Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Radio 1 play 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' in this Sunday's Chart Show? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should the song be played?
    Yes, play it
    58.91%
    No, boycott it
    41.09%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jodie_668)
    I definitely don't think that it should be played. I don't agree with much of what Margaret Thatcher did and she isn't one of my favourite people in the world, but at the end of the day, she is someone's daughter, wife, mother, friend and they should not she her disrespected in this way! How would you feel is this was the way your deceased relative or friend was treated? Whatever she did in her life, you should always respect the deceased and their friends and family during this tragic time.
    There is no law saying we have to respect the dead. Their job is to play the songs that have charted for that particular week. This song has charted, therefore it should be played, regardless of the reason it charted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    There is no law saying we have to respect the dead. Their job is to play the songs that have charted for that particular week. This song has charted, therefore it should be played, regardless of the reason it charted.
    Just because there is no law against it, it still doesn't mean that not being respectful to the dead is right. You could say that there is no law that BBC have to play all the songs in the chart.
    You can't stop people not liking her, but imagine if you were her relative or friend and had to have this issue rubbed in your face!

ReputationRep:
    I'll be the first to admit that this campaign is far from the most tasteful. NUS was slammed when a handful of students/officers cheered at a statement of Thatcher's death, and quite rightly. Thatcher leaves behind friends, family, colleagues, and her death is not for celebration. Attack the policies, not the person.

That said, this is a valid form of protest, and one of the BBC's values is to be independent, impartial, and honest, which they have an obligation and a duty to live up to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jodie_668)
    Just because there is no law against it, it still doesn't mean that not being respectful to the dead is right. You could say that there is no law that BBC have to play all the songs in the chart.
    You can't stop people not liking her, but imagine if you were her relative or friend and had to have this issue rubbed in your face!
    It's their job to play the songs in the charts though.

Why do you keep asking me what I'd do if it was my relative? I'd just turn the radio off. I don't listen to chart music anyway, I never have the radio on, people can say what they like about my family, they are all nobodies to me. I doubt her family are bothered, they will already know how unpopular she was. Besides, what we might want as individuals should have no bearing on what society as a whole should do.

I personally find both of the campaigns pathetic and what's more pathetic is the people who've actually bought either of the singles like naughty school children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    It's their job to play the songs in the charts though.

Why do you keep asking me what I'd do if it was my relative? I'd just turn the radio off. I don't listen to chart music anyway, I never have the radio on, people can say what they like about my family, they are all nobodies to me. I doubt her family are bothered, they will already know how unpopular she was. Besides, what we might want as individuals should have no bearing on what society as a whole should do.

I personally find both of the campaigns pathetic and what's more pathetic is the people who've actually bought either of the singles like naughty school children.
    I agree that these campaigns are pathetic! People should just let the her go in peace rather than trying to celebrate it.
    Personally, I don't care what the job of BBC radio is, sometimes you have to let morals overtake whatever your role is and I think that this is one of these times.

ReputationRep:
    There are opposing viewpoints and there is political difference amidst freedom of speech - all things that one welcomes to debate issues in a democratic society. In this particular instance, somebody has died. At the moment, a family is mourning a loss and a great many people are mourning the loss of a colleague and friend. I would expect nothing less from Radio 1 to play it however, for me, a personal attack or even the implication of it shows direspect, a lack of intelligence and maturity and is beyond differences in opinion or even beyond some of the issues that may have originated from her time in office. It's not a question of censorship, it's a matter of basic right and wrong, something that if considered more than it is would solve a lot of problems. If you have issue, debate it. If there is a problem then address it. A personal attack against her aside from being utterly pointless is pathetic and shows the whole country up to be full of incoherent idiots, and just adds fuel to the fire and seeks to further divide an already divided nation. Her time was then - ours is now and I wish everyone would stop moaning and wining about milk, the health service, privatisation, miners or the poll tax, grow a pair and if there's still a problem, look to work together to change it. Ding dong the witch is dead has no bearing on it and aside from anything, should be banned because when all is said and done, it's complete and utter ****e - a whole other kettle of fish.

ReputationRep:
    There is literally no rational argument for buying a song to commemorate her death. I think this is disgusting. The fact that the Left in particular (saying nothing about their political views here) can continue to push this campaign is disgusting and disgraceful. It's nothing less than dancing on somebody's grave. Have respect for the dead especially when they were trying to help you. I find the entire thing childish, puerile, and pathetically bitter. Also stupidly ironic as they are feeding the so called evil Capitalist corporations such as Apple and Amazon by buying the ****ing song.

ReputationRep:
    So it reached #2. The real joke in all this is the fact that the actual song itself is better than the #1 song.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure the BBC are going to play the song briefly, which doesn't really appease anyone.

I feel sorry for the bloke that had to make the decision though. He said it himself, he's ****ed either way.

ReputationRep:
    So it just missed out on the 1# spot so I guess they dodged a bullet.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.