Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tiger Woods' statement about the penalty incident:

"I didn't know I had taken an incorrect drop prior to signing my scorecard. Subsequently, I met with the Masters Committee Saturday morning and was advised they had reviewed the incident prior to the completion of my round.

"Their initial determination was that there was no violation, but they had additional concerns based on my post-round interview. After discussing the situation with them this morning, I was assessed a two-shot penalty. I understand and accept the penalty and respect the Committees' decision."

What PGA pro worth his salt doesn't know that if you elect to take a drop where you had played your previous shot, you have to drop it as close to the earlier pitch mark as possible, and not, as he decided to do, give yourself an advantage by moving the drop two yards back?

(Original post by TheMagicRat)
    He's been punished for wrongdoing. Quitting would only be to look good and fair in the eyes of the people. The correct punishment at the time was a DQ but after the round the correct decision has been taken. From their statement the officials seem to have been aware of it at the time and didn't act on it. They're the ones at fault here. People are always going to break the rules in sport and it is up to the officials to punish correctly. If you get away with it, so be it. Once again, I'll say that it is not up to Tiger to officiate.

Everyone is loving this though. A bit of controversy is great, especially if Tiger is involved. People will be tuning in tonight.
    Controversy is indeed great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    It helps if you're Tiger Woods and you intentionally **** up, sign your scorecard and get a two-stroke penalty. Anyone else if you do that, DQ as Padraig Harrington got for another tournament for wrongly signing his score-card.

I hope he doesn't win now, if he does then the runner up is going to be turning in his stomach knowing that the winner shouldn't have even been there.

I'm amazed he admitted it post-match - the way he did suggests to me that he feared had he not admitted it then some wide-eyed chap might have outed him (not for the first time in his life) and he would have been humiliated. It's like he was waiting for the authorities to catch up with him rather than they catch him out.

Regarding the coverage - BBC's is more classy. Hazel Irvine is a soothing host and Alliss is a legend accompanied by Ken Brown etc.

Monty has got an ego it seems but that comment by Westwood about the difference being 8 stones was hilarious lol!
    The way he said 'admitted' it didn't sound like an admission, he said it so casually. I think he genuinely thought he wasn't breaking the rules, and from what I've been hearing, the rule was only brought in recently and its barely known, otherwise why did it take so long for the media and all the so-called expert pundits to start reporting on the possibility that he being disqualified?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary Barlow)
    Meh i'll give him the benefit of the doubt with the ruling. There really should have been an official on hand to call it, i mean its common for people to go in the water surely it would make sense to have someone officiating drops.

I'm not sure if he'll win now, his record coming back form these sorts of things is poor. Theres also plenty of capable players above him who i wouldn't expect to drop shots.
    I think Day could hang on and take it; he's always been great at the Masters. Besides him I'm still backing my early call of Snedeker, or Schwartzel could even take it to be honest. Shame about the Brits on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    The way he said 'admitted' it didn't sound like an admission, he said it so casually. I think he genuinely thought he wasn't breaking the rules, and from what I've been hearing, the rule was only brought in recently and its barely known, otherwise why did it take so long for the media and all the so-called expert pundits to start reporting on the possibility that he being disqualified?
    The rule that if you chose to take a drop from where you played the previous shot you must drop as close to the mark as possible is not new. What's new is the rule that retrospective punishment can be meted out if the infringement is noticed on tv footage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    The rule that if you chose to take a drop from where you played the previous shot you must drop as close to the mark as possible is not new. What's new is the rule that retrospective punishment can be meted out if the infringement is noticed on tv footage.
    I saw some American coverage that said he breached this;
    'Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped'

ReputationRep:
    'Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped'
    Oh right, from the coverage it didn't look like he was out of line there Definitely the most complicated rules of any sport.

ReputationRep:
    The R&A probably can't make head nor tail of some of their rules. I'm sure these things could be worded more clearly. I had to read that about five times before I could even try and understand, let alone fully understand it.

ReputationRep:
    It seems they are using Rule 33 to let off Woods, but Rule 33, as said here says, should only let off a player if he didn't know the rule but I guess, Woods, with all of his experience didn't.....

