Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    There's idiots a lot older.

However lets look at some of the things youcan't do at 16.
    Drink
    Drive
    Smoke
    Do Jury Service
    Go to War
    As well as a hole host of other issues.

If the voting age gets dropped to 16, then so should the others.

The argument about dropping the age to 16 normally gets supported by political parties who try to gain advantage in it by maipulating younger voters.

So personally, I'd like to see it raised to 18 and ensure that everybody is in full time education untiol 18 as well.
    Yeah I agree there should be consistency. I favour 16 over 18 because 16 is really when the person starts doing what they want instead of being an extension of their parents.

Also that would ruin full time education, all the idiots would stay on and make it a horrible place for everyone that wants to be there.

(Original post by TheChosenGnome)
    Well after two years (plus) of paying adult fees and being able to do more, 18 year olds may (hopefully) begin to realise that things actually do cost money and therefore begin to realise how the economy works and why various things happen
    Why should you have to pay adult fees if you're legally not an adult? And politics isn't just about economics on its own it's a whole host of things.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16 myself, and I'm sorry most 16 year olds don't care about politics

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad to see the voting system works. I voted for no one, and no one won.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

If you're old enough to consent to medical procedures, sex and join the military, you're old enough to have your voice heard.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 16, interested in politics and would love to have my say in the matter. However I know many people my age who know nothing about how the world works and simply aren't interested in politics, they are simply too interested in celebrity culture and themselves.

ReputationRep:
    As a very politically aware 15 year old, I completely agree with lowering it to 16 or 17. It really frustrates me that I'm not going to be old enough to vote in the next general election, despite people a year older than me with no interest in at all will be able to.

ReputationRep:
    I support 100% suffrage for everyone: every single member of society, for our democratic system supposed to reflect the general public so why should it not reflect the 16 year olds, many of whom live a separated from their parents adult tax-paying lives.

More fundamentally, who is to claim that one decision is rational while the other isn't? What about BNP voters? You'll get many 40 year olds who will never be able to make an educated decision in contrast to some 16 year olds. Who is to decide what is wrong and what is right. You can be a postgraduate fool and a wise yob: and prove me that's not the case - you can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    No way.

Although there are a minority of relatively smart 16 year olds in the country, they are far outnumbered by the number of idiots at that age.
    there are idiots at any age, many of those who are idiots at 16 dont mature for a long time after that...

ReputationRep:
    No, a lot of 16 year olds are still in the process of maturing and gaining independence, therefore I'm sure 60% of them would make voting decisions that have been encouraged by parents or a non-researched vote, just for the sake of it. We don't want the financial/political state of the country to be heavily influenced by the votes of people that have only just gained the legal right to buy a lottery ticket, although I'm sure there are many capable 16 year olds, there are just too many ill-informed, immature ones that could negatively impact the voting system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alix23)
    As a very politically aware 15 year old, I completely agree with lowering it to 16 or 17. It really frustrates me that I'm not going to be old enough to vote in the next general election, despite people a year older than me with no interest in at all will be able to.
    Are you a politically aware? Or are you being influenced by others such as your parents?

I will be that your awareness stems around animal creulty, the environment and any other host of left wing agenda.

I'm not having a go at you, but that's generally what politically aware 15 year olds were on about because I was influenced by left wing teachers and parenst. My views however changed dramatically when I grew up, moved out from home and started having to pay my own way in life.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a politically aware? Or are you being influenced by others such as your parents?

I will be that your awareness stems around animal creulty, the environment and any other host of left wing agenda.

I'm not having a go at you, but that's generally what politically aware 15 year olds were on about because I was influenced by left wing teachers and parenst. My views however changed dramatically when I grew up, moved out from home and started having to pay my own way in life.
    Nope, I have views about most things. They were the things I focused on when I was about 13. I'm still vegetarian, but my views on animal cruelty aren't going to affect which party I support. Of course I don't have experience of certain things, but I don't think much will change between now and the time I leave university. And of course I'm influenced by people around me, but so is everybody.
    I'm not saying I should be able to vote at this age, but I don't understand why I shouldn't be able to in a year or two.

ReputationRep:

When I was 16 I supported issues like mental health campaigning and a heavy welfare state. I still do. My dad is a tory. So yeah, some of us are capable of thinking for ourselves. Don't assume every young person is just repeating their family's views

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DenzelRyder)
    I'm glad to see the voting system works. I voted for no one, and no one won.
    Why wouldn't you vote?

