Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Presidential-style 'Thatcher Library' watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Starting to get the impression that some think to merely attack Thatcher's legacy should be criminalized. I can't wait for her funeral to be over and for the country to move past her death. This boxing match between diehards on the left and right, many of whom are so polarized their views are meaningless, is getting tiresome.

agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Starting to get the impression that some think to merely attack Thatcher's legacy should be criminalized. I can't wait for her funeral to be over and for the country to move past her death. This boxing match between diehards on the left and right, many of whom are so polarized their views are meaningless, is getting tiresome.
    ditto

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well it has not done any of the sort so are and till it does you sound like a leftist paranoid loon assuming it will.

Wow three whole cabinet ministers, might as well call it government supported....

So what if it wants to spin a positive view of Thatcher? It's well within its right to. The left (a meaningless term but it serves the current purpose) are free to create their own thatcher myths and are currently doing so. The way you go on you'd think anyone who opposed Thatcher was being rounded up and shot.
    Nothing paranoid about it, based on past experience for this type of centre, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that they will be seeking access to various types of funds, including public funds, in the future.

It's completely obviously a vehicle of the Tory Party, it's hardly a matter of it not having many ministers, if it has Liam Fox, Pickles, Tebbit and Parkinson behind it, it's a major party project, not some minor offshoot.

It also isn't paranoia to be very concerned about the role of all these right-wing heavily-US-funded bodies generating policy in the UK. Many are supported by the Heritage Foundation, which also funds climate change denial, has advocated open warfare with the Muslim world, has heavily funded tea party candidates, etc. The agenda is one of controlling politics in London from the Right in Washington. A lot of the current policies being extolled by the Tory government are written in think tanks with these types of supporters and views.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! That is a great idea. I visited the Clinton Library in Little Rock and it is absolutely wonderful. Do it for Thatcher. She was the greatest peacetime Prime Minister this country has ever had!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Nothing paranoid about it, based on past experience for this type of centre, it's perfectly reasonable to assume that they will be seeking access to various types of funds, including public funds, in the future.

It's completely obviously a vehicle of the Tory Party, it's hardly a matter of it not having many ministers, if it has Liam Fox, Pickles, Tebbit and Parkinson behind it, it's a major party project, not some minor offshoot.

It also isn't paranoia to be very concerned about the role of all these right-wing heavily-US-funded bodies generating policy in the UK. Many are supported by the Heritage Foundation, which also funds climate change denial, has advocated open warfare with the Muslim world, has heavily funded tea party candidates, etc. The agenda is one of controlling politics in London from the Right in Washington. A lot of the current policies being extolled by the Tory government are written in think tanks with these types of supporters and views.
    So? Labour has plenty of think tanks backed by party Grandees. It's something done by every major party, it helps create policy that is then put to the electorate.

And I'm sure if I could be bothered I'd find plenty of extremes views given out by think tanks that have some link back to the Labour party or any other part in Uk politics.

Could you please source this crap about US funded? You've been bleeting about US money in UK politics from the 80's onwards. Could you please source these claims? I'd like sources explaining major US funding in the 80's, the 90's for consistency and sources explaining US money in the current Tory party and US money linked to this center.

ReputationRep:
    Now comes the news that Tories are planning to build a Thatcher Library in London, similar to the US Presidential Libraries.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-memorial.html

The project will cost £15m (with much of the cash coming from America - surprise!) and will also be a 'training centre', similar to US right-wing bodies like the Heritage Foundation.

Conservative Way Forward and Eric Pickles (lol) are amongst the very high quality supporters of the project. Free literature extolling the Thatcher way will be sent to schools and school children will be brought in for indoctrination.

One wonders if there is any limit to the scheming, hubris and zeal of the Resurgent Right.
    Good- a lot of people could do with being educated about a bit of political history.

One of the Glasgow partiers was on Radio 2 a few days ago and he said he didn't like her because she started the Iraq war, unbelievable!

P.S.

Name:  egg-on-face.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  15.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    i see noproblem with this... just because some pinkos dont like her brand of ideology why should others be fdeprived of it? especially when americas footing the tab.

ReputationRep:
    One wonders if there is any limit to the scheming, hubris and zeal of the Resurgent Right.
    It is a privately funded library and think-tank. Just like all the other think-tanks. Nothing wrong with that.

It sounds like you want to make spreading political views you don't agree with illegal. People are perfectly entitled to spread their opinions and stand up for what they believe in - its called free speech.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

I'm curious if I'm going to get a reply out of you on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I'm curious if I'm going to get a reply out of you on this
    I've had a quick look and there is lots of material on the web confirming the US-funding origin (and offshore tax exile-origin) of numerous Tory thinktanks. It's all easily available. I don't have time to write an essay on it now, but it's there.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I've had a quick look and there is lots of material on the web confirming the US-funding origin (and offshore tax exile-origin) of numerous Tory thinktanks. It's all easily available. I don't have time to write an essay on it now, but it's there.
    Ah so you can't make the argument then. You made the claims you can source them.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair the heritage foundation has produced lots of useful research to many economists. E.g their free market index.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Ah so you can't make the argument then. You made the claims you can source them.
    Sigh. Obviously you would say that, but you are as capable of googling as I am. If I get time later I will do some more on it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Sigh. Obviously you would say that, but you are as capable of googling as I am. If I get time later I will do some more on it.
    If you aren't willing to back up your arguments then you should not be making them. Simples really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    If you aren't willing to back up your arguments then you should not be making them. Simples really.
    I think that comment just speaks to your lack of knowledge, information has circulated in the press for years about the US funding origins of the Conservative Party and their fringe groups, not to mention Lord Ashcroft and his dodgy empire in Belize.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think that comment just speaks to your lack of knowledge, information has circulated in the press for years about the US funding origins of the Conservative Party and their fringe groups, not to mention Lord Ashcroft and his dodgy empire in Belize.
    So I'm sure you'll easily be able to dig this up for me. Since as I said before your the one making these claims so should be willing to back them up when asked. You'll find most people will expect YOU to provide evidence when you make claims, asking them to just makes it look like you have no idea what your on about.

ReputationRep:
    Seeing how rapid leftists are brainwashing everyone with their agendas everywhere, would be nice to have something with an alternative view no?

Not like the current right wing Government is right leaning anyway.

ReputationRep:
    This thread isn't about where Thatcher's papers are. It's about the creation of a new right-wing indoctrination centre in London, a sort of Reaganite Heritage Foundation for persuading children and the gullible.
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/...yle-propaganda

The left love a bit of thought control.

EU spends £2 billlion a year indoctrinating children.

ReputationRep:

Care to demonstrate that

ReputationRep:
    The funds are all private - what's the problem OP?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.