Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilie18)
    "So expensive" - really? I don't think it has to be! What do you think your prom is going to cost you? Because I know some people spend silly amounts of money on fancy dresses and limousines and what-not, which is needless. You can easily get a nice outfit for under £50, that you can wear again, and if you share transport with a group of friends you can cut the cost down.

Of course you don't "have" to go - it's your choice. But, although it's huuuugely over-rated, it is still a nice event. Dress up, have a laugh, nice food, see all your friends... And if you're going to the after-party anyway, then it seems a bit odd not to go to the actual prom.

My year 11 prom was OK - loved getting ready with my friends and getting our pictures done and all that, but once we got inside, it was a bit of an anti-climax. It's definitely not worth the hype! :lol: But it was still worth going, it was still good fun.

So yeah - as a general rule and summary to this post: proms are fun, but they're over-rated.

I guessed it will cost around £38 for ticket, £40 for dress, £20 shoes, £15 for bus hire if I go with my friends. So pretty expensive for one, overrated night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alix23)
    I guessed it will cost around £38 for ticket, £40 for dress, £20 shoes, £15 for bus hire if I go with my friends. So pretty expensive for one, overrated night.
    £38 is way more than the average 11 year prom ticket costs (our tickets were £25 and we were all surprised). Hmm, maybe your prom committee haven't budgeted very well, looks like the students are paying for prom with expensive tickets!

If you shop carefully you can get a dress for £20 (not too hard to do, I did it easily), shoes in the sale or from somewhere like everything5pounds.com (clothes aren't great but shoes from here are fab, especially if it's a one-off event) or Primark could cost you less than £15. There are much cheaper alternatives to travel - £15 for bus hire seems pretty expensive (we hired a bus for prom too). Try and get a bigger group of people, or get a friend with a nice car (decorated with ribbons and all that) to drop you off - lots of people at our prom did that.

So yeah, it needn't cost as much as the £115 you estimated there. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    I invite you to come as my +1 to my schools prom next year :3

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awr you're nice

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't worry about it, I didn't go year 11. Sounded crap. I went year 13 though.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking I probably won't go now, thanks for all the help
    My parents have offered to let me have quite a big party for my 16th, which is in the summer, so I'll still have a chance to have a good time with all my friends before I leave.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to my prom, it didn't really interest me and i wasn't dissappointed when all tje pictures from the event were being posted up. I still see my closest friends 6 years later.
    You still have plently of other opportunities to see your friends and party with other at the after party. If you really can't afford it then don't go.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I didn't go to my year 11 prom. I think I was one of the only people who didn't. I just couldn't see the appeal and I wasn't overly keen on dressing up. Everyone warned me I'd regret it but 5 years on and still no regrets. Do whatever you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Whether it ends up being good or not, it's still a memorable experience. You'll be wondering why you were so nervous after it's all over anyway! It's a good opportunity to dress like a princess (take loads of photos for the mems)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.