Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Buy xbox 360 or wait for xbox 720? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    The original backwards compatible 60GB PS3s did have some PS2 hardware in them, that's a fact. But I suppose since then they have been able to develop a full PS2 emulator. You can get a few PS2 classic games on PSN now, so that's what they must use. I suspect it doesn't run some games very well though.
    Err. Apparently, although there aren't any screenshots to back up this claim, it worked perfectly with every game he tried. Once I get me hands on a laptop ill link you up.
    I imagine Nintendo do the same thing with the wii-u ( having a wii emulator)

Also to answer the original question, I wouldn't bother getting an xbox, maybe a ps3 which has more exclusives, or just wait for the 720

ReputationRep:
    "Do you know why they call it the Xbox 360? Because when people see it, they turn 360 degrees and walk away."

Genuine quote from Youtube.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait for the 720 and PS4 conferences at E3, if you like the look of either then hang around for them, if not keep the old 360.

Personally I am jumping ship back to PS4 - the cost of Xbox Live is not really feasible for me at Uni :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottled)
    Err. Apparently, although there aren't any screenshots to back up this claim, it worked perfectly with every game he tried. Once I get me hands on a laptop ill link you up.
    I imagine Nintendo do the same thing with the wii-u ( having a wii emulator)
    The Wii U doesn't need a Wii emulator, it is a Wii. From a technical point of view, the Wii U is just a more powerful Wii, which is just a more powerful Gamecube. They're all the same fundamental architectures, just higher clock rates, more memory, more cores, etc. It's not much different to how a new PC can run software written for PCs 10 years ago.

Where as the PS1, 2, 3 and now 4 are all vastly different architectures. Although an interesting point is that the PS1's CPU was used as an IO co-processor in the PS2, meaning it could use that to run PS1 games without needing a software emulator or additional hardware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    The Wii U doesn't need a Wii emulator, it is a Wii. From a technical point of view, the Wii U is just a more powerful Wii, which is just a more powerful Gamecube. They're all the same fundamental architectures, just higher clock rates, more memory, more cores, etc. It's not much different to how a new PC can run software written for PCs 10 years ago.

Where as the PS1, 2, 3 and now 4 are all vastly different architectures. Although an interesting point is that the PS1's CPU was used as an IO co-processor in the PS2, meaning it could use that to run PS1 games without needing a software emulator or additional hardware.
    Yeah more or less, although the Wii U GPU is actually somewhat different from previous ventures.

And yeah, Sony have a real knack for changing architecture completely with every generation. Although I'm surprised they've gone so close to standard PC components with the PS4, they tend to like to have their own formats, architectures ect for the control it gives them. It seems the new architecture is in line with a different train of thought from Sony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

Oh. Then I suppose lack of gamecube support is a business plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottled)
    Maybe. Or it might be that they didn't want to include the ports for the controllers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)

ReputationRep:
    Get a 360! The list of quality games available is huuuuuge. It`ll be sometime beofre the 720/Durango catches up and the 360 and games will still be far cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chad_Bronson)
    I can't see why you wouldn't be able to, the XBOX 360 is still selling in relatively healthy numbers; and the 360 games are too popular at the moment just to be abandoned like that.

Like, how the PS3 played both PS2 and PS1 games
    Yeah that true, but only some PS3's could play PS2 games, and you can play PS1 games on them? What :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    Yeah that true, but only some PS3's could play PS2 games, and you can play PS1 games on them? What :eek:
    It's surprising how many people don't know that. Some people think only the original 60GB PS3s could play PS1 games, but actually all of them can. Plus there's a few PS1 games available to download.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    It's surprising how many people don't know that. Some people think only the original 60GB PS3s could play PS1 games, but actually all of them can. Plus there's a few PS1 games available to download.
    Wait, all PS3's can? Why didn't I know this before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemiMarcelle)
    Wait, all PS3's can? Why didn't I know this before?
    Yep. It's only PS2 games that only some of them can play.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wait for the official Microsoft announcement, a huge amount of rumours are doing the rounds (see: every console ever), and the vast majority of them will likely contain very little bearing on reality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Yep. It's only PS2 games that only some of them can play.
    Wish I knew that years ago.. haha, I don't know where our PS1 games have gone

ReputationRep:
    Generally when a new console is released the prices are extorionate. In 2006, when I bought my first 360. It was £330 for a standard arcade version with a few games included. (That's 256MB memory, you can guess how long that lasted when DLC and updates started occuring.)

If I were you, I'd just get a new console now be keep yourself amused. There's some great single player releases out just now such as Bioshock Infinite, Far Cry 3, Tomb Raider and even Skyrim to keep you amused. Not to mention GTAIV when it's released later this year.

My advice would be to buy one now. Keep yourself amused for a bit while saving up for the Next Gen console.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I'm going to be buying a 360 in the next few weeks, and if anything all this talk about the next Xbox makes this a good time to buy as they are the cheapest they are going to be and the games are at their pinnacle. Let's be hone, only techno-hungry fools with thick wallets buy the very first release of gaming hardware, long before the creases have been ironed out and a good line-up of games has been delivered. Even if the next generation of consoles appears to be mind-blowing, I will still refrain from buying one for about a year for the aforementioned reasons.

ReputationRep:
    dont get xbox, wait for the PS4, the gap in power between the 360 and 720 is MASSIVE trust me just wait!

"The next Xbox is likely to use an AMD Radeon derived graphics component as well, though the latest leaks say it will serve up about 1.2 TFLOPS of power, less than the 1.84 TFLOPS figure quoted by Sony." digitaltrends.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenzelRyder)
    "Do you know why they call it the Xbox 360? Because when people see it, they turn 360 degrees and walk away."

Genuine quote from Youtube.
    Haha, that's brilliant!

I'm getting an xbox 360 for my birthday next month, WOO!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carlaraptor)
    Haha, that's brilliant!

I'm getting an xbox 360 for my birthday next month, WOO!
    Thing is, if you did a 360 degree turn, you'd just walk right back into it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.