Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Thoughts on racial pride watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I mean, or ationality is usually just an accident of Geography, and we can't exactly change our race.

I always feel that you should never be ashamed of where you come from tho. I consider myself British, but I know my heritage is Bangladeshi and i try to know as much about it as i can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HaQ_mAn_)
    Yeah I mean, or ationality is usually just an accident of Geography, and we can't exactly change our race.

I always feel that you should never be ashamed of where you come from tho. I consider myself British, but I know my heritage is Bangladeshi and i try to know as much about it as i can
    Your 'race' is just a sequence of DNA! You're right though, in that there's nothing wrong with trying to remember your past and where you come from. It's just when it turns into a belief that a past has to be preserved at all costs and cannot be subjected to change, which is futile. All things and all cultures change.

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that all minorities seem to be proud of their race , but I can accept that. It's a way of elevating themselves in society and giving them pride when someone confronts them about their race. On the other hand , most whites that are proud of their race are normally unattractive , fat , from up north , unemployed and highly lacking in the intelligence department. They need something to be proud of because they have nothing. So they choose their race. At the end of the day , these people are going to end up in some sandwich shop serving bacon and cheese baguettes or something. Don't take any notice of them.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by SorryInAdvance)
    Who says they don't have a right to be here? In my view an illegal immiangrent ( sorry about spelling) who comes into to Britain with a makeshift raft and paddle has more right to call to call themselves brittish than we done because they would of earned that right.
    They weren't born here. We have enough problems trying to fund our own citizens without allowing anyone and everyone to come here. Be realistic, not idealistic. It's economically unsustainable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    They weren't born here. We have enough problems trying to fund our own citizens without allowing anyone and everyone to come here. Be realistic, not idealistic. It's economically unsustainable.
    I wasn't born in yorkshire, does that mean I have no right to go and live there?

ReputationRep:
    Race and ethnicity is important. As is national pride.

The world is a zero-sum game. In order for one group of people to win, another group must lose. It is the natural order of things.

The only variable is which group is on top, and which is at the bottom.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    I wasn't born in yorkshire, does that mean I have no right to go and live there?
    Yorkshire is in the UK, unless there has been a huge political upheaval in the last couple of minutes. It's not a separate country dependant on a separate economic and political system.

ReputationRep:
    Yorkshire is in the UK, unless there has been a huge political upheaval in the last couple of minutes. It's not a separate country dependant on a separate economic and political system.
    So it's fine, because I could still participate and contribute if I lived in yorkshire even though I'm not from yorkshire. How is moving across county boundaries different to moving across country boundaries then?

ReputationRep:
    As long as it doesn't harm anyone or become extreme, who cares? I'm proud to be biracial.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    So it's fine, because I could still participate and contribute if I lived in yorkshire even though I'm not from yorkshire. How is moving across county boundaries different to moving across country boundaries then?
    Because, as I pointed out before, different countries have completely different governments in place. It's not like moving around in the same country - because that's the same government and same system you're under.

As I've said quite a few times in this thread, it's not economically viable to allow people to live in whichever country they fancied. Our NHS and welfare system is over run already. We can't afford to allow too many immigrants in. Not to mention the housing crisis, and the simple lack of space to build.

ReputationRep:
    Because, as I pointed out before, different countries have completely different governments in place. It's not like moving around in the same country - because that's the same government and same system you're under.

As I've said quite a few times in this thread, it's not economically viable to allow people to live in whichever country they fancied. Our NHS and welfare system is over run already. We can't afford to allow too many immigrants in. Not to mention the housing crisis, and the simple lack of space to build.
    Yes but who decides who gets that help, there is no good reason why we should get it and "they" shouldn't. If it's economically viable now we need to make it so. And then one day we will have Anarres.

ReputationRep:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yes but who decides who gets that help, there is no good reason why we should get it and "they" shouldn't. If it's economically viable now we need to make it so. And then one day we will have Anarres.
    Are you not reading what I've put? The reason is very simple - we were born here, or accepted into this country legally. That's all the justification we need.

