Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    If you're flexible, that's a very valuable trait, and they'll want to keep you.
    they arent doing a very good job of that if theyre making me want to leave haha! also during my 'how are you doing' review thing I always get 'good' for my rating, when better than that is excellent and then outstanding.. and seeing as how I do all my jobs and I also pick up the slack from other people or do their jobs.. I dont know exactly what Im meant to do to get a better review, apart from maybe kiss their asses..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolatesoup)
    That sounds like a good idea, Ive spoken to other people though who've said that overtime is completely up to you and that you dont *have* to do it, ever. Also during my interview I stated that I was going to be starting college and then afterwards was hoping to go to uni after that, so I dont see why theyd employ me if they were expecting me to work 24/7 when Id mentioned I wouldnt be free during the week. There are staff who refuse to work weekends because they want to spend time with their children and things like that and they never bother them about it.. Ive also heard of people asking for overtime and theyve said there arent any shifts and then ive asked and theyve given me plenty.. so I dont know >_>
    I would imagine that they couldn't make you, they'd have to have a pretty good reason since I doubt they'd have an emergency or no other staff at all, but it's also better to be safe than sorry. You never know, they might just be obligated to ask you. We used to get spare shifts going and the supervisor would ask her friends and nobody else got given the chance for overtime so it became a rule that everyone had to be asked. It was annoying but the only way it could be done fairly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachaelBee)
    I would imagine that they couldn't make you, they'd have to have a pretty good reason since I doubt they'd have an emergency or no other staff at all, but it's also better to be safe than sorry. You never know, they might just be obligated to ask you. We used to get spare shifts going and the supervisor would ask her friends and nobody else got given the chance for overtime so it became a rule that everyone had to be asked. It was annoying but the only way it could be done fairly.
    Yeah I understand that, like sometimes ive heard them saying out loud when theres been a lot of people signing out at the same time "does anyone want a shift for next saturday?" or whatever, but Ive never seen them ask anyone else as much as they ask me personally all the time. I just phoned them up the now and they laughed at me for no reason.. >_> I think I just need to forget about it and its only 2 days of my week so maybe if I concentrate on my uni stuff and reading itll distract me. I know that some companies require you to work say a saturday once every month or whatever, so what youre saying about overtime could be true, but they employ about 500 people probably more so I dont see how me, one person, is really that necessary when there are loads of people who do overtime all the time, its not like theres only a handful of us so me not being able to has a huge impact if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocolatesoup)
    Yeah I understand that, like sometimes ive heard them saying out loud when theres been a lot of people signing out at the same time "does anyone want a shift for next saturday?" or whatever, but Ive never seen them ask anyone else as much as they ask me personally all the time. I just phoned them up the now and they laughed at me for no reason.. >_> I think I just need to forget about it and its only 2 days of my week so maybe if I concentrate on my uni stuff and reading itll distract me. I know that some companies require you to work say a saturday once every month or whatever, so what youre saying about overtime could be true, but they employ about 500 people probably more so I dont see how me, one person, is really that necessary when there are loads of people who do overtime all the time, its not like theres only a handful of us so me not being able to has a huge impact if that makes sense?
    Complete sense, I'd just try and put up with it for the sake of 2 days a week. If they're not kicking up a major fuss then don't worry. Nobody should have to be made uncomfortable at work but you could go elsewhere and find that they aren't as accommodating.

ReputationRep:
    I thought id give an update

I went in today and they held a meeting and mentioned to everyone that they are going to be letting people go, however I dont think this will realistically happen because they are short staffed (they even said that) so it wouldnt be able to function with less people if it isnt functioning the now with the people we have.

They also said that Im a really good worker so thats good, so i think maybe when they ask me to come out it is meant in a good way because they do think i do well at my job so they want me to come out cos they know itll help them. I should see this as a positive I suppose, that I am wanted! but thanks to everyone for your replies and advice, i appreciate it i think i just got a bit down over it but im feeling a bit less overwhelmed now.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck and thanks for the update.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.