Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaknows)
    That comes up in GCSEs too..
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't care

ReputationRep:
    No point looking at what grades you got and deciding that way. Think about what you want to do after your A levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't care
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's ok people make mistakes, no need to be embarrassed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosaknows)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    it's ok people make mistakes, no need to be embarrassed.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Am I embarrassed?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Naw.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So..you,Wanna fight about it?

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Am I embarrassed?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Naw.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    So..you,Wanna fight about it?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    yes you obviously are

Spoiler:
    Show
    no, but it seems like you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unique_freak)
    If i was a super freak genius I would take them most definitely, unfortunately im not, so im scared i will struggle too much.
    But you got As in all those subjects! You don't need to be a super genius to get good grades. The secret to getting good grades is determination, hard work and CONFIDENCE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    GCSEs aren't that great an indicator of ability in A-Level(Although getting A's does show that you have some ability).

However I agree that its really about how much work you put in, and you can still get top grades even if you aren't "gifted" at Maths.

To answer the question though, I think you need to weight up the pros and cons of each A-Level and decide on that, and what you want to do after A-levels.
    I will do that, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkinnyKat)
    But you got As in all those subjects! You don't need to be a super genius to get good grades. The secret to getting good grades is determination, hard work and CONFIDENCE
    hmm maybe, hopefully it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoriajackson)
    I only got a B at GCSE and I got a B at AS level so I think you should be fine. It is a lot of work though but then again so are most A-levels I do chemistry, biology and physics as well and I love them and as long as you're willing to put the work in you should do quite well.

Oh and if you want to do pharmacy definitely do chemistry.
    oh okay thanks!

ReputationRep:
    oh okay thanks!
    Just read my original reply and realised it doesn't make much sense! I was talking about the maths, I got a B at GCSE and a B at As level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Student__)
    No point looking at what grades you got and deciding that way. Think about what you want to do after your A levels
    yeah i think i wanna do engineering or pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    hmm maybe, hopefully it is
    A-level Maths is ridiculously straightforward, understand the concepts and you can do pretty much any question they give you. You don't need to be a "super freak genius" to do it at all.

Why consider a maths-heavy course like engineering if you're not confident about your ability to do A-level maths though? The level of maths you'll do during an engineering degree course will be considerably higher than that of A-level maths, so if you don't think you can handle it, you might want to reconsider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    A-level Maths is ridiculously straightforward, understand the concepts and you can do pretty much any question they give you. You don't need to be a "super freak genius" to do it at all.

Why consider a maths-heavy course like engineering if you're not confident about your ability to do A-level maths though? The level of maths you'll do during an engineering degree course will be considerably higher than that of A-level maths, so if you don't think you can handle it, you might want to reconsider.
    because i like physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)

^this.

There are hard questions in the book, but you won't be asked them in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    ^this.

There are hard questions in the book, but you won't be asked them in the exam.
    so its not that hard? and someone who is currently working at an A grade at maths gcse would be able to cope

ReputationRep:
    so its not that hard? and someone who is currently working at an A grade at maths gcse would be able to cope
    I got an A in GCSE Maths and self taught AS Maths in 4 months

So yes, it's easy, especially if you are in a class

There's someone on this site doing further maths with a B at GCSE and they get on very well too

If you think you'll be able to do it, you'll be able to. If you think you wont be able to do it, you wont be able to do it. And that's just the bottom line my friend.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think i wanna do engineering or pharmacy
    I would advice you to definitely do Maths, Physics, One of biology or science, then for the last one anything really

ReputationRep:
    I got an A in GCSE Maths and self taught AS Maths in 4 months

So yes, it's easy, especially if you are in a class

There's someone on this site doing further maths with a B at GCSE and they get on very well too

If you think you'll be able to do it, you'll be able to. If you think you wont be able to do it, you wont be able to do it. And that's just the bottom line my friend.
    thanks! helped me alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __Student__)
    I would advice you to definitely do Maths, Physics, One of biology or science, then for the last one anything really
    i think i will do maths and all three sciences as i like science and i wanna keep my options open

ReputationRep:
    i think i will do maths and all three sciences as i like science and i wanna keep my options open
    Lol I meant One of biology or chemistry (how embarrassing) , If you'd all 4 then definitely go for it. I am choosing maths, biology, chemistry and another I'm not sure about. Although I've been acing my physics exam, there a huge difference between the difficult from GCSE and A level so I don't want to take the risk and then end up flopping.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.