Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Everybody will be hoping this is another Anders Breveik so we can divert the attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SupernovaNebula)
    Then again it's probably Muslims, everyone's thinking it.
    no, they're not, although they might be thinking you're a bell-end.

While there's every chance you might be right, gas explosion or domestic right wing terrorism is every bit as likely in this scenario. Either way, your baseless speculation does nothing to help matters and is purely trying to whip people up to react as mindlessly as yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sucess)
    Race officials (people officiating the running)
    Oh cheers, I never realised the word race had two meanings! :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SupernovaNebula)
    Really scary, not safe anywhere. It could be the Koreans too
    You give the Koreans too much credit.

ReputationRep:
    Devastating, regardless of who is responsible.

(Original post by SuitUp!)
    The timing of the explosions is a little confusing tho? 3 hours after the professional runners have finished? surely the more dramatic explosion would have been then? or was it designed to hit innocents? - horrible images though.
    There's only a handful of professional runners. The bulk of people finishing will be a few hours after the professionals, so I'm assuming the explosion was designed to hurt/kill as many people as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuitUp!)
    Yeah I agree - either way it was going to be huge. Have any deaths been confirmed? :/
    Fox News are reporting three deaths but I'm not sure any have been confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    I guess the one decent thing is that there didn't seem to be reports of mass fatalities. Its a city race so even with all the blood at the scene there is a good chance plenty of those injured received medical treatment quite quickly.

I imagine the CIA and such are rubbing their hands together, an attack on US soil, surely a returned to the post 9/11 security levels, and will protect their budget.

I think I might flick over to CNN to see the US reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    Fewer people hit if timed for the professionals.

I love how your comment implies professional runners are not innocent. :P
    Didn't you know all professional runners are in fact hardened criminals!
    Whoever has been hit regardless of their degree of marathon running talent has been caught in a horrific event that has much bigger implications

ReputationRep:
    So the big question who did it? I put my money on a lone nutter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    I guess the one decent thing is that there didn't seem to be reports of mass fatalities. Its a city race so even with all the blood at the scene there is a good chance plenty of those injured received medical treatment quite quickly.

I imagine the CIA and such are rubbing their hands together, an attack on US soil, surely a returned to the post 9/11 security levels, and will protect their budget.

I think I might flick over to CNN to see the US reaction.
    Interesing analysis, might be a bitter sweet moment for them then

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. Something tells me it wasn't Al-Qaeda or Taliban related. In other words, I personally think that it probably was Muslims but just that those usual, infamous terrorist groups that we know about (that I just mentioned) didn't know about it.

I think it was done by people inspired by the terrorist groups but not ordered by those terrorist groups. If it was done by them then I think it would've have been more sophisticated.

ReputationRep:
    As terrible as this is, it's worth noting that this kind of thing happens all over the world almost on a daily basis. It's just that we don't receive mainstream news coverage of these other atrocities. I sincerely hope that nobody has died in these explosions, but I can't help but feel sorry for all the women and children who's deaths get swept under the carpet.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently ball bearings were found, which may give them an idea to the possible groups who did this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    Fox News are reporting three deaths but I'm not sure any have been confirmed.
    CNN just confirmed two deaths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    CNN just confirmed two deaths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    I don't know. Something tells me it wasn't Al-Qaeda or Taliban related. In other words, I personally think that it probably was Muslims but just that those usual, infamous terrorist groups that we know about (that I just mentioned) didn't know about it.

I think it was done by people inspired by the terrorist groups but not ordered by those terrorist groups. If it was done by them then I think it would've have been more sophisticated.
    Most of these terrorist groups are considered to be Al-Qaeda splinter groups or affiliates, in the news the terms are usually interchangeable. I would agree though, the size of the blasts were pretty small it would seem like quite a small scale attack rather a large well planned attack.

ReputationRep:
    Reports of a tent originally used to help fatigued runners now being used as a "make-shift morgue". Pretty grim by the sounds of it, they're reporting blast wounds, loss of limbs and fatalities but nothing confirmed officially as off yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luxray)
    Interesing analysis, might be a bitter sweet moment for them then
    Give it a few days and the conspiravy theories will be out about it being an inside job to ramp up support for the war on terror/increase surveillance on people.

ReputationRep:
    The bomb squad is out.

"Boston authorities warn they will cause a controlled explosion in the next few minutes but release no further details."

ReputationRep:
    https://vine.co/v/bFdt5uwg6JZ

Short clip of one explosion.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.