Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Biology - I like because it just interests me (plant biology can go to hell though )
    Chemistry - most intellectually stimulating because our teacher gives us stretch and challenge every lesson
    Physics - dull as hell but once you know the formulae you're OK

So for me it depends on the day. If we are doing muscles in biology then that wins, if it is a normal day then chemistry... never physics :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    huh?
    Ha yeah that bit confused me too. Came out of nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    edexcel should either sell themselves....or change their name to Edexcel Maths.......

they have no idea what they are doing
    The thing that annoys me most about A-levels is the markscheme culture, basically if its not on the markscheme, its not valuable? what kind of **** is that, that is the one thing I think they should change, be more open to other ideas than just what they decided to print one day. But the markschemes for maths are very accurate as there is one right answer, unlike explanatory subjects

ReputationRep:
    huh?
    its a subject where you have barely any learning of content (compared to history english or geography say)
    you just learn various techniques and apply it, which is preferable to me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    The thing that annoys me most about A-levels is the markscheme culture, basically if its not on the markscheme, its not valuable? what kind of **** is that, that is the one thing I think they should change, be more open to other ideas than just what they decided to print one day. But the markschemes for maths are very accurate as there is one right answer, unlike explanatory subjects
    But doesn't the Examined Guidelines say that the mark schemes doesn't contain all the correct answers.
    Just the other day I was going through Exemplar materials (Results Plus) along with the marking scheme (Biology AS) and could clearly see that the examiner hasn't been too strict on making sure the answer its in the marking scheme.

BTW its really a good excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i agree, edexcel has this tradition of "monkey see, monkey doo" discipline, stupid ***** cant think for themselves and be more flexible with their answers

ReputationRep:
    Geography was my favourite.
    Mainly because it was really interesting, which made it really enjoyable. It was also helped by the 2 amazing teachers that we had. The people in my class being a right laugh helped a bit as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoitsro)
    its a subject where you have barely any learning of content (compared to history english or geography say)
    you just learn various techniques and apply it, which is preferable to me
    who are you

ReputationRep:
    i agree, edexcel has this tradition of "monkey see, monkey doo" discipline, stupid ***** cant think for themselves and be more flexible with their answers
    All exam boards do tbh, I think I've seen AQA to be the least like this, but edexcel and ocr come close joint 1st, some of the examiners don't even do the subject at times! (though for history they usually do, for others its just lets play read off the markscheme)

ReputationRep:
    who are you
    huh :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I despise Edexcel for everything apart from maths, for history they expect candidates to pick 1 key thing out of the source, and if you don't (but make other good judgements) you go from an A to a C hmmph
    Really? I do Edexcel History and that's never been an issue me, or anyone in my class, has faced. The teacher hasn't even mentioned anything about it. The thing we get told that can do that is not adding in enough specific CKG to support your judgments.

But then again, I'm doing the Cold War whereas you might be doing something different.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Chemistry: As a child, I’d envision real-life reactions occurring at the molecular level. It was around the age of 6 that I’d read my first science book and realized that the world as I knew it was comprised of atoms. From then, when observing things like flames I tried to imagine the interactions of these particles. This became the basis of my present fascination of Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE)
    But doesn't the Examined Guidelines say that the mark schemes doesn't contain all the correct answers.
    Just the other day I was going through Exemplar materials (Results Plus) along with the marking scheme (Biology AS) and could clearly see that the examiner hasn't been too strict on making sure the answer its in the marking scheme.

BTW its really a good excuse

Posted from TSR Mobile

@ the bold, are you saying I'm using this as an excuse for sub-standard Jan results?

I actually got my economics paper remarked and it went up 8ums points, some examiners are just lazy, getting my history remark back as well fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    All exam boards do tbh, I think I've seen AQA to be the least like this, but edexcel and ocr come close joint 1st, some of the examiners don't even do the subject at times! (though for history they usually do, for others its just lets play read off the markscheme)
    what idiots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reubenkinara)
    Chemistry: As a child, I’d envision real-life reactions occurring at the molecular level. It was around the age of 6 that I’d read my first science book and realized that the world as I knew it was comprised of atoms. From then, when observing things like flames I tried to imagine the interactions of these particles. This became the basis of my present fascination of Chemistry.
    if u think chemistrys fascinating, thats the equivalent of seeing paint drying as exciting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoitsro)
    huh :confused:
    what do u want u rapist

ReputationRep:
    what do u want u rapist
    Well that escalated quickly

ReputationRep:
    Art! I love my class and I find drawing/doing art very stress-relieving.
    But the coursework- uh uh

I loooove geography too. you have to learn so much but it's super super interesting!

ReputationRep:
    Biology! I am just fascinated by the systems all living things have evolved to keep them alive. It can be very complicated sometimes but that makes it more interesting to me. So many processes all working together, it's pretty awesome. I love maths as well, I do maths and FM, but I'm struggling a lot with FM right now. I don't need it to meet my university offers (I have a full A-Level in geography from year 12) so I'm quite demotivated.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    if u think chemistrys fascinating, thats the equivalent of seeing paint drying as exciting
    What do you prefer?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.