you get to know somebody, and genuinely like them, they automatically start to look more attractive to you. Perhaps their crooked nose doesn't look as crooked any more, or their massive ears no longer look so big. It's one of God's little gifts I think.
(edited 11 years ago)

Surely you've seen conventionally unattractive girls with boyfriends? So you know the answer?

I'm gonna buck the trend and say I'm unlikely to date a "plain" girl. I don't have a problem with being single, so I'd rather wait for a girl who is pretty and has a good personality. I don't think all this stuff about attractive girls not having good personalities is really true, sounds like a lot of bitterness.
People grow on you
theres people i didnt find attractive but after spending a couple weeks or months in their company find them attractive
I would if she liked anal.
Reply 55
You state if she was ugly. Then no... you wouldn't.
But looks are in the eyes of the beholder, so you wouldn't consider someone you found attractive to be "ugly", so no.

She may be ugly to someone else, but beautiful to you, so yes.

I'm just attracted to who I'm attracted to. If I thought she was attractive to me, then sure, why not?
I find looks of a girl can grow on me after being with them, and it has happened quite a few times.
what kind of question is this? the answer is obviously "yes" or else all the unattractive people would end up miserable and alone! which doesnt happen does it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No.

But then again I'm one of those guys who has crushes on one girl at a time and all my 'energy' is focused on that one girl.

Shame she's a celeb atm...

tumblr_m809dz449K1r1eiz3o1_500.jpg

Why doesn't she tweet me back :cry2:
Original post by Mankytoes
They aren't? **** chance the rest of us have then, I thought they were both considered quite handsome.

Well, people say Matt Smith is hot but I think it's the way he behaves mainly and also girls who find Cumberbatch attractive generally always say that he is not physically attractive but that his voice is nice and his whole manner is attractive. I don't know why :colondollar: It must be hormones
Original post by fuze-mo25
what an oxymoronic title.

the thing is OP you've got it the other way round the person you fancy will be attractive to you. So she might be "plain and unattractive" to everyone but the person who likes her will think she's beautiful.

Aww, that's the cutest thing I have seen/ heard a guy say about love in real life.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending