Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Thanks. Looks like I'll be booking it for the 3rd then! Ahhh, not long away at all! ...but long enough for his passport to come through though haha
    I wouldn't book it until he has a passport, although you CAN pay extra for a premium express passport service if it's not long to go and you have the tickets in hand.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    I wouldn't book it until he has a passport, although you CAN pay extra for a premium express passport service if it's not long to go and you have the tickets in hand.
    Oh yeah, I've heard about that service. Can you do that if its for a lost passport? or whatever you would call his situation lol.

Also, do you think he might get an interview? I got one since I had never had a passport in my life but he was included in his dad's when he was a baby and then he had his own at 10 which he didn't know about. He sent his form off last Monday explaining what happened to his old passport and hasn't heard anything back since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    Take off and landing seem to be the most worrying thing for a first time flier. You'll be pushed back into your seat (a lot more than if you were lying on your back) then the plane will leave the ground and you'll be pushed down into your seat even more than you were being pushed back. It's also pretty damn noisy on take off. Once you're up and away it's fine. You might find your ears are under pressure as you ascend and descend, eating a boiled sweet or three might help.

When you descend you'll feel a lot lighter than normal (makes your stomach feel funny). As the back wheels hit the runway there's a loud bang and you'll feel it too. Again - that's normal. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes it's really bad, depends on the weather mostly.

If you hit turbulence you'll go between feeling very light and very heavy. It feels worrying, but until the air stewards look nervous you've nothing to worry about (that's never happened in the thirty or so flights I've been on). But remember that even if you drop a thousand feet in turbulence, you're still maybe 29,000 feet from the ground!
    Once I was caught in a typhoon over the South China Sea on the way to Borneo from Hong Kong. The pilot told everyone to buckle up as it appeared that he had been surprised by the weather and then went on to say that a typhoon had moved in faster than he expected, not something anyone wants to hear their pilot say.

Then shortly afterwards it was like a giant hand had gripped the plane and was trying to shake the passengers out of the doors and there was much screaming and wailing and gnashing of teeth.

That ride was definitely worth the price of admission though...

After landing I took a screen capture of the weather radar...

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!
    Well to be honest, you'll get a different experience with different airports, carrier and plane.

One thing though, the jet engines are actually quite noisy and being on easyjet won't help as you haven't really got much to distract yourself with.

If you travelled on something like Qatar or Emirates to the middle east, from my experience its been very very pleasant, they usually use terminal 4 at Heathrow, checking in was easy, duty free area was really nice, lovely terminal.
    Then it was the plane..........service was amazing, despite it being economy class, it was very lovely, lovely entertain system with loads of videos on demands, and audio, etc headphones.......... plenty of magazines, usually a nice blanket for sleeping, sleeping mask, etc if your going over night the cabin usually goes into a really nice mood lighting to sleep in. Then there was the food which was really really lovely.

That said, everyones experience differs, as airports are different..............especiall y carriers, easyjet are a budget airline, food will need to be bought on the plane and will be a rip off.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, I've heard about that service. Can you do that if its for a lost passport? or whatever you would call his situation lol.

Also, do you think he might get an interview? I got one since I had never had a passport in my life but he was included in his dad's when he was a baby and then he had his own at 10 which he didn't know about. He sent his form off last Monday explaining what happened to his old passport and hasn't heard anything back since.
    Ah, yes, you can't use it if you are replacing a previously lost passport.

ReputationRep:
    Like warm apple pie.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Does anyone know how long roughly it takes to replace a lost passport? Especially if you don't actually know what happened to it?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Ah, yes, you can't use it if you are replacing a previously lost passport.
    Do you know if there is anyway you can find out how your application is going? Like by calling or emailing the passport office? Do you think they would actually tell you if you gave them your details?

