Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gay characters that aren't just gay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConnorB)
    I think Mitch from Modern Family is quite good... though I suppose he fits the stereotype more than not...

I'll have to get back to you on that one :moon:
    The difference is that is taking the piss out of using gay people as stereotypes, that's why they constantly bring up stereotypes, and then point out that they are stereotypes. Every single family does it. At least, I've always seen it as meta humour mixed in with normal humour. Maybe I'm wrong? I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Willow and Tara from Buffy?

I can't think of a male example though. I agree that gay characters tend to be defined by their sexuality. I think it's an extension of real-life perceptions. However open-minded people think they are, people often place a homosexual's sexuality as their most important descriptor. If a celebrity comes out as gay, it is newspaper worthy. To me, in an ideal world, saying 'I'm gay' should be no more groundbreaking than saying 'I've got size 9 feet'. Sexuality should be just one of many things which describe you - on par with your interests, the people important to you, your hobbies, your ambitions, etc.

It doesn't help that some (note, 'some') gay people do make their sexuality define them. Analogous to any oppressed group, gay people had to 'be proud' of their sexuality in order to fight for equality - in the same way that ethnic minority groups are often far prouder of their heritage than majority groups. But the flipside to that is this problem of becoming defined by something that shouldn't define you.

I've probably thought about this too much...
    Ha, maybe, but yeah I agree with what you just said. Most people are suggesting characters from shows I'v never watched but I can't help get the feeling that even in these shows their sexuality isn't treated like a shoe size

ReputationRep:
    Captain Jack Harkness from Doctor Who and Torchwood...
    And perhaps Madame Vastra and Jenny? (both from Doctor Who).

ReputationRep:
    That blonde boy from the first series of Skins. I remember his character wasn't solely about his sexuality.

Quite a few of the characters in Bad Girls were lesbians but had several non-sexuality based story lines.

That lesbian couple in Emmerdale.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. Most of the time when a show features a gay couple, one will be flamboyant and one will be slightly more "neutral". Cameron and Mitch in Modern Family is one example, also Will and Jack in Will & Grace, although they aren't technically a couple. The same is the case in The New Normal. The same is true for straight couple - usually one masculine and one feminine side. That is usually also the case in real life, as opposites attract one another.

Someone mentioned Andrew in Desperate Housewives. I don't watch too many shows, but I was a big fan of Nip Tuck. One of the surgeons was bisexual without that being reflected in his "type" and the nurse in the clinic was lesbian and she was not very stereotypical either. I don't think Oscar from the US Office is very flamboyant either.

I think this thread is a bit overreacting. Keep in mind that almost all characters on TV shows are exaggerated in one way or another, to the point where they can be quite one-dimensional. That goes particularly for comedy shows and shows on the fluffy side, which are created to be easily digestible. Most people are more complex than characters on TV, but people don't watch TV to see the same kind of people they relate to in real life. Gay characters aren't created more stereotypical than any other category. Female characters are either manly in spirit, painfully ditzy or overly feminine, British people are either chavvy or extremely posh on US shows and Latin women (like Gloria from Modern Family) behave is if they're taken out of a book listing stereotypes about women from South America. Penny from BBT could easily be taken as an insult to blondes. Accents are always over the top.
    Part of the simple "humor" is making the characters always behave according to their personality, like Marshall from HIMYM making a comment typical for his teddybear beta male style or Doug from the King of Queens being hungry or lazy or both. Don't get me started on the characters from Friends.

ReputationRep:
    Max from Happy Endings was the first person to spring to mind!

and Leslie on Chicago fire

ReputationRep:
    Dexter series 7, do not ruin the scene if you have yet to watch this.

Spoiler:
    Show

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.