Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    Nope, it was a biological group. We didn't attempt to grow a crystal because my supervisor didn't think an X-ray structure was necessary, but when I just left stuff in a vial to evaporate, crystals didn't form, they just became very glass like.
    shame; no one would argue your spectra once you have an x-ray structure. it is like what better proof is there right, hehe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shengoc)
    shame; no one would argue your spectra once you have an x-ray structure. it is like what better proof is there right, hehe
    I think part of the issue is that they were very difficult to purify well, and also I'm starting to think that the alkylations were not very diastereoselective (d.e. only about 40%), which I guess makes it much less likely to crystallise. This also makes the NMRs even more fun, as more overlapping peaks!! If I do have diastereomers, they cospotted on TLC/columns, but then the molecule is so large it's not that surprising. Half tempted to just fudge it, not like anyone is going to check anyway!

ReputationRep:
    I think part of the issue is that they were very difficult to purify well, and also I'm starting to think that the alkylations were not very diastereoselective (d.e. only about 40%), which I guess makes it much less likely to crystallise. This also makes the NMRs even more fun, as more overlapping peaks!! If I do have diastereomers, they cospotted on TLC/columns, but then the molecule is so large it's not that surprising. Half tempted to just fudge it, not like anyone is going to check anyway!
    i am really bad with steoreochemistry - all these diastreomers are reigniting the nightmares i had with organic tutorials. strange though, i actually really like organic, and worked the hardest in it, yet it has always been my worst scored paper. the contrary is true for physical in my case.

oh btw, i didnt get my funding to go work for Dom. am going to try my luck again next year. you got plans for next year already?>

ReputationRep:
    i am really bad with steoreochemistry - all these diastreomers are reigniting the nightmares i had with organic tutorials. strange though, i actually really like organic, and worked the hardest in it, yet it has always been my worst scored paper. the contrary is true for physical in my case.

oh btw, i didnt get my funding to go work for Dom. am going to try my luck again next year. you got plans for next year already?>
    Ah that's a shame. All the people I've met in Dom's group have been really friendly, so good luck next time! I haven't got any plans for next year, but definetely won't be doing a PhD, I'm very relieved not to have to go into a lab ever again Gonna go travelling/ski season or something like that, then find a job, but no idea what lol.

ReputationRep:
    What sort of lab? I presume from how long you'll be spending that it's synthesis of some sort? I reckon I was in the department from 9-6 every day this year too, but we had a lecture or two most mornings as well.
    Methodology or synthesis, not sure what project exactly. I only know who I am working for, not any more yet.

cambridge part III seems to have written paper components as well. our part II is entirely lab-based with a thesis + viva at the end. my last written papers were finals at end of third year.
    Yep, mine will be purely lab based. They do try to encourage you to go to lectures given by visiting academics however! Also, my supervisor/current tutor just got bumped up to a professor! (WIN!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMaydom)
    Methodology or synthesis, not sure what project exactly. I only know who I am working for, not any more yet.
    Fair enough. Synthesis was fun... for a while. Then I just found it was a chore being in the lab all day, every day, and missing sports matches and the like because of it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.