Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think he should leave JW out. Roscicky's been on form recently. I want the Ox get more minutes too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Dunno really I don't think anyone really knows whats happening with Szcz because there has been no mention of an injury that I have seen or heard of, he didn't get in the squad for Bayern then was in for 2 now out for 2 which suggests an injury or fitness problem so I would guess Mannone ?
    This goalkeeping situation atm is pretty odd. Although Szczesny's performances prior to getting dropped didn't fill me with much confidence, I'd much rather see him start than Mannone who is pretty awful imo.

Also, it's nice that we have a lot of solid options for the front 4 positions - Walcott, Podolski, Cazorla, Wilshere, Rosicky, Chambo and Giroud are all good players - so it's a good selection headache for Wenger to have.

ReputationRep:
    New thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    True. But I personally don't think the Emirates is a good 'home ground.' It's far too nice and cushy. It's not in the least intimidating, and the club missed a massive trick by not making either the clock end or the north bank a proper home end, like Sp*rs are doing with their new swamp. Just having that mentality that this is our end would have have helped the atmosphere. I think another thing is that there are barely any groups of young people who can afford to go together. I can only go because my dad pays (same with my brothers). When I leave home which is fairly soon my dad will probably stop paying for my ticket. Another problem is the ground is filled with middle aged geezers. They may have made a racket in the 70's and 80's, but they cannot be bothered anymore. All they do now is moan and complain, apart from the odd special match a la Barca, Milan etc. There are also far too many new breed fans who expect to be entertained instead of getting behind the team. All comes back to ticket prices and the gentrification of the game.

Also, I wouldn't particularly mind if we became a dirty team again for a while so all the guardian reading islingtonites and people there for the 'pretty' football bugger off. Only come to the ground if you want to see the Arsenal. Nothing else. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...beautiful-life . Would this muppet have started supporting us if it weren't for the 'pretty football.' Does he know that yellow and blue are as much Arsenal colours as red and white. Does he know who Frank Stapleton and Liam Brady are. Maybe this bloke does, but he's symptomatic of the ignorant, beautiful football seeking luvies who are widespread at the Emirates, and have no appreciation for our club or our history, and make no noise. I have no problem with non-local fans (he's local) or middle class fans (we've always been London's most middle class club I reckon) I have a massive problem with the bandwagon jumpers, to whom the club are trying to attach themselves. Saw my dad get 'shushed' by a sloane ranger at the Arsenal fairly recently. Could not believe it...
    What a ****, guy deserves a slap...

ReputationRep:
    Szczesny isn't in the U21 squad for tonight so I'm guessing he will be in the team for the next match.

Edit: Amy Lawrence, who is currently speaking at the AST meeting and who did the Szczesny interview more recently, says that there was a lot of things Szczesny said in the interview that as an Arsenal fan she felt it was not right to publish. Recent include not being motivated enough when playing against Stoke and Szczesny's encounters with Spurs fans in the streets.

Maybe he has become too laid back and that's why he has been dropped from the squad?

These AST meetings are so depressing

ReputationRep:
    True. But I personally don't think the Emirates is a good 'home ground.' It's far too nice and cushy. It's not in the least intimidating, and the club missed a massive trick by not making either the clock end or the north bank a proper home end, like Sp*rs are doing with their new swamp. Just having that mentality that this is our end would have have helped the atmosphere. I think another thing is that there are barely any groups of young people who can afford to go together. I can only go because my dad pays (same with my brothers). When I leave home which is fairly soon my dad will probably stop paying for my ticket. Another problem is the ground is filled with middle aged geezers. They may have made a racket in the 70's and 80's, but they cannot be bothered anymore. All they do now is moan and complain, apart from the odd special match a la Barca, Milan etc. There are also far too many new breed fans who expect to be entertained instead of getting behind the team. All comes back to ticket prices and the gentrification of the game.

Also, I wouldn't particularly mind if we became a dirty team again for a while so all the guardian reading islingtonites and people there for the 'pretty' football bugger off. Only come to the ground if you want to see the Arsenal. Nothing else. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...beautiful-life . Would this muppet have started supporting us if it weren't for the 'pretty football.' Does he know that yellow and blue are as much Arsenal colours as red and white. Does he know who Frank Stapleton and Liam Brady are. Maybe this bloke does, but he's symptomatic of the ignorant, beautiful football seeking luvies who are widespread at the Emirates, and have no appreciation for our club or our history, and make no noise. I have no problem with non-local fans (he's local) or middle class fans (we've always been London's most middle class club I reckon) I have a massive problem with the bandwagon jumpers, to whom the club are trying to attach themselves. Saw my dad get 'shushed' by a sloane ranger at the Arsenal fairly recently. Could not believe it...
    Tbf, you can't keep clinging to an Arsenal that isn't there anymore. When we made the Emirates, we created a global brand. You can call them bandwagon jumpers, but they're the reason we're supposedly able to make a great financial return on the Emirates. Whether you like it or not, it was a couple of Frenchmen who came to a little English club in Highbury and propelled it to dizzying heights. That's inevitably going to attract a lot of new fans. And I don't see anything wrong with that. If we wanted to remain North London's finest, in our classy little Higbury stadium, that's fine - but we've made the decision to go global, and you need to accept everything that comes with that. Like most of the big teams in the BPL, there's nothing English about our Stadium, nothing English about manager, nothing English about most of our greatest players in recent times, nothing English about our philosophy or style of play - and naturally, nothing particularly English about our fanbase. We don't need to detract any segment of support from our matchday footfall - just try to be more inclusive to those local to the club.

