Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trying to lose weight, have GAINED watch

ReputationRep:
    guys I ve got some nice results~
    Thanks for hot yoga and lemon tea~ Now I m 53kg(178.5cm)from 55kg a week ago.I gave up all sweaty drinks and cookies~ Drank at least 2.5L water (or tea, without sugar)
    My dream of being a model seems closer~
    Less oil and salt makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freja)
    Thanks for hot yoga and lemon tea~ Now I m 53kg(178.5cm)from 55kg a week ago.I gave up all sweaty drinks and cookies~ Drank at least 2.5L water (or tea, without sugar)
    More water is great! Although sweaty drinks don't sound very nice to begin with; don't blame you for giving up those.

Well done on your results so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    I used to get frustrated with how little I seemed to lose weight by exercising, changing my diet etc., but since using MyFitnessPal to record everything that I eat and stick to their recommended daily amount of calories, I've lost an average of about a pound a week - a steady but healthy weight loss. Personally, I've definitely found recording what I eat using MFP more effective for weight loss than just obsessing over exactly what types of foods I eat. Then again, I was probably eating reasonably healthy foods as it was - I was probably just eating too many of them or not enough of particular types of foods on particular days.
    Great advice, would fully recommend using myfitnesspal. You'd be surprised what your actual caloric intake is against what you think it is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freja)
    Great job! You're further ahead than me.
    Although I lost another 2 lbs this week, that's 4 lbs since two weeks ago. Even though fitnesspal has scheduled me for 1 lbs a week is seems to move faster. Now I'm at 61,8 kg and I want to get down in the 50s, although probably not as far down as 55 (I'm 5"9).
    Keeping within my fitnesspal limit really helps. It's just more difficult on the days I'm working, as I have lunch with employees. I try to buy healthy lunch, but it's just difficult to know the exact calorie amount.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    Although I lost another 2 lbs this week, that's 4 lbs since two weeks ago. Even though fitnesspal has scheduled me for 1 lbs a week is seems to move faster. Now I'm at 61,8 kg and I want to get down in the 50s, although probably not as far down as 55 (I'm 5"9).
    Keeping within my fitnesspal limit really helps. It's just more difficult on the days I'm working, as I have lunch with employees. I try to buy healthy lunch, but it's just difficult to know the exact calorie amount.
    Just knowing approximate calorie amounts should be okay, at least for the time being, especially as you're currently losing more than 1lb a week anyway.

I'm due to weigh myself tomorrow morning! TBH, I think I've fallen off the wagon a bit in the past week, so I'd see any weight loss at all tomorrow as a bonus.

ReputationRep:
    Just weighed myself... Wow, I've lost another 2lb! It's certainly showing in my figure, too. :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platinum Mech)
    Just weighed myself... Wow, I've lost another 2lb! It's certainly showing in my figure, too. :cute:
    Well done, that's fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    The main point here is that you have changed things up for one week and then taken two weight measurements and have then assumed that the difference accurately reflects a change in body composition.

This is the main flaw.

Most people's bodyweight will fluctuate a couple of pounds or more throughout the day. Track your progress over a longer period of time and maybe take measurements (e.g. waist or hips) and compare those too.
    Absolutely this.
    "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."
    ---

OP, I'm pretty sure you are eating fine; your issue is the way you were judging your weight loss. Every day your weight can fluctuate by a significant amount that has nothing to do with weight loss (depending on water weight, how much you ate yesterday, bowel movements etc. etc.). If you weigh yourself every couple of days, the difference in your weight between any two days will be much smaller than the possible error: you have no idea if any weight you've gained/lost is actually fat, or if it's just everyday fluctuations.

Either measure yourself less often (say every 2 weeks) and look at each measurement individually, or weigh yourself as often as possible (max once/day) and record all your measurements. Then, rather than looking at the difference in any two measurements, look at the general trend over a period of time (a couple of weeks, for example ).

Apologies if you've already solved your issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Well done, that's fantastic!
    Thanks. :cute:

My physique does look a bit skinnyfat, though. Maybe I'm not exercising enough, not doing enough of the right types of exercises or simply consuming too much sugar.

ReputationRep:
    What exercise do you plan on doing once your gym membership has ran out?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    I used to have the same problem as you.Since I have lunch and dinner in the the school.It's just so junky with variaty of fried food such as chicken or small fish.Anyway there must be some option for u.Vegetables is quite a better choice.Another point to get down with it is to get some water in a empty plate or just pull it into your dishes so that you can reduce a plenty of energy from oil and source. It does work!
    Congretulations for the 4lbs ~step by step and we can get it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    What exercise do you plan on doing once your gym membership has ran out?
    Yoga~
    I just follow the video online and make myself a realizable plan.
    15 mins before sleep is enough.
    Besides, try walking instead of driving.Methords are prevalent. You can do some simple sports when you are doing something else~

ReputationRep:
    The fact that your weight has only changed by 1lb makes me think that it is purely a fluctuation - your weight changes throughout the day, obviously if you'd put on a stone it would be different

The best thing to do is take measurements, and maybe get your body fat percentage worked out the foods you're eating are more likely to be stored as muscle than fat, and so you will put on weight due to the muscle you're gaining!

Keep at it, and do lots of cardio

ReputationRep:
    Are you taking consistent measurements?

Your weight fluctuates throughout the day due to changes in hydration levels. This is easily enough to explain an increase of 1lb. You need to weigh yourself at the roughly the same time of day and roughly the same hydration level.

ReputationRep:
    It probably sounds silly and you may have done it, but always weigh yourself in the morning after you've been to the toilet and before you've eaten/drank anything, also only weigh once a week

ReputationRep:
    Or forget weighing yourself....just eat better and exercise better/more and go off the mirror. Give it two months and you should be a lot better. Just takes time and dedication.

Unfortunately for me I am crapping at the eating and drinking part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    Or forget weighing yourself....just eat better and exercise better/more and go off the mirror. Give it two months and you should be a lot better. Just takes time and dedication.

Unfortunately for me I am crapping at the eating and drinking part.
    Aye can take body measurements instead of weighing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freja)
    I used to have the same problem as you.Since I have lunch and dinner in the the school.It's just so junky with variaty of fried food such as chicken or small fish.Anyway there must be some option for u.Vegetables is quite a better choice.Another point to get down with it is to get some water in a empty plate or just pull it into your dishes so that you can reduce a plenty of energy from oil and source. It does work!
    Congretulations for the 4lbs ~step by step and we can get it!
    Yeah I work part time in a gallery and usually we go out somewhere near to get lunch. If I have a light breakfast I can usually get a baguette or sandwich from Pret a Manger and eat healthy the rest of the day and stay within my calorie limit. But yesterday I got something I couldn't find the calorie amount for, so had to guess.
    It's not too hard really, the 4 lbs have gone off quite easily the past two weeks, so the next month I am hopeful that I can maintain the same weight loss. Also I'm saving up to join the gym again.

ReputationRep:
    Why are people so so concerned with their weight over how they look in the mirror?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about your weight everyone knows muscle weighs more than fat the main thing to control is diet you don't need to starve start by eating 6 smaller meals a day this keeps your metabolism at a maximum through out the day. Also drink plenty of water numerous studies have shown after drinking about 500ml of water your metabolism sppeds up 30 % so constantly drink water. Also one of the most underrated ideas is as simply as after 3 out of your 6 meals a day go for a small walk to aid the digestion of fat. Finally stay away from white rice and bread stick to brown you will see a dramatic change.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.