Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Enriching The North: If I Were A Billionaire, How Could I Enrich The North? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Increasingly, we see that the UK is quite South-East-centric, as it were and not a lot of investment is pumped into the North; not to mention the seat of power being in the South and the South (mainly London) being the business hub of the country.

So, if I were a benevolent billionaire with several billions to spare, how could I ensure the long-term prosperity of the North and attract big investment there? How could I break down the so-called North-South divide in terms of issues like inequality and whatnot?
    Leave the EU and spend the money we give to the EU developing the North (and Wales AND Scotland!)

ReputationRep:
    So you would leave landlords as they are, yet abolish the minimum wage?? Surely that would cause chaos? Rents in London would still be high, effectively forcing people out from London and making the capital exclusively for the wealthy. What if landlords keep raising their prices regardless?

Abolishing the minimum wage without considering other factors would be catastrophic.
    I agree but Germany doesn't have a NMW!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    What, just creating a transport line and improving a university will do it?

What makes you think that investment will suddenly flood in just because there's a good university there or because there's a new train line?

I live in the south east - I've never been to the north in my life. It's not because it's too difficult or costly to get there, and it's not because they don't have a world-class university - it's because there is absolutely no point in going there. Why would I want to?

When I have London on my doorstep (where I attend university) why on earth would I want to go to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds etc?

What does the north have that the south doesn't (resentment of southerners aside)?

I certainly can't think of anything.
    Somewhere different? The north has some wonderful countryside for example, the peak district & lake district, the Yorkshire Dales. Living is also a lot cheaper.

Different customs, different people. It has plenty of things London has and more. Sure London has things it doesn't but don't you get bored staying in the same place all your life?

For something like Uni, you get a chance to live somewhere else for 3 years, I can't imagine staying at home.

ReputationRep:
    Start by getting people off their arses and into employment

(Yes this is tongue-in-cheek, yes my parents are from up North!)

ReputationRep:
    This thread needs to go back on track. If users continue to have spammy arguments that are of no relevance to the thread discussion, the thread will have to be closed and the users given warnings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emaemmaemily)
    This thread needs to go back on track. If users continue to have spammy arguments that are of no relevance to the thread discussion, the thread will have to be closed and the users given warnings.
    My apologies. :ashamed: :sigh:

I and Barden shall take this elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Start by getting people off their arses and into employment

(Yes this is tongue-in-cheek, yes my parents are from up North!)
    And what do you - one who lives in the region - think the major problem facing "The North" are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    Somewhere different? The north has some wonderful countryside for example, the peak district & lake district, the Yorkshire Dales. Living is also a lot cheaper.

Different customs, different people. It has plenty of things London has and more. Sure London has things it doesn't but don't you get bored staying in the same place all your life?

For something like Uni, you get a chance to live somewhere else for 3 years, I can't imagine staying at home.
    I agree - it wouldn't be conducive to stay in one place for one's entire life - not even London or New York or whatnot. And living in Britain, it does help to explore the rest of the country, from the nice South West to the National Parks and whatnot further into the North.

ReputationRep:
    And what do you - one who lives in the region - think the major problem facing "The North" are?
    I do actually think social attitude is far worse up here with views towards employment. That's not to say the same attitudes don't exist elsewhere, but it certainly feels more extensive here than where I lived previously in the Midlands.

Otherwise, I suppose the main limiting factor is the lack of international business (which is obviously a huge factor in generating good venues!). The only real international businesses north of Chesire are internet-based and rely on shipping. There are no financial institutions (global ones, at least) with headquarters up north. They seem to focus their attention towards London.

ReputationRep:
    My apologies. :ashamed: :sigh:

I and Barden shall take this elsewhere.
    I demand satisfaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    I live in the south east - I've never been to the north in my life. It's not because it's too difficult or costly to get there, and it's not because they don't have a world-class university - it's because there is absolutely no point in going there. Why would I want to?
    To properly experience and get to know your own country? Moreoever, there are unique festivals, buildings, organisations and events across the country.

I just don't understand the people who spend travel extensively across the world, but make to effort to get to know their own country and h (all with some fantastic, unique features)

When I have London on my doorstep (where I attend university) why on earth would I want to go to Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds etc?

What does the north have that the south doesn't (resentment of southerners aside)?

I certainly can't think of anything.
    Name:  300px-Bamburgh_2006_closeup.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  18.1 KB

Name:  housesteads_hadrians_wall.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  43.0 KB

Name:  LakeButtermere.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  25.8 KB

And there really isn't the resentment of "southerners" that you perceive. There is, however, some resentment that such major wealth producing regions have now become the playthings of foreign multi-nationals, with the UK becoming an island for financial services (which is so heavily concentrated in Whitehall). But this isn't resentment against "southerners".

