Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Samsung Galaxy Mega Announced- How big is too big? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aoxa)
    Imagine walking around talking on one of those or texting. It would be practically impossible.
    I had an N7 briefly and now an iPad Mini, I type out messages with two thumbs on it all the time and facetime people. It certainly isn't impossible to imagine doing the same on a Note 2 or one of these Megas.

Who cares what random strangers on the street think, if anything they probably feel inferior squinting at their tiny screens, tapping out messages with one finger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarahftw_)
    Did you not rotate the phone landscape? Or was that still small?
    Well, yeah, but also when you do that the keyboard blocks off most of the screen making it impossible to see much. It's a little bit better for being able to place your thumbs on the screen than portrait but you can't simultaneously check past messages or see more than a few words that you're typing at any one time. They're just too small. I think phones with screens in the high 4"s are a decent place to start in terms of comfortably using a phone. iPhones, in my opinion, are behind the times. Apple still hang onto this ridiculous idea of only releasing one phone at a time and that phones should be able to be operated with one thumb. I just don't think it's the most important reason that should influence screen size.

ReputationRep:
    When I first got my 4.7 inch android device a year ago I thought that was massive. And looking at it just lying around my bed it seemed huge, but with time I started to become used to it and now I'll never go back to a smaller phone if I had the chance. To me, bigger does mean better to a certain extent of course. Comfort and practicality does come into and if a phone is too big people aren't gonna enjoy using if it hinders those two things I mentioned.

If I'm being honest though, the most comfortable sized screen which offers the best balance of good comfortabilty and media entertainment potential is around 4.3 - 4.6 inches, cause sometimes with my current 4.7 inch HTC I have to slightly stretch my thumbs to reach the top corners of the display or just resort to turning the phone landscape, this is coming from a guy with massive hands btw.

Would just like to add that anyone that gets a 6.3 inch phone would be very idiotic to also buy a small tablet as the difference in screen sizes would be minimal. They would have to buy a really massive tablet to make the purchase worthwhile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    :giggle:

Phone screen sizes are getting stupid, im put off by Nexus 4 as I think its too big to be practical and that isn't even that big compared to others. I want a phone that can easily fit in my pocket. I think Steve Jobs had it right when he said that 3.5" is the optimal most comfortable screen size, the iphone 4/4s just looks right for a phone in my opinion.
    You could not be more wrong. I have a 3.5" screen, it's horrible. Absolute torture. I only use it when I can't use my tablet(for phone calls and messaging when out and about, occasionally internet when I'm out and can't find a hotspot). You just can't see a thing on a 3.5" screen, you have to squint at everything. There's also not enough space to type. It is the furthest thing from optimal. Frankly it couldn't be any smaller.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really see the appeal of huge phones but I probably would have said the same if I'd seen the HTC One X a couple of years ago. It's something you just get used to, now when I use my old Wildfire S it feels horribly small, its landscape keyboard seems smaller than the One X's portrait one, madness!

I wonder how long it'll be before Apple start competing in the larger handset market. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I have a N7, so most the media functions such as video and games are kinda redundant for me when it came to choosing a phone. TBH, when I went for a new phone, it was a toss up between the Xperia Z and the One. I went for the One because it's screen felt better.

There are certainly a myriad reasons for getting phone A over phone B though and I agree - it's almost a minefield finding the right one!
    Fair enough. I own a N7 too so I know what you mean, it just comes back to "it depends on your purposes." For you and I it would be a bit redundant but if I were buying a new phone I'd still probably end up at 4.5" give or take, quite likely more rather than less. I think we're on the same wavelength on this.

I think a lot of people forget this. It's a lot more noticeable in the tablet world but in phones it seems people forget a bit that they have different needs.

ReputationRep:
    :giggle:

Phone screen sizes are getting stupid, im put off by Nexus 4 as I think its too big to be practical and that isn't even that big compared to others. I want a phone that can easily fit in my pocket. I think Steve Jobs had it right when he said that 3.5" is the optimal most comfortable screen size, the iphone 4/4s just looks right for a phone in my opinion.
    What phone do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    When I first got my 4.7 inch android device a year ago I thought that was massive. And looking at it just lying around my bed it seemed huge, but with time I started to become used to it and now I'll never go back to a smaller phone if I had the chance. To me, bigger does mean better to a certain extent of course. Comfort and practicality does come into and if a phone is too big people aren't gonna enjoy using if it hinders those two things I mentioned.

If I'm being honest though, the most comfortable sized screen which offers the best balance of good comfortabilty and media entertainment potential is around 4.3 - 4.6 inches, cause sometimes with my current 4.7 inch HTC I have to slightly stretch my thumbs to reach the top corners of the display or just resort to turning the phone landscape, this is coming from a guy with massive hands btw.

