Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If your born deaf, what language do you think in? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've actually thought about this.

Think of thousands of years ago back before languages even existed. How did 'cave' men communicate with each other? They didn't have/know a language and they most likely thought to themselves as well.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not deaf and I mostly think through images. I'm guessing deaf people do something similar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    I think in Deafanese.

Just joking. I think in pictures. I don't think in sound or words at all.

I am deaf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm literally trying my hardest to read in my head only using the images of each word and not saying the words in my head and I can't manage it all.
    I can't even imagine what it would be like to think purely in images.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dendodge)
    I believe there are companies that make vibrating alarm clocks for the deaf. But I don't know if that's the only way.
    There are. I own one. I'm not deaf, someone just bought me a vibrating alarm clock...

Intriging question. I imagine thoughts would be visual as they cannot hear the sound of language. It's amazing how some humans are able to comprehend worded information without any knowledge of its pronunciation.

What to blind people visualise?

ReputationRep:
    Also what accent would they think in :smug:?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The only way in my perspective is to ask a person who was born deaf who isn't now. There are individuals which have had operations to hear who were born deaf.

But I'd imagine that with the lip movements combining with the visual appearance of the word it could lead to a form of a spoken word being evolved in their minds. They probably could speak their language but not so clear in their minds. Because some can speak very well and they're deaf, just with slight flaws.

ReputationRep:
    It's something that i've thought about so much, it's difficult to get your head around.

Similarly, i've always wandered how a blind person's thoughts work. A person that has never seen colours, or the difference between light and dark, nothing at all. I'm sure that they can get a pretty good idea of the things around them, the shapes and textures, through touch and though hearing, but even just the idea that they visualise those things without colour, not even black or white, is difficult to imagine. What does the world look like inside the head of a person that doesn't know what a colour is? It frustrates me thinking about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    I'm literally trying my hardest to read in my head only using the images of each word and not saying the words in my head and I can't manage it all.
    日本語テキスト

Since I don't know how to interpret those symbols as sound I'm forced to see them as images, so perhaps that's what it's like. It's interesting that sound overrides imagery when learning languages; I have the same problem as you when reading English.

ReputationRep:
    dolphin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Now I'm intrigued :p:

Do you have any concept of what sound is? Like... do you have an imagined notion of what sound would be like, of what it would be like to hear? Or is it conceptually impossible for you, like trying to imagine a non-existent colour?
    Before I had my hearing-aids, I had very little experience of sound. I could only hear people shouting or vehicles outside my home. I was about 10 when I got my hearing-aids. Sound terrified me and it still does now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Do you think in terms of people signing?
    No, what language am I writing to you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    i've read other posts by you where you talk about conversations you've had with people so you must have an understanding of spoken language?
    Yes, I do, but having a conversation with a person is difficult for me even with hearing-aids. I had to have speech therapy when I was younger but I don't remember it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faberry)
    Apparently, they think in sign language.
    Nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fleurie)
    can you hear at all, have you ever heard? sorry if they are sensative questions. are words just something you recognise? when i read i say the words in my head, i know how to pronounce them. do you just recognise them as "images" with different meanings?
    No, it's fine, they're not sensitive questions at all.

I got my first ever hearing aids when I was about 9/10 years old. Before then, I could only pretty much hear only vehicles outside or people shouting but it was very faint. I recognise words but I only think in images which do have different meanings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulphur)
    Sunlight, vibrations, an automated machine that throws water on you at a specific time?
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aurora.)
    No, deaf people learn to read. And write. They just can't hear.

The letters just mean something different. It's hard to understand because of the way we were taught to read as hearing kids, but it can definitely be done.
    That's just a quirk of the mind, it's totally necessary really, infact you can train yourself not to do it and it means you can read a lot faster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    I can't quite explain it. I see things as probably closest to a newsreel with no sound at all when I read. When I read, I don't see each word individually. They play a part in the newsreel.

If I'm not reading, then I will think in images with no sound as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsmyname)
    Surely you'd need hearing to be able to read? Otherwise how do you know what each letter sounds like to construct words etc

I used to work with a girl who was a student biomedical scientist (who could read) but she had been born deaf and found speaking very difficult, she had picked up little bits of pronunciation through lip reading and then mimicking what she saw but it was very hard to understand her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Albino)
    if you were deaf and living alone how would you wake up in time without the means to be able to hear an alarm clock?
    Well, deaf people would have special alarm clocks to wake them up. You can get types that flash very bright light or those with a vibrator (please don't take the piss out of me for saying this) which goes underneath the pillows and vibrates at the set time. I have one of these. It never fails to scare the living daylights out of me each morning.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.