The Student Room Group

Why do boys brought up by single mothers often have LESS respect for women?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Eveiebaby
Nice try blaming single mothers for everything.

A lot of fathers cannot deal with the responsibility of having children and abandon them. How do I know? My father abandoned my mother while she was pregnant with me, left the country and hasnt even bothered to contact me as an adult.

I take serious issue with people like you. There are bad mothers and bad fathers. Every case is different.

Well I was referring to bad SM's not all of them, if your mom treated you with love and care then kudos for both of you. I received neither from both of them if that makes you feel any better
Reply 41
Original post by Ezekiella
I think you're right about the "unbalanced" thing in that single mothers often seem to discipline their children (especially sons even when they also have daughters) less. When I was growing up it was actually my Dad who was the soft one and spoiled me, but my parents are together and several single mothers seem to give their sons everything (both in being too nice and too many things) they want purely to "overcompensate" for their dads not being around, when perhaps sometimes tough love would be better. But sometimes the best option for people is to divorce unless you're talking about why they got married in the first place (though this is a whole separate topic I guess).

I know one guy on my course who is an only child with a single mother and he gets about £100 a week in allowance money off his mum on top of a full student loan, grant and bursary, most of which ends up with the local drug dealer (as well as perhaps too much "love and care" as she talks to him like a baby though he's over 20 and he regularly gossips about his friends on the phone to her!) He isn't particularly smart or talented at anything but his arrogance and attitude towards people (especially girls) is amazing.

Why should it be a different topic ? You have to get married first before divorce - one is indelibly connected to the other. The real issue is did the parents marry without love and for other reasons like politics, power, no wanting to be alone, it was the thing to do, to prove they could get someone...

This is selfish behaviour and rather evil if I may say since involves bringing in a new life without properly caring for it ( yes they prolly knew in the back of their heads they would not last).

So I am afraid the two are very connected.

You still don't / don't want to understand, the SM is overcompensating - yes but not necessarily for lack of a father (you can still bring up a child well single handed if you really want to) but our of GUILT for knowingly making him fatherless.
I was brought up in a single parent household. It gives you even more respect for women in some ways as you see your mother do everything. She's playing the mother and father role. Single mothers deserve HUGE respect. They are survivors. Anyone who thinks otherwise isn't worth my attention.

If anything it has given me absolutely no sympathy for dads who are absent or abandon their child/children. Parents should take care of their seeds. A father is very important. A great example of a young man who lacked a father figure is Shinji Ikari from NEON GENESIS EVANGELION.

230px-Eva027.jpg

When you have no dad, you miss out on learning how to be a man as you have no male role model in your life. I can still remember learning myself to shave (this was before we had the internet as we couldn't afford it).

Women just can't teach a man to be a man. You get confused and you have to imagine what a man does. There is no direction, you never seen how a relationship should be. The only fathers you are exposed to are other peoples. It's just not the same. You only see what you see when you visit their houses, and still everything feels awkward because you aren't used to a man in the house. This is why boys who come from single parent households struggle with women. I never seen a positive relationship in my early days. All i saw was domestic violence.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by Zenomorph
Why should it be a different topic ? You have to get married first before divorce - one is indelibly connected to the other. The real issue is did the parents marry without love and for other reasons like politics, power, no wanting to be alone, it was the thing to do, to prove they could get someone...

This is selfish behaviour and rather evil if I may say since involves bringing in a new life without properly caring for it ( yes they prolly knew in the back of their heads they would not last).

So I am afraid the two are very connected.

You still don't / don't want to understand, the SM is overcompensating - yes but not necessarily for lack of a father (you can still bring up a child well single handed if you really want to) but our of GUILT for knowingly making him fatherless.

Yeah sometimes, if you go to the root of the problem. Makes my blood boil when people know they won't last but "want a baby because they feel like it" anyway. But the single mother doesn't necessarily "make" someone fatherless (e.g. if they had a kid in a shaky relationship); what if you found out your husband was cheating and decided to leave him or something?

Would be tougher to bring up a child single handed regardless of your sex, but especially, perhaps, if you were a woman bringing up a boy (as other people have said in this thread boys need strong male role models, which I'm beginning to think may be the answer).
Reply 44
Yeah sometimes, if you go to the root of the problem. Makes my blood boil when people know they won't last but "want a baby because they feel like it" anyway. But the single mother doesn't necessarily "make" someone fatherless (e.g. if they had a kid in a shaky relationship); what if you found out your husband was cheating and decided to leave him or something?

Would be tougher to bring up a child single handed regardless of your sex, but especially, perhaps, if you were a woman bringing up a boy (as other people have said in this thread boys need strong male role models, which I'm beginning to think may be the answer).

The single mother may not necessarily "make" someone fatherless but she is 1 half of the problem.
if the man is cheating then most of the time they weren't meant for each other anyway so it returns to same point - don't marry and have kids if you are not more or less absolutely sure you will stay together at least for a very long time.

Yes boys need father figures but equally being a single father may be harder in some ways cause even a female dog never abandons her litter (or very rarely) - I'm sure it feels pretty bad if your Mom left you and your father .....
Reply 45
Original post by Zenomorph
The single mother may not necessarily "make" someone fatherless but she is 1 half of the problem.
if the man is cheating then most of the time they weren't meant for each other anyway so it returns to same point - don't marry and have kids if you are not more or less absolutely sure you will stay together at least for a very long time.

Agree with most of what you've said in this thread but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here in that there's often no way to tell if a guy is going to cheat on his wife or not. Every couple has minor disagreements and they don't necessarily prompt someone to cheat - it's 100% the fault of who's cheating regardless of gender. It's got nothing to do with "not being meant for each other" or being unsure as to how long they'll stay together. Many people only get into affairs after decades with their partners when their kids have grown up.

But anyway we're going off topic here so I'll leave it at that.
Reply 46
Agree with most of what you've said in this thread but I'm gonna have to disagree with you here in that there's often no way to tell if a guy is going to cheat on his wife or not. Every couple has minor disagreements and they don't necessarily prompt someone to cheat - it's 100% the fault of who's cheating regardless of gender. It's got nothing to do with "not being meant for each other" or being unsure as to how long they'll stay together. Many people only get into affairs after decades with their partners when their kids have grown up.

But anyway we're going off topic here so I'll leave it at that.

Off topic not really. Surely if you really love someone then you wouldn't cheat on them , ok if it is after 30 years then it really isn't going to be that devastating is it ?

You can tell if someone loves you a lot can't you ? If so then the probability of cheating is much lower than if the couple has little love for each other.

Quick Reply

Latest