ReputationRep:
    You guys really think Wenger is going to drop Gervinho? I think Wenger is more stubborn than you think. :lol:

Maybe he has become too laid back and that's why he has been dropped from the squad?
    There could be lots of reasons so I don't want to speculate. But I do want to say something completely irrelevant but sort of tangentially on topic which is that I always thought these Wojcech versus.. videos were pretty cringeworthy. Really glad he stopped doing those. Or the ones Alex did (doc alex or something? :facepalm2: ). Maybe it's just me or maybe their media department is just not very good.

PS. OK a serious point. I do think young players shouldn't be asked to do those things (and I'm sure they were asked by someone who cares about PR more than player development, and being young and silly they agreed to it). Interviews and chat is OK. But not soap or reality show imitations which come back to bite you in the ass when you stop playing well, let's face it. They are not actors, they should be left to focus on their football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    Tbf, you can't keep clinging to an Arsenal that isn't there anymore. When we made the Emirates, we created a global brand. You can call them bandwagon jumpers, but they're the reason we're supposedly able to make a great financial return on the Emirates. Whether you like it or not, it was a couple of Frenchmen who came to a little English club in Highbury and propelled it to dizzying heights. That's inevitably going to attract a lot of new fans. And I don't see anything wrong with that. If we wanted to remain North London's finest, in our classy little Higbury stadium, that's fine - but we've made the decision to go global, and you need to accept everything that comes with that. Like most of the big teams in the BPL, there's nothing English about our Stadium, nothing English about manager, nothing English about most of our greatest players in recent times, nothing English about our philosophy or style of play - and naturally, nothing particularly English about our fanbase. We don't need to detract any segment of support from our matchday footfall - just try to be more inclusive to those local to the club.
    Dont really care about who the fans are, they just need to make some bloody noise. Germans are becoming global but they seem to have kept their great fan bases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Dont really care about who the fans are, they just need to make some bloody noise. Germans are becoming global but they seem to have kept their great fan bases.
    It does help that they don't get told to be quiet but stewards and such. Not just at Arsenal but at loads of clubs it seems people get told off if they try get some noise going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    It does help that they don't get told to be quiet but stewards and such. Not just at Arsenal but at loads of clubs it seems people get told off if they try get some noise going.
    Never really paid attention to them if im honest. Im sure its not illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Never really paid attention to them if im honest. Im sure its not illegal.
    They threaten to kick you out though and apparently even take season tickets away. Pretty good motivation to keep it down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    They threaten to kick you out though and apparently even take season tickets away. Pretty good motivation to keep it down.
    Ive been warned probably twice but it was never anything serious so never gave it a thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nosaer)
    I think it's a real shame. Why Arsenal want to break with everything that made it special is really something bewildering to me. Highbury was known as one of the most special grounds in England. Everyone knew about the Art Deco Stand and the Marble Halls and what that meant. I don't know if you remember what the club promised when they built the stadium but it was the following: to be able to compete with European elites, AND they explicitly promised cheaper tickets. What a complete lie.

Also, I don't get why you think it's a good thing or even an ok thing that there is nothing English about our club. There are plenty of good and admirable things about English football: the style of the grounds, (for the first time in my life I'm jealous of Tottenham fans) the tenacity and spirit of the players (or do you think the modern Arsenal is too sophisticated and cosmopolitan for the likes of TA and the Romford Pele) and the passion of the fans. I couldn't be happier that we finally are seeing more English players in the starting XI. I don't know about others on this forum but I always feel (perhaps irrationally but it's how I feel) far more connected and invested in English players at the club. Arsenal are an English club, and while we've gone very far down an international approach, we shouldn't forget what our past is. And that's exactly what the club is doing. From changing the traditional away colours to having overzealous stewards so that 'civilised' people can enjoy the 'soccer' in peace and quiet. I can't and don't 'accept that.' If people want to become Arsenal fans, they're more than welcome. I'm proud we never had any mugs at Highbury like Chelsea, West Ham or Millwall. But the club shouldn't have to change for them.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a real shame. Why Arsenal want to break with everything that made it special is really something bewildering to me. Highbury was known as one of the most special grounds in England. Everyone knew about the Art Deco Stand and the Marble Halls and what that meant. I don't know if you remember what the club promised when they built the stadium but it was the following: to be able to compete with European elites, AND they explicitly promised cheaper tickets. What a complete lie.