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to see it raised to 21. I'm 19.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Because at 16, you can leave school (although this will soon change), you can get a job, you can have sex legally, you can fight for your country, you have to pay adult prices for everything, you can get married and you generally start doing what you wish instead of just going with it and developing as a person.

Yet you can't vote
    You can get a job, but almost definitely won't pay tax. You can have sex, but why would that mean you can decide the fate of the country? You can join the army, you cannot fight on the front line. You pay adult prices, what the hell has that got to do with anything? In some places, adult prices are for 12+ anyway, and it should have no impact on voting age that you have to pay a bit more for cinema tickets. You can only get married with parental consent, so if you cant do something like that without asking mummy and daddy i think that shows you shouldn't yet be able to vote. I don't know about you, but when i was 16, i couldn't "do what i wish". You start developing as a person when you hit your teens and all the way through, 16 isn't a landmark in terms of personal development.

ReputationRep:
    In the Isle of Man 16 years can both vote and drive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliemac41)
    You can get a job, but almost definitely won't pay tax. You can have sex, but why would that mean you can decide the fate of the country? You can join the army, you cannot fight on the front line. You pay adult prices, what the hell has that got to do with anything? In some places, adult prices are for 12+ anyway, and it should have no impact on voting age that you have to pay a bit more for cinema tickets. You can only get married with parental consent, so if you cant do something like that without asking mummy and daddy i think that shows you shouldn't yet be able to vote. I don't know about you, but when i was 16, i couldn't "do what i wish". You start developing as a person when you hit your teens and all the way through, 16 isn't a landmark in terms of personal development.
    You can work full time, and depending what you do pay tax. That doesn't matter you're still involved in it. You're competant to make your own decisions, that's why it's relevant. Adult prices are relevant because if you're going to charge someone adult prices, they deserve adult privileges. Picking and choosing is ridiculous.

I had epically liberal parents so other than legal restrictions (and who really cares?) I could pretty much do whatever at 16. By 16, most people will start doing this, even if their parents aren't so liberal they'll start acting how they wish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    The simple unavoidable truth is the following:

a) The brain isn't fully developed yet at 16.
    b) 16 year olds have unrealistic expectations about the world as they've not yet started working.
    c) It's only two years of your life you have to wait in order to get something that's pointless really.
    d) Politicians would abuse the younger vote garnering making us even less about policy and more about image.

I'm not saying 18 year olds are automatically more capable of making informed decisions, and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't mind it be raised to 21. The simple truth is school life isn't the real world, and I personally believe most (not all) 16 year olds wouldn't vote on policy at all, but on propoganda.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    18 is more of a "universal" adult age... But there are still things that an 18 year old can't do. Complete flexibility comes for 21-25 year old and probably elder in some cases. Sure, a 16 year old can earn a salary and pay tax, but many won't care about the politics of that (they just want to be paid) and so another few years can't really hurt that much. By age 18 you will probably have a slightly better understanding of where tax money goes and see the effects more. Still, that's quite an immature age in the grand scheme of things.

Before lowering the voting age though, regardless of your view on the mature age to vote, more needs to be done to encourage interest in the subject and make people want to vote. You could lower the voting age to 5 (so people can legally drink alcohol and go to the polls, hoorah) and the turnout would be minimally better than what it is now for young people. Very few people give a damn about voting. Perhaps if the curriculum promoted it and did more to teach children about why it's important they would have a reason to vote. I still don't really care about politics too much, I just don't have the time or effort to fully go into it. Of course, regardless of political stance, I know one person who I wouldn't trust to adjust the curriculum any further.

So yeah: My concern would be in education and less about voting age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    You can work full time, and depending what you do pay tax. That doesn't matter you're still involved in it. You're competant to make your own decisions, that's why it's relevant. Adult prices are relevant because if you're going to charge someone adult prices, they deserve adult privileges. Picking and choosing is ridiculous.

I had epically liberal parents so other than legal restrictions (and who really cares?) I could pretty much do whatever at 16. By 16, most people will start doing this, even if their parents aren't so liberal they'll start acting how they wish.
    But as i said, adult prices in many places start at age 12. Its like saying "if i eat off the adult menu at a restaurant i deserve to be treated like an adult" companies wanting to earn more money by charging adult prices at as low an age as possible has absolutely noting to do with whether the government should lower the voting age.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.