The Student Room Group

Fourth A Level; History or Biology?

Scroll to see replies

If you're capable of an A in Biology take it and not History
Reply 41
I'm currently doing Biology and i regret taking the subject. Possibly because of the exam board (if you're doing edexcel, i strongly suggest you reconsider). Don't just go ahead with the subject because you enjoyed it at GCSE (like i did) but look into the specs and ask your teachers. It's 100x harder at A level and you need to be dedicated. Personally i think the only time you should take any science at A level is if you know what you're doing in uni or as a career and it requires it.

Having said that, it depends what kind of subjects you enjoy as well. I'm more comfortable with comprehension subjects and it looks like you are too by the subjects you've chosen, e.g. sociology and i'm assuming psychology/history are similar.

Be realistic with the decisions you make, all in all it depends on which subjects you can get the most UCAS points with, or if you're heading for a degree that requires certain A levels then go ahead with that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do history at A level and I love it, it's my favourite subject but I always hated biology - so for me, I'd easily go for history but it also fitted in with my other subjects very nicely (English, French, psychology) and history is a well-respected subject unis look for.

However, so is biology and since I do psychology at a level like you, I can tell you that I'm a slight disadvantage because I don't do bio when it comes to topics like stress but it's not a huge thing - you can still do it without bio, it just helps a bit with learning and applying to unis.

You should carry on with whichever you'd prefer to learn - biology would probably help you more but if you're not as good at it as you are at history, then take history - better to come out with a better grade. I'd carry on with my favourite of the two (which would be history) :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by IC3DOutStunn4
Biology is a tier 1 subject according to Cambridge University and is respected the same as Maths, Chemistry, Further Maths & Physics, so you're fine with that. History is Tier 2 which is are still respected to a good degree. Sociology & Psychology are Tier 3 subjects which are also fine. They are not really respected but are not frowned upon either. They avoid the dreaded tier 4 which are subjects such as Media studies, Film Studies, Photography & Law. That being said i don't think it would be wise to swap out History/Biology with Law.

Hope I helped :smile:

What tier is french and languages, do you know?

Thanks
Original post by Peace&Love
What tier is french and languages, do you know?

Thanks

French and other Modern Foreign languages are in tier 2 on the list.
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
Original post by IC3DOutStunn4
French and other Modern Foreign languages are in tier 2 on the list.
http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

It's split into tiers A,B and C. That is in tier A2, which are proper subjects for arts, while A1 is for sciences... they're both equally respected, just for different purposes
Original post by The Essayist
Biology is really easy! What were your grades in your AS exams and this January module for A2?

I did not do a January module in Biology

but I am doing F212 and F211 in June and I cannot nail the exam technique

Seriously finding it hard
Original post by The Essayist
What did you get last year?

Biology GCSE? A*

Quick Reply

Latest