Also, I don't get why you think it's a good thing or even an ok thing that there is nothing English about our club. There are plenty of good and admirable things about English football: the style of the grounds, (for the first time in my life I'm jealous of Tottenham fans) the tenacity and spirit of the players (or do you think the modern Arsenal is too sophisticated and cosmopolitan for the likes of TA and the Romford Pele) and the passion of the fans. I couldn't be happier that we finally are seeing more English players in the starting XI. I don't know about others on this forum but I always feel (perhaps irrationally but it's how I feel) far more connected and invested in English players at the club. Arsenal are an English club, and while we've gone very far down an international approach, we shouldn't forget what our past is. And that's exactly what the club is doing. From changing the traditional away colours to having overzealous stewards so that 'civilised' people can enjoy the 'soccer' in peace and quiet. I can't and don't 'accept that.' If people want to become Arsenal fans, they're more than welcome. I'm proud we never had any mugs at Highbury like Chelsea, West Ham or Millwall. But the club shouldn't have to change for them.
    I don't think it's a necessarily a good thing, but I do realise that the climate has forced us to change to stay relevant, and there are undeniable benefits we've seen with our transformation over the past two or so decades. I dunno, but I felt, initially at least, Wenger wasn't particularly keen on English players. Don't know if he thought they were overpriced or perhaps he wasn't too fond of the attitudes. As for your bold statement, it would appear so. When was the last time Wenger bought a diehard raving nutcase? Look at all his signings over the past few years and the thing they all have in common is a distinct lack of tenacity. Maybe he sees this as a positive trait, thinking such players will lend a greater chance of not rocking the boat. But if you look at players such as Giroud, Podolski, Ox, Walcott, Gerv, Chamakh, Park, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Eduardo, Arshavin, etc. The last player I can remember him buying that was probably closest to such a character might have been Gallas, and that didn't end well. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Amy Lawrence (journalist with little bit of inside knowledge of Arsenal) was on the radio earlier. Said we didn't spend much in January becausee we're going to be spending a Lot on new players this summer. Also said the board in the past has offered to look for players for Wenger before but he's declined. Also says Gazidis is out of his depth in his role at the club. Quite fraaankly if the second point is true (doubt it though) can you blame Wenger? Kroenke and Gazidis know sweet FA about football, why we'd want them to be in charge of looking for players is beyond me. Boards shouldn't get involved with transfers, very rarely ends well at other clubs anyway. Leave it to the manager ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glousck)
    Amy Lawrence (journalist with little bit of inside knowledge of Arsenal) was on the radio earlier. Said we didn't spend much in January becausee we're going to be spending a Lot on new players this summer.
    that gets said before every transfer window then we end up signing players like jenkinson, park-chu young and eisfield

(Original post by glousck)
    Boards shouldn't get involved with transfers, very rarely ends well at other clubs anyway. Leave it to the manager ffs.
    wenger is **** with signings tbh, let them have a go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    that gets said before every transfer window then we end up signing players like jenkinson, park-chu young and eisfield

wenger is **** with signings tbh, let them have a go
    Jenkinson is doing great, eisfeld looks like a good player (although at twenty i would have liked him to have some goes in the first team), cazorla's been great this season as has mertesacker, giroud has had his good times as has podolski.

The board know nothing about football, do you really want us to be the club that spends 50 mil on the next torres?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Jenkinson is doing great, eisfeld looks like a good player (although at twenty i would have liked him to have some goes in the first team), cazorla's been great this season as has mertesacker, giroud has had his good times as has podolski.

The board know nothing about football, do you really want us to be the club that spends 50 mil on the next torres?
    jenkinson scored a brilliant own goal in his debut and had the worst possible debut season. this season he has been inconsistent - playing very good then very **** the following match. i'm sorry, he aint no philip lahm

i havent even seen eisfeld play yet (aka he is ****)

giroud has also been ****, lets be honest. man united sign RVP, PSG sign ibrahimovic and who do we sign? ****ing olivier giroud

nah no club will ever spend 35mil on carrol or 50mil on torres again, that was a one off season. torres was on fire at the time they made the signing though - im sure none of us would have minded if wenger splashed some cash on him (hindsight is a wonderful thing)

these guys have been running london's best club for how many years? i'm sure they know more about football than u do son

ReputationRep:
    lets not forget gervinho ROFL. worst signing since squillaci and chamakh, wenger is losing the plot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    lets not forget gervinho ROFL. worst signing since squillaci and chamakh, wenger is losing the plot
    Do you find it cool trolling every football thread?

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.