Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _beccawalker)
    I probably am just being an idiot, I just feel a bitty creeped out that a twenty year old has added a teenage girl on fb and we do know who the other is but not well. I know thst obviously not everyone one my fb knows me well but I feel creeped out by this for some reason
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you're reading too much into it. It's not creepy, at all. :confused: a tutor adds you and Facebook and you think there must be some sinister motive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    I think you're reading too much into it. It's not creepy, at all. :confused: a tutor adds you and Facebook and you think there must be some sinister motive?
    It's still inappropriate. It was bad enough hearing about one of my teacher's vineyards in class, I didn't also need to be inundated with their score on Candy Crush Saga and pictures of them on a slutty weekend.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what year you're in I guess - at secondary school I was really close to the teachers in the music department and had all 3 on Facebook (as did everyone else who was in the school band!) and we had their mobile numbers. even now I've left that school we still remain in contact - there's nothing creepy about it.

At college, the teachers have subject twitter accounts and follow us on them, and some of my friends have their teachers as friends on Facebook. I don't find it weird, but if it makes you feel weird, don't accept him and block him, and if he asks you why you haven't accepted him, tell him you deleted your profile to concentrate on exams or something

ReputationRep:
    Add him, put him on limited/restricted. He'll get the hint.

Btw one of my form tutors dint add students. He said you guys can add me once you leave school. Sure enough he accepted our friend request once we got done with school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Although age is one factor, there are other reasons why it's inappropriate to have contact with teachers outside of school. What age were you when you were texting your maths teacher about non-school related things?
    16/17 years of age. I really didn't see a problem. It was things like how much of a loser he was, nothing too private. Although we pretty much knew his private life inside out xD He brought our class up from Es and Ds in year 10 maths to As and A*s MAINLY (with 5 Bs I think it was?)in year 11 A shame he left school :/

ReputationRep:
    I feel like this is a bit of an overreaction. First of all, there is a big difference between a school teacher adding a student and a personal tutor adding a student. Maybe he added you so as to have an easy way of contacting you should he need to cancel a lesson, or to send you a link to online resources or something. A personal tutor doesn't have the school as an intermediary to do this sort of thing. With him being younger, he may have misjudged the situation because there's not much of an age gap between the two of you. I am 23 for example and work (as a teacher) with students who are between the ages of 17 and 22 , and although I wouldn't necessarily add them on Facebook, I definitely treat them more like peers. There's certainly no ulterior motive on my part.

On the other hand, you shouldn't feel "forced" to accept his invitation, so if you don't want to accept it, just send him a message saying "I'd prefer to keep in touch via email" or whatever. You're perfectly entitled to do that, and you shouldn't worry about him being 'offended'; he's a big boy.

Just please be careful how you discuss and phrase this situation - when I read the title of the thread and your original post, I had the impression of a 40-year-old middle school teacher stalking selected pupils on social networks; which would be an entirely different matter, and certainly cause for concern. It's the sort of thing that could get someone sacked and even criminally charged if taken out of context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnythemoose)
    I feel like this is a bit of an overreaction. First of all, there is a big difference between a school teacher adding a student and a personal tutor adding a student. Maybe he added you so as to have an easy way of contacting you should he need to cancel a lesson, or to send you a link to online resources or something. A personal tutor doesn't have the school as an intermediary to do this sort of thing. With him being younger, he may have misjudged the situation because there's not much of an age gap between the two of you. I am 23 for example and work (as a teacher) with students who are between the ages of 17 and 22 , and although I wouldn't necessarily add them on Facebook, I definitely treat them more like peers. There's certainly no ulterior motive on my part.

On the other hand, you shouldn't feel "forced" to accept his invitation, so if you don't want to accept it, just send him a message saying "I'd prefer to keep in touch via email" or whatever. You're perfectly entitled to do that, and you shouldn't worry about him being 'offended'; he's a big boy.

