Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When did we get into this stupid phase of fat coddling? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jmaguire)
    If I could be bothered I'd find sources for what I'm about to say but I really can't so Google it.

Fat was attractive most likely because food was scarce, it was a sign of wealth that you could afford all that food and gorge on it. When sugar was first introduced people ate so much their teeth rotted just to show they could afford to too. Now with food readily available it's shifted to thin. The reason we find certain things attractive lay in evolutionary psychology (and personal stuff also)
    a hips to waist ratio of some 30%? not sure precisely is found attractive (child bearing hips and shows virility/health), having a symmetrical body is found attractive. Clear skin shows health etc crap like that that needs more studying to see why we find things attractive. So we see why people photoshop stuff to make them more attractive, because it sells, making the product with them look more attractive.

As for curvy or fat? Whatever, as long as they're happy but I don't think there are many who would rather be fat than skinny.
    I think we should all just try and be healthy, it's hard to do but we should at least try, whatever body we get from that is fine.
    Exactly. I was going to write that, but you've worded it better.

(Original post by Wilfred Little)
    +1. Her bum is as flat as anything. Hardly the poster girl for "curves" :rolleyes:

She is actually very slim.
    Her bum was not flat at all. Women in those days didn't do squats and HIT. :rolleyes: She had natural curves, not pumped up curves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Her bum was not flat at all. Women in those days didn't do squats and HIT. :rolleyes: She had natural curves, not pumped up curves.
    It's the bum of a pre-pubescent boy. Are pre-pubescent boys curvy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    It's the bum of a pre-pubescent boy. Are pre-pubescent boys curvy?
    I think you should take down that Bowie avatar. You can't pull it off.

(Original post by Anime Lover)
    I think it's quite sad that society felt the need to change clothes sizes as a result of people being so self-conscious about their size. River Island really annoys me... I have size 6 clothes from there that drop off me, and I'm definitely not a 6.
    Really!? I have a size 6 pair of skinnies from RI and I can hardly walk in them they are so tight, and I'm a size 6/8!

ReputationRep:

Really!? I have a size 6 pair of skinnies from RI and I can hardly walk in them they are so tight, and I'm a size 6/8!
    Seriously? XD Maybe we're buying the wrong things! All of their skirts just hang off me but their sizes might vary on both sides of the spectrum. They're definitely inaccurate sizes, whether they're over or under what the actual size should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tabzqt)
    x]
    Do you think that girl with the 6 pack is attractive?

Personally I don't find either of them attractive but if I had to chose I'd pick the larger girl, the muscley girl in my opinion looks gross.

I think the larger but toned figures of Beyonce and Katy Perry are the nicest.

ReputationRep:
    x
    That's ridiculous, fair enough if you want to look fat but I don't get why these people should get all the compliments and people that actually work hard are criticised... The world is just full of immature, conceited idiots that don't want to face reality...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)

Personally I don't find either of them attractive but if I had to chose I'd pick the larger girl, the muscley girl in my opinion looks gross.

Doesn't matter that much to me. The main thing that makes me rage in that picture is all those people telling her she is fine the way she is, when actually she is extremely unhealthy.

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous, fair enough if you want to look fat but I don't get why these people should get all the compliments and people that actually work hard are criticised... The world is just full of immature, conceited idiots that don't want to face reality...
    exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the point made then.

Marilyn Monroe is/was slim and her bum is no more "curvy" than the bum of any woman her size. Yes it is quite flat considering she's being called curvy every 5 minutes. Not sure why you're getting so wound up.

I'm a size 6/8!
    Oh.

ReputationRep:
    Marketing. Please consider that too. Evolution and natural tendencies are good. But the average opinion doesn't even go that far. The average man would most of the time sit in front of his television set and be 'fed with'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popppppy)

The point is that the fat girl is encouraged to feel good about what she is and the ripped girl is vilified for what she is.

ReputationRep:
    x
    That sums it up perfectly, a healthy girl being criticised and an overweight girl being praised, how does that happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    I think I get more annoyed by male sizes, which are based on actual sizes, but in some shops, are something like 4" larger than the claimed waistband. Stupid as anything.
    Remember there is wearing ease. If you put someone with a 30" waist into a pair of trousers with no elasticity which measured exactly 30" they'd be quite uncomfortable. So some of that difference is the ease.

(Google 'dressmaking ease' or 'tailoring ease' for more information)

ReputationRep:
    it's not just the ladies who are getting enormous... the north sea oil rig companies have decided to reduce the number of workers in a helicopter because they are on average 3 stone heavier than a decade ago :eek:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/381...s-told-to-diet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooosh)
    The point is that the fat girl is encouraged to feel good about what she is and the ripped girl is vilified for what she is.
    Yea, sorry I couldn't really see the comments cos I'm on my phone.
    That fat girl started off on tumblr which is full of girls who make no effort with their appearance yet whine that no boys fancy them.
    It's often one big circle jerk of unattractive girls telling each other that they're so wonderful and vilifying guys for not fancying them, meanwhile all they do is post pictures of super hot Hollywood stars and expect boys to look like that.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, obesity is an issue, but I think society perceive it as an issue for the wrong reasons. Obese people need to lose weight because of their health, not because it makes them un-attractive like the media claims it does.

Ultimately, only those with weight problems can do something about it and if they don't want to, well it's their life isn't it?

But as for the whole: 'you need to lose weight because thin is beautiful mantra' is just wrong. People should be able to look how they want and there are worse things in the world than being fat.

But yes, comments like: 'this body coudn't hold my personality' are silly- if you want to be fat then fine but at least be honest about it

I'm not saying we should endorse obesity, but no one deserves to be made feel bad for how they look. There should be more focus on the health side of things, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Sizing is a load of crap.. You can still be skinny but large in certain places..

I wear size 10/12 and I'm not morbidly obese.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. And people like Adele who endorse being overweight and say they 'won't loose weight for the cameras'...
    It's not for the bloody cameras it's for your own health!

ReputationRep:
    x
    This is a rant.
    I HATE this hypocrisy. The other day I was with my friend whom I hadn't seen in a while, and we were looking for Prom dresses. So, I told her I was trying to lose some weight, since I didn't want to be fat anymore, and I wanted to look back at my Prom pictures and see a beautiful girl. Her response was:

'Oh, but it's just the media that's making you think you need to be skinny! That's not REALISTIC! Real women have curves.'

I mean, sure curves are nice, but rolls of fat do not = curves in my opinion. And women are women despite the fact that they may not be Beyonce. And stuff like that is REALLY mean. Do people really think that skinny people have no feelings?? I mean, my really skinny friend once saw a photo that had a skinny girl and a curvy girl, and it was something along the lines of, 'real women have curves'. She just smiled sadly and said 'That's true, they do.' Why should she be made to feel like less of a person? I get that fat people get the same treatment, but why fight it with more bullying?

I think we need less of 'it's okay, you don't need to lose weight, you're beautiful just the way you are' and a little bit more tough love. You don't need to conform to media standards, but the moment you become overweight, you know something's wrong.

Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? XD Maybe we're buying the wrong things! All of their skirts just hang off me but their sizes might vary on both sides of the spectrum. They're definitely inaccurate sizes, whether they're over or under what the actual size should be
    Yeah, the RI sizing is awful. It's not consistently small or big, which is frustrating. It just varies hugely from garment to garment.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.