It'll be a shame that if someone like Day, who has played well, has his win overshadowed by this story.

ReputationRep:
    Tim Clark -5 today. Seems good scores are possible.

ReputationRep:
    It seems they are using Rule 33 to let off Woods, but Rule 33, as said here says, should only let off a player if he didn't know the rule but I guess, Woods, with all of his experience didn't.....

It'll be a shame that if someone like Day, who has played well, has his win overshadowed by this story.
    If he realised it was wrong he wouldn't have blurted what he did out in-front of a packed media conference.. Just saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    If he realised it was wrong he wouldn't have blurted what he did out in-front of a packed media conference.. Just saying.
    The only reason I thought why he did that was, incase, some wide-eyed viewer/someone at the event might spot it and report it later on and thus Woods be DQ and humiliated. But that's probably thinking abit OTT.

I can't believe it didn't resonate in his mind when he was saying or after it that he did something wrong, he must have done. Maybe in the bright rays of sunshine, his mind went hazy or he calculatingly made a decision to help himself because he did play an excellent shot second time round. Who knows.

ReputationRep:

If a player doesn't know the rules then surely it's their own fault, I don't see why they should be let off for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    If a player doesn't know the rules then surely it's their own fault, I don't see why they should be let off for that?
    To be fair a "pocket edition" rule book is 220 pages, it's a rule he should have known but everyone forgets something now and again.

ReputationRep:
    My head's fried with all these golf rules discussions tbh. As much as these players get paid handsomely for their careers, can't blame them for not knowing the vast and some of the more obscure rules because golf, as inticate as it is, needs to adjust its rule book gobble-de-gook and simply things. It reminds me of this situation involving Johnson as an example of the golf rule book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    To be fair a "pocket edition" rule book is 220 pages, it's a rule he should have known but everyone forgets something now and again.
    I'd go with that. Usually when ever you take a drop you can move 2 club lengths in any direction as long as it takes you no closer to the hole, which is what Tiger did. In this he was wrong to do it, i dont believe he did it intentionally. The advantage gained from moving a yard on the fairway is far outweighed by the risk of DQ.

Justin Rose ain't too far off, probably the best english hope.

I've just tuned in hope i haven't missed any Ken on the course.

ReputationRep:
    Day looks good atm. The top of the leaderboard filled with USA/Aussies atm. Rose the only English hope although his putting let him down abit today. I'm going for Adam Scott to sneak his way to the top, under-rated player. The old codger Cabrera not looking too bad either.

Rose is our only chance but think he'll do well without winning it. For me, I'm disappointed in someone like Luke Donald. Expect more from him but he can't seem to produce at Majors. Masters should be perfect for him considering he lives in the States and can assess these courses with more frequency. Westwood's had a decent record and intrigued by if he improves any better in Majors with his move to the States.

ReputationRep:
    Day looks good atm. The top of the leaderboard filled with USA/Aussies atm. Rose the only English hope although his putting let him down abit today. I'm going for Adam Scott to sneak his way to the top, under-rated player. The old codger Cabrera not looking too bad either.

Rose is our only chance but think he'll do well without winning it. For me, I'm disappointed in someone like Luke Donald. Expect more from him but he can't seem to produce at Majors. Masters should be perfect for him considering he lives in the States and can assess these courses with more frequency. Westwood's had a decent record and intrigued by if he improves any better in Majors with his move to the States.
    Winning the masters is all about short game in my opinion. Westwood's always been dodgy with the putter. I've always liked Donald, its frustrating to see him to achieve pretty much nothing in every major. I agree Adam Scott might be one to watch if his short games anything like it was at the open.

What are people thinking for winning score come tomorrow, im saying -8/9

ReputationRep:
    I love how Augusta brings players to life. The likes of Cabrera and Couples do nothing all year then the moment they step in Augusta National there is no stopping them.

ReputationRep:
    Adam Scott's moved to 6-.

ReputationRep:
    and then smashes it into the trees on 18 lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.