Why should we make it possible for too many peopleto live in the already over-crowded UK? Surely it would make more sense to improve the quality of life in other countries so they won't want to bloody well come over here.

You're being unrealistic and idealistic. Try to look at it pragmatically.

ReputationRep:

By that argument it's also not economically viable to allow people to breed freely either. Also you neglect that the vast majority of migrants pay tax, participate politically, etc. just like born citizens do.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    By that argument it's also not economically viable to allow people to breed freely either. Also you neglect that the vast majority of migrants pay tax, participate politically, etc. just like born citizens do.
    If our borders were suddenly wide open, allowing anyone who wanted to to stay, it would cause much more of a problem than natural population growth, although that is also too high. In a sense, it would be beneficial to the human race to have a "super-bug" capable of cutting the population rapidly down. But that's another issue.

It's not the participation I have a problem with. It's the fact that we just don't have the room. It's already hard to find housing - just think of how much more difficult it would be if suddenly an extra fifteen million people came to the UK. Or more - after all, we have free health care, free education and a generous (compared to some) welfare system.

The NHS is already a staggering drunk of a system overloaded with too many patients. It could only get worse.

ReputationRep:
    Are you not reading what I've put? The reason is very simple - we were born here, or accepted into this country legally. That's all the justification we need.

Why should we make it possible for too many peopleto live in the already over-crowded UK? Surely it would make more sense to improve the quality of life in other countries so they won't want to bloody well come over here.

You're being unrealistic and idealistic. Try to look at it pragmatically.
    You seriously scare me. Isn't the whole point of the human indever that we look what people false claim to be just how the world works and then to smash it apart. To look at reality and to laugh in its face. This isn't realistic only because we humans make it so. This thread isn't really about politics so i won't go into that. But if we stopped adding value on top of things to make profit there won't be a need for people to run off to where all the money is. GM would be a more realisic possableity for poorer farmers leting more people have food.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    You seriously scare me. Isn't the whole point of the human indever that we look what people false claim to be just how the world works and then to smash it apart. To look at reality and to laugh in its face. This isn't realistic only because we humans make it so. This thread isn't really about politics so i won't go into that. But if we stopped adding value on top of things to make profit there won't be a need for people to run off to where all the money is. GM would be a more realisic possableity for poorer farmers leting more people have food.
    If I scare you, that's only because you're not living in a realistic world. Do I wish that no one suffered, that people who need to come to this country could, that we could all afford housing, money didn't really exist and everything was hunky-dorey? Sure. But it isn't, and it won't be.

Also, there is no point to "the human endeavour". The only point we make is the one we choose. It's certainly not, in my eyes, any crap about smashing apart reality. :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    If I scare you, that's only because you're not living in a realistic world. Do I wish that no one suffered, that people who need to come to this country could, that we could all afford housing, money didn't really exist and everything was hunky-dorey? Sure. But it isn't, and it won't be.

Also, there is no point to "the human endeavour". The only point we make is the one we choose. It's certainly not, in my eyes, any crap about smashing apart reality. :eyeball:
    But can't you see that we are only playing by these rules because everyone else is. Do they seem al-right to you and me yes. But people are dying because of our selfishness. I think your numbed to that sitting in your lovely chair, using that cool computer. It is not fair and it's our fault.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    But can't you see that we are only playing by these rules because everyone else is. Do they seem al-right to you and me yes. But people are dying because of our selfishness. I think your numbed to that sitting in your lovely chair, use that cool computer. It is not fair and it's our fault.
    Of course I can see that, I'm not blind. But at the same time, I recognise that self interest is a key component of survival. Don't lecture me on poverty - I've given this more thought than you would believe, and have come to the conclusion that poverty will never be erased, and people will never stop suffering.

If you're that bothered, go sell all your belongings, give the money to charity and move to a slum in East Africa somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn!)
    Race and ethnicity is important. As is national pride.

The world is a zero-sum game. In order for one group of people to win, another group must lose. It is the natural order of things.

The only variable is which group is on top, and which is at the bottom.
    It's people like you that make me despair and wonder what level of human sympathy and decency remains in this world.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.