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if there is anyway you can find out how your application is going? Like by calling or emailing the passport office? Do you think they would actually tell you if you gave them your details?
    Pretty sure there is, was there not an application reference number you were given when you applied?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Pretty sure there is, was there not an application reference number you were given when you applied?
    Yeah my boyfriend will have that on his letter. I'll try and have a look for some phone numbers and email addresses regarding his application because I think it would be best if he contacted them at least before I book it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    Taking off is the best part, but you'll have to be patient since checking in usually takes ages!
    Since your flight is pretty short, you probably won't be bored but long haul flights seem to just drag on. Once you're at 35,000 feet, the plane feels very stationary, but turbulence can make you jump a little. If you're flying at night, look out for thunderstorms beneath you. The lightning is truly breathtaking!
    yeah look out for thunderstorms! kinda scary but I saw one when flying back from tanzania and it was amazing! everyone else on the plane was asleep, but seeing lightning from above was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen!

ReputationRep:
    In the plane, it feels like its gonna get blown up by some suicide bomber

Spoiler:
    Show
    only joking lol

ReputationRep:
    It's a mix between "Neeeeeewwhhhhhhhhhhhnnnnng" and "Swoooooooosh"

ReputationRep:
    You'll get to the airport and go to the check-in desks where you'll hand in your big bags and be given your boarding passes. Then you go through security, where you basically have your rucksack scanned. You need to take laptops, iPads etc out of your bag and put them through separately. Then you go through a big scanner yourself. They might pull you over and do extra checks but if you're lucky they won't. Then you're free to do whatever you want until your flight is boarding, as long as you stay on the same side as security. Then you just queue up, show your boarding passes and then get on the plane.

Once you're on the plane it's all very simple. Feels a bit weird when you take off (think of a really fast elevator) but once you're in the air you can't really feel anything different unless there's turbulence. When you land it feels like you're a bit lighter than normal. The plane will bump the ground a bit and you'll get pushed forwards because of the plane slowing down. Then you just wait until they let you off the plane, go to passport control, then baggage reclaim and then out of the airport. Simple!

Nothing to worry about at all, it's all really safe and easy.

ReputationRep:
    If you have sensitive ears, take some chewing gum...it stops your ears from hurting when they pop. Depends on the various pressurization systems used on different aircraft models, your ears may hurt more than others.

If you have a cold/cough, the pain can be worse, take nasal spray with you it helps.

Ears may not hurt at all though, mine never do but so many of my friends feel it during descent.

"Happy flighting"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    If you have sensitive ears, take some chewing gum...it stops your ears from hurting when they pop. Depends on the various pressurization systems used on different aircraft models, your ears may hurt more than others.

If you have a cold/cough, the pain can be worse, take nasal spray with you it helps.

Ears may not hurt at all though, mine never do but so many of my friends feel it during descent.

"Happy flighting"
    If you'll pardon the pun.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah my boyfriend will have that on his letter. I'll try and have a look for some phone numbers and email addresses regarding his application because I think it would be best if he contacted them at least before I book it.
    You must wait three weeks after you apply before you can track it.

https://www.gov.uk/track-passport-application

Odd, because my British Passport was back with me within 4 days of having posted the application off including a weekend, I used the Post Office Check and send service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    Taking off is the best part, but you'll have to be patient since checking in usually takes ages!
    Since your flight is pretty short, you probably won't be bored but long haul flights seem to just drag on. Once you're at 35,000 feet, the plane feels very stationary, but turbulence can make you jump a little. If you're flying at night, look out for thunderstorms beneath you. The lightning is truly breathtaking!
    Totally agree, my last trip on the plane was the first time I've seen a thunderstorm above the clouds. It was amazing, plus we flew pretty close.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely recommend using ear plugs and chewing/sucking on a hard boiled sweet at take off and landing, just incase, especially if you have a cold. My ears are really bad on a descent if my nose is blocked, a couple of moments of severe pain where I just double over. But I pop a sweet in my mouth and it really helps.

You might not have this problem at all though

ReputationRep:
    I haven't been on one for nearly 6 years :eek:

From what I remember, quite nerve wracking when the plane sets off and your ears might go funny. Other than that, it's like any other transport. Get the window seat!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.