Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrazzaq)
    How much was yours? I am in an en suite too though.
    Mine was £99. I wouldn't pay 20% more for en suite, even if it was still fully catered.

Unfortuntly my loan was £4 less over the year than my accomodation. So i had pretty much no money ever.

ReputationRep:
    As many people have said, It is ALL about sensibility. If you are willing to budget, you will have a surplus remaining out of the £50.

What sort of person are you ? Do you like going out/clubbing ? Are you a fan of eating out ? These sort of things will have a big effect upon your spending habits.

When i lived away from home last week, I'd spend about £15 a week on food, but that was only 2 meals a day but the evening meals were good meals, the secret is to home cook, laziness incur's costs unfortunately.

I noticed someone mentioned toiletries, If i was you, ask your parents to buy you a years supply of items like that, i know my Mum started buying one item a week of toiletries and by the time it was time for me to move away i had a years supply !!

Stuff like that helps you go a long way.

ReputationRep:
    I made myself a budget for most things. My monthly budget is 305. Which pays for food/extras/fuel/sports outside of uni/mobile phone and my one luxury my cineworld unlimited card. As there's a cineworld just down road from uni. For 15.90 a month I can go to as many films as I like. I tried to budget for most things like I got a book budget and a Christmas and birthdays budget. Which will be for when it's needed. Then I got a budget for the one of cost suck as tv licence/ parking permit/ rent in one go/ car insurance/mot/service/tax. Plus my intention is not have money that I don't spend as back up and saving. My intention is for myself to be comfortable. Plus be able to do things I enjoy within a budget. Which is why I got a sports budget per month for sports outside of uni. Plus my extras so that the extras is just for nights out or what ever else I want. Weekly am looking at roughly 50. 30 food, 20 extras, 45 on fuel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    £50 could last me over 2 weeks, but then again, I'm a professional scrimper.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.