Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you have to use the handbrake all the time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .JJ)
    The worst thing you can do when learning to drive is worry about other road users' time. It's not a race to see who can do things fastest, doing things comfortably is what makes you a better and safer driver.
    This is very good advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xev bellringer)
    Lol Amy,Im on about keeping the car at bite.Can you imagine if anyone actually used their left leg to brake :lolwut: That would be stall central!!!!
    Wait, you don't actually hold the car on the biting point to keep it stationary, do you?!

Also left foot braking is very common - it is used to shift the load and balance of the car while driving quickly, and is very commonly used in motorsport. It is basically used to reduce understeer, and you can also use it to provoke oversteer.

Granted you don't really need to use it in normal road driving unless you are really pressing on, but it has its uses!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xev bellringer)
    Lol Amy,Im on about keeping the car at bite.Can you imagine if anyone actually used their left leg to brake :lolwut: That would be stall central!!!!

I don't use handbrake at traffic lights.I can keep the car still with my right leg on brake with no bother but my left leg gets crampy often.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh! Haha! I was in awe that you managed to do some crazy leg work when I read that.

Yeah my legs get crampy, especially after driving for like an hour or so. Think I might need to adjust my seat, but I'm one of those drivers that enjoys sitting basically on top of the steering wheel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    In what way is sitting with your foot on the brake possible inconsiderate to the driver behind? :lolwut:

At night I can see where you are coming from - some brake lights are very bright - but during the day I can't say I have ever been dazzled by brake lights.
    They do have an effect on the eyes of the driver behind especially if that driver has been on the road for some time

As a former distance trucker I can deffo state that is true

You might have a point if really bright sunlight is onto the rear but how often does that happen in the UK ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ROG.)
    They do have an effect on the eyes of the driver behind especially if that driver has been on the road for some time

As a former distance trucker I can deffo state that is true

You might have a point if really bright sunlight is onto the rear but how often does that happen in the UK ?
    Can't say I have ever experienced that during the day, but I see where you are coming from at night.

Brake lights aren't that bright, not like rear fogs or these stupid DRLs on modern cars!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.