Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks that people's time would be better spent on other things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Would her followers?
    I very much doubt any Labour leaders or Union leaders from her time would have a demeaning song put into the charts in the week after their death no.

ReputationRep:
    How odd that they have chosen this song, a song that took the p!ss out of Thatcher rather than something that may have made a charitable contribution

ReputationRep:
    Send it to Glenda Jackson today

Spread love, not hate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    How odd that they have chosen this song, a song that took the p!ss out of Thatcher rather than something that may have made a charitable contribution
    The Band said themselves they have nothing against Thatcher, and that this wasn't the song's intentions. Besides, art is interpretation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    I very much doubt any Labour leaders or Union leaders from her time would have a demeaning song put into the charts in the week after their death no.
    That's more likely to be because no other leader has caused as much of a stir that she has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    She would have been classy enough to not openly criticise her opposition the day after they died.
    I'm sure the families of the soldiers on the Belgrano, the torture victims of Pinochet (who she shielded from the law) and those who suffered under the Khmer Rouge rule wouldn't have thought she was very classy at all, though.

Buying a showtune from a 30s musical doesn't seem like such a big deal in comparison to some of the things that she got up to.

ReputationRep:
    If the two songs had been promoted for the same amount of time it would have been an epic battle. But there's only a couple of days for this campaign!

I can't pretend to know all that much about politics, and I only saw the very end of Thatcher's "reign" (or whatever you call it), but I hated the fact that people were celebrating anyone's death, so have bought the "I'm in love" song just purely because it might give her family something positive to see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    So sad.

Having said that I'm now off to download Ding Dong...
    I'm not passing judgement on you downloading that other song, so don't do the same to me, thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperclip)
    I have not bought ding dong yet, but if i see this song creeping up the charts i will :p:
    Same as this.

If they don't ban I'm in Love With Margaret Thatcher it will be an outrage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greatwaves)
    I find it amusing that people are downloading a satirical song about Thatcher's sex appeal to show their support. I'm sure the punk band behind it wont mind the sudden windfall though! It's a bit like bringing out the Sex Pistols to pay tribute to old Liz. Bizarre.
    It's immediately obvious as soon as you listen to it that the song is a joke and they are not really Thatcher supporters. Very odd that they have chosen it as a rival song. I guess they didn't have many pro-Thatcher songs to pick though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    The Band said themselves they have nothing against Thatcher, and that this wasn't the song's intentions. Besides, art is interpretation.
    No, they said that it was neither pro nor anti but designed to show that anyone could have the p!ss taken out of them

ReputationRep:
    No, they said that it was neither pro nor anti but designed to show that anyone could have the p!ss taken out of them
    There we are then..

And:

ITV News "Radio one may well be having to make another decision on whether to play this song (I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher) as well"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    It's immediately obvious as soon as you listen to it that the song is a joke and they are not really Thatcher supporters. Very odd that they have chosen it as a rival song. I guess they didn't have many pro-Thatcher songs to pick though...
    Very few politicians have 'pro-them' songs, ironically, those that do tend to be the dictators.

ReputationRep:
    Be in love with a Fairytale instead.

ReputationRep:
    I've found the vitriolic, personal attacks on her (as opposed to her politics/policies) pretty distasteful, but I wasn't sure what the best course of action was for the BBC over this song. Not playing it would have been a bit unfair and restrictive on the chart show as a simple documentary of what people have been buying, but it also seems pretty nasty to play such a song as this before she's even been buried; I think, for all the criticism they've received, the compromise they've reached is alright.

That said, I'm not sure what the Lady herself would've thought. To quote her:

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left."

With that in mind, perhaps those of us who side with her views should view the original song as a joyous irony: the Iron Lady gets the last laugh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I'm not passing judgement on you downloading that other song, so don't do the same to me, thank you
    I wasn't being serious.

ReputationRep:
    I am not a strong supporter of Thatcher, but have bought that song just with the hope that ding dong the witch is dead doesn't make it to #1

ReputationRep:
    I reckon it was intended as an anti-thatcher song, but they aren't going to admit that when there's a whole army of Thatcher supporters buying their songs are they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    There we are then..
    It just seems odd to me that a more intelligent choice was not made

I suggested the Military Wives thingie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.