Just please be careful how you discuss and phrase this situation - when I read the title of the thread and your original post, I had the impression of a 40-year-old middle school teacher stalking selected pupils on social networks; which would be an entirely different matter, and certainly cause for concern. It's the sort of thing that could get someone sacked and even criminally charged if taken out of context.
    Agreed. I'm in contact with a young chemistry tutor whom I stopped lessons with but it feels normal -- similar age etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I didn't expect as much replies as this and was really only asking for peoples opinions on if it was appropriate and it got a bit out of hand. Sorry if I offended you but I just was a little confused about it and didnt feel comfortable knowing that he could see what I do on facebook, I will accept him for now and then put up setting so he cant see the things I dont want him to. I appreciate that it was probably a friendly gesture but it was just something that was a bit out of the blue and unexpected. Thanks for all the replies though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _beccawalker)
    Well I didn't expect as much replies as this and was really only asking for peoples opinions on if it was appropriate and it got a bit out of hand. Sorry if I offended you but I just was a little confused about it and didnt feel comfortable knowing that he could see what I do on facebook, I will accept him for now and then put up setting so he cant see the things I dont want him to. I appreciate that it was probably a friendly gesture but it was just something that was a bit out of the blue and unexpected. Thanks for all the replies though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should apologise! Don't think you've offended anybody

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Edit, sorry phone isn't letting me edit my post
    I meant shouldn't*

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terk)
    Me and my mates were talking with our tutor during tutor time and we found out he had facebook and we said as a joke we'll add him and he explained that we cant have eachother on facebook due to teacher student boundaries etc...

so as far as I know he shouldnt of added you ;/
    I agree.
    Its crossing the boundaries between students and teachers. My college tutor said that as well.
    She explained to us in an internet safety tutorial lesson that it she would let us be friends with her on facebook after we had finished college, but not while we where still at college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    Edit, sorry phone isn't letting me edit my post
    I meant shouldn't*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's cool I just felt it got a tad out of hand haha, I know that he is not doing anything wrong, I personally just felt uncomfortable

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it kind of does cross the boundaries, I'd say accept his friend request but alter your privacy settings. On the plus side if you ever get stuck on chemistry in the holidays and your friends can't help just message him lol

ReputationRep:
    if you think its weird then just don't accept his request and if he asks you about it just say you'd rather not, nothing wrong with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grumpylamb)
    My chemistry tutor added me on facebook. This might sound weird but isnt that crossing the line between being a teacher and a friend? I dont know but there's 4 of us that get him in my year and there's a photo of us 4 and I can just imagine him snooping through my photos and seeing it and stuff. He added one of his other students (my friend) and she accepted so I will probably have to accept cause if not he will ask why I didnt at the next lesson. He is really nice and friendly but a couple of times I felt like he is flirting with me and he is young, he left uni recently. I dont know I just find it creepy that he might look through my photos or whatever and feel like it's crossing a line. Maybe if he added me after I stopped getting him or something but I dont feel its appropriate. Am I being an idiot?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    if your in school or college then he shouldn't be adding you. (dunno about uni)

It's not that having them on fb is illegal but having a relationship outside of the teacher/student relationship is. (unless their a family member or something!) and having them on fb implies a relationship outside of the teacher/student so it's kinda dodgy tbh.

Me and several friends have jokingly said to several teachers across school/college 'we will add you on facebook' but all of them came down hard on it because of what could happen to them if someone reported them.

If you move schools, or they leave the job then you can be friends as there isn't that teacher/student relationship so you ccan do what you want (as long as it's legal!)

saying that, I bet most won't because it can look a bit dodge to future employeers adding student (even if they're former students)

EDIT: If he is flirting/making you feel uncomfortable then you need to tell someone- the head of department maybe? i'm sure they will talk to you then look into it?

ReputationRep:
    I had a tutor on FB, he was a right legend :daydreaming:

ReputationRep:
    Awkwards

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's weird, maybe if he asked you it'd be odd but I have loads of people on fb I don't even talk to..

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he thinks you'll have some chemistry outside the classroom.

...Sorry it just came into my head when I read the title.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he thinks you'll have some chemistry outside the classroom.

...Sorry it just came into my head when I read the title.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.