Would just like to add that anyone that gets a 6.3 inch phone would be very idiotic to also buy a small tablet as the difference in screen sizes would be minimal. They would have to buy a really massive tablet to make the purchase worthwhile.
    Damn it, Ice Constricter! I can't rep you again. Great post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    You could not be more wrong. I have a 3.5" screen, it's horrible. Absolute torture. I only use it when I can't use my tablet(for phone calls and messaging when out and about, occasionally internet when I'm out and can't find a hotspot). You just can't see a thing on a 3.5" screen, you have to squint at everything. There's also not enough space to type. It is the furthest thing from optimal. Frankly it couldn't be any smaller.
    I agree. And you know what's funny is that the iPhone 4 has a 3.5" screen yet the bezel makes the phone so big that it's comparable to the HTC Desire X which has a 4" screen. So it may be the same size but the iPhone 4 has so much wasted screen space. You could arguably get around 4.0" of actual screen on the iPhone 4 design if you tweaked it a bit and it'd be no bigger.

Just goes to show that phones are actually quite big and the bezel takes up a lot of space. Just look at the Galaxy S3 and S4. The S4 has a 0.3" bigger screen but is actually a touch smaller than the S3. So even though it has a big screen it's no bigger physically. And yet i still hear people say 5" is too big when it's not.

ReputationRep:
    When I first got my 4.8 inch phone, it did look big and for about 1 week it was a bit awkward, but now, after around 7 months of use, I would never go back to a phone below 4.6 inches. I might have to stretch slightly to touch the top of the screen, but now I barely notice it, its something like an instinct.

Honestly, I can't seem to think why somebody would buy a 6.8 inch phone when there are other smaller phablets such as the Note 2, but to each his own. Maybe somebody does have a practical use for it. After using it for many months, maybe you get used to it and would not go back to a smaller phone. Larger phones are getting increasingly popular, maybe Samsung knows what its doing, or it is just spamming products left, right and center. :P

ReputationRep:
    Well I would not say im wrong as pointed out by the numerous other people on this thread who have shared my view, we simply disagree. I have an iphone 4 which is 3.5" and find the screen size to be perfect, I can use the phone with one hand which I like to do and I have no problem whatsoever with seeing the screen. Im not sure what phone you are referring to but my experiences with an iphone text is crystal clear. I would suggest you go have your eyes tested if you can't see a thing.

The size of the phone also easily fits in my pocket which is a major selling factor for me as I rarely carry a bag with me. How do all you people with these big phones carry them about with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sum Gai)
    I agree. And you know what's funny is that the iPhone 4 has a 3.5" screen yet the bezel makes the phone so big that it's comparable to the HTC Desire X which has a 4" screen. So it may be the same size but the iPhone 4 has so much wasted screen space.

Just goes to show that phones are actually quite big and the bezel takes up a lot of space. Just look at the Galaxy S3 and S4. The S4 has a 0.3" bigger screen but is actually a touch smaller than the S3. So even though it has a big screen it's no bigger physically. And yet i still hear people say 5" is too big when it's not.
    Another thing people neglect to take into consideration. In all fairness it is understandable but shouldn't be. It does make size comparison considerably more complex.

ReputationRep:
    The size of the phone also easily fits in my pocket which is a major selling factor for me as I rarely carry a bag with me. How do all you people with these big phones carry them about with you?
    In my pockets.

Honestly, aside from work trousers, I can comfortably put my Nexus 7 in most my trousers' pockets.

ReputationRep:
    I might just get this as well, just to see how it is :lol:

It actually looks as big as a calculator when held on the palm! :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    What phone do you have?
    Iphone 4, im looking to upgrade soon.

I would also like to point out I don't have a particular allegiance to Apple, in my previous post I was only referring to the phone size not the features.

ReputationRep:
    Well I would not say im wrong as pointed out by the numerous other people on this thread who have shared my view, we simply disagree. I have an iphone 4 which is 3.5" and find the screen size to be perfect, I can use the phone with one hand which I like to do and I have no problem whatsoever with seeing the screen. Im not sure what phone you are referring to but my experiences with an iphone text is crystal clear. I would suggest you go have your eyes tested if you can't see a thing.

You must have missed my point where i said you can get 4" screen phones at that size as well. (and thinner). So is it just the iPhone that appeals to you? Or is it the size of the phone?

Because otherwise you'd be arguing that 4" phones are a good size as well.

ReputationRep:

It was hyperbole, comparing how easy it is to read on larger screens than diddly 3.5" screens.

I can fit a 7" tablet into my pocket. Phones much larger than your own can manage it if my tablet can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    In my pockets.

Honestly, aside from work trousers, I can comfortably put my Nexus 7 in most my trousers' pockets.
    Do you wear clown trousers?

I wear mostly jeans and a Nexus 4 let alone a Nexus 7 wouldn't fit in comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    Damn it, Ice Constricter! I can't rep you again. Great post.
    It's the thought that counts (to your post in reply to agentsushi +1)

ReputationRep:
    Do you wear clown trousers?

I wear mostly jeans and a Nexus 4 let alone a Nexus 7 wouldn't fit in comfortably.
    Nope. Jeans that have room for my testicles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.