(Original post by MJK91)
    Otherwise, I suppose the main limiting factor is the lack of international business (which is obviously a huge factor in generating good venues!). The only real international businesses north of Chesire are internet-based and rely on shipping.
    Greggs :p: In all seriousness, though, they do (or did) have a few shops on the continent.

Are you just referring to those with headquarters, or also major manufacturing centres and offices? As there are plenty of the latter.

Also, the North East is becoming a major region in off-shore engineering and renewable energy, with international companies such as DUCO (Technip) and IHC.

However, in terms of home grown international companies (besides Greggs) I can only think of Sage. So the software/IT as you mention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Greggs :p: In all seriousness, though, they do (or did) have a few shops on the continent.

Are you just referring to those with headquarters, or also major manufacturing centres and offices? As there are plenty of the latter.

Also, the North East is becoming a major region in off-shore engineering and renewable energy, with international companies such as DUCO (Technip) and IHC.

However, in terms of home grown international companies (besides Greggs) I can only think of Sage. So the software/IT as you mention.
    Haha yeah I was referring to more finance-related industries than engineering and such. I'm aware of the fairly large industry base up North, and indeed that continues all the way to Scotland. Land is cheaper which has probably helped influence the decision to build up North, but manage down South (as a whole!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    Haha yeah I was referring to more finance-related industries than engineering and such. I'm aware of the fairly large industry base up North, and indeed that continues all the way to Scotland. Land is cheaper which has probably helped influence the decision to build up North, but manage down South (as a whole!)
    Well why specifically financial industries and not engineering and manufacturing? Do you think the German economy has become so strong in recent years as a result of its financial services?

Also, these are companies which aren't headquartered down south. They are either international companies, with major field offices in the north, or national companies who are based in the north. Take TNEI Services, for example, who are based in Newcastle. Or the National Centre for Renewable Energy which is in Blyth, Northumberland (north east of Newcastle).

The reason why these are in the north isn't down to cost-effectiveness. It's partly because this is where some of the academic expertise is with Durham and Newcastle universities as well as centres of excellence, and also geographical (by the coast, climate). Also the region has a strong history of manufacturing and engineering excellence.

Companies such as Nissan were attracted to Sunderland through the Thatcher government's Enterprise Zones, but did have similar sites located in Enterprise Zones elsewhere. They chose Sunderland for its industrial legacy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJK91)
    I do actually think social attitude is far worse up here with views towards employment. That's not to say the same attitudes don't exist elsewhere, but it certainly feels more extensive here than where I lived previously in the Midlands.

Otherwise, I suppose the main limiting factor is the lack of international business (which is obviously a huge factor in generating good venues!). The only real international businesses north of Chesire are internet-based and rely on shipping. There are no financial institutions (global ones, at least) with headquarters up north. They seem to focus their attention towards London.
    Leeds has the largest financial and legal sector outside London along with the regional headquarters (or something important like that) of Lloyds, Yorkshire, BOE and an Irish Bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Leeds has the largest financial and legal sector outside London along with the regional headquarters (or something important like that) of Lloyds, Yorkshire, BOE and an Irish Bank.
    Leeds still sucks however, serious investment is needed in Leeds Utd, it's awfull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    Leeds still sucks however, serious investment is needed in Leeds Utd, it's awfull.
    I love the city, don't like the club.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to? We've already subsidised that lot since mining became unprofitable. We gave them a public sector economy just so they could be employed.

The best thing you could do for the north is to make London and the Home Counties a country so that the north have to fend for themselves for a change and get their act together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Why would you want to? We've already subsidised that lot since mining became unprofitable. We gave them a public sector economy just so they could be employed.
    There was far more industry in the north than just coal mining, including some of the world's major shipbuilding centres and steel.

And what do you expect when authorities, including Westminster, effectively build large communities around one or two industries, which are then rapidly shut (by Wesminter). This is not the fault of local people.

The best thing you could do for the north is to make London and the Home Counties a country so that the north have to fend for themselves for a chance and get their act together.
    How do you propose the north gets "its act together"?

Far better remain the one country and actually get Westminster to gets its finger out and do things to help improve the infrastructure of the north, which has been neglected in favour of London and the south east. Just look at the motorway network, for example. Again, I'm afraid this is something which local people have little to no control over.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 7, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.