Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twin)
    If you fear the 'Eternity' of death then here is a simple analogy to help. Before you were born you did not exist, you have no recollection of previous events preceding your existence. You have not existed for at least 13.7 billion years, yet you do not fear the time in which you did not exist. Rejecting the claim to the afterlife, when you die, you cease to exist; you ought not fear this as stated previously, non-existence conjures no thoughts of loneliness or emptiness.
    but its different, I am alive now, i have conscious though but knowing I can lose that forever is the scary bit. It is everyone's own opinion, I am just a wimp you is terrified of it :P i wish something could change that but alas, no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anythingoo1)
    Exactly, drowning, burned alive, starved, the many ways in which the victims in horror movies die, it's that more than anything for me too

But if I'm old and my time has come, then I wouldn't say there was anything to be afraid of
    Drowning would probably be the worst way to go! And yeah, exactly, the elderly generally die quite peacefully, like my nan, she died in her sleep. That'd be a nice way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    Drowning would probably be the worst way to go! And yeah, exactly, the elderly generally die quite peacefully, like my nan, she died in her sleep. That'd be a nice way
    Definitely, when you think about it, our bodies are so fragile and there are so many ways for us to go but yeah, in my sleep is how I'd like to go, but anything else relatively painless is also fine by me , and I'm sorry about your nan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livingstone)
    I read the thread title in a Davy Jones voice.
    You've no idea.

ReputationRep:
    I fear more of what will happen after death. I can't imagine it being nothing, I can't imagine what nothing would feel like. I've been brought up a Christian but I do question the idea of a heaven and a hell. If you were in heaven for ever and ever and ever it may eventually get a bit boring, and I can't see why an all-loving God would sanction an eternal punishment.

From a non-religious point of view, I can see some form of reincarnation happening. Not in the Hindu way, where what you were in a past life would effect who you are now, but in a totally random aspect. If we decay and our energy is released back into the atmosphere, then I could see some way that that energy forms a new organism. So I could be a British male, then die, then be something totally different, but have no access to any memories of whatever parts of your energy had made up before.

Whatever the **** I am talking about, I don't know. That's one of my many theories. Perhaps it is nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anythingoo1)
    Definitely, when you think about it, our bodies are so fragile and there are so many ways for us to go but yeah, in my sleep is how I'd like to go, but anything else relatively painless is also fine by me , and I'm sorry about your nan
    Exactly. Life's pretty fragile too. And thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaiDuc)
    You've no idea.
    About what?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I am absolutely terrified of it. Contrary to the majority of posts in this thread, I'm not so scared of the pain or the act of dying, it's the fear of the unknown. Sometimes I get really depressed over this and once I start thinking about it, I can't help it. I start envisioning what could happen after death to the point that I tell myself I want to become Christian just to be on the safe side and so that I know that God will always be on my side. I am agnostic because of this. But, yeah back to my original point, the fear of the unknown is what gets me. It sounds stupid but, I wish there was some way of knowing what it will be like, even if I can't do anything about it, maybe I could prepare myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pessimist)
    Yes, I am absolutely terrified of it. Contrary to the majority of posts in this thread, I'm not so scared of the pain or the act of dying, it's the fear of the unknown. Sometimes I get really depressed over this and once I start thinking about it, I can't help it. I start envisioning what could happen after death to the point that I tell myself I want to become Christian just to be on the safe side and so that I know that God will always be on my side. I am agnostic because of this. But, yeah back to my original point, the fear of the unknown is what gets me. It sounds stupid but, I wish there was some way of knowing what it will be like, even if I can't do anything about it, maybe I could prepare myself.
    I'd honestly advise you to read the Qur'an.

That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livingstone)
    About what?
    No, sorry, I don't think you understood. That was Jack Sparrow's answer to Davy Jones' Question.

ReputationRep:
    I fear growing old more

ReputationRep:
    I think of death as reaching a state of contentment. It's the reverse of being born, but very similar. Anything you perceive as bad in your life will disappear and you will be stripped of the burden of consciousness. Like going to sleep. All the discontentment, the fears, responsibilities, of adulthood will be lifted. It'll be like being a child again, and then a baby, and finally nothing. A nice full circle. It makes me remember that life is with end and that it'll all come to nothing anyway, so there's not much use taking life too seriously to the point where we are excessively worried or stressed about it all. Just imagine all of your greatest fears about the entire universe being dismantled and the power of reality being switched off. It's like you forgot that life was a game and you laugh at yourself for getting so caught up in it. Yes, all the pleasures of life will go too, but you'll remember them as you die and in death you will not experience their absence. It encourages you to squeeze in as much of the pleasures of life into your experience. Carpe Diem and all that. But within reason; let's not all forget our careers and live with horses in the mountains. That would just be silly.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

ReputationRep:
    I don't fear it, though I'm intrigued as to 'what happens next'. It's difficult to imagine, in some ways.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm 17 and I no longer fear the inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    This is weird but I've always had the thought in the back of my mind that I'm going to die young. I don't even know why. So yes I do fear death. I just can't get my head around how my brain could just stop working and all the thoughts I have disappear and never thinking again. It's really annoying me now thinking about it, oh dear. I don't believe in any sort if afterlife so they probably doesn't help me much, but still I can't imagine being dead and basically just being nothing. I think maybe I just over think it but I can't help it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely. Even the very act of dying - it's not exactly going to be pleasant.

I never bought the idea of an afterlife, I'd love there to be one but I just can't believe in it. So to me death implies an endless darkness, the what some may refer to as the soul ceases to exist and everything just... ends.

That to me is a terrifying thought, when you die everything you've done and experience ceases to mean anything, it doesn't matter any more because you are no longer a living human being, and so cease to feel, experience and enjoy.

I've heard some people say that they find the idea of an eternal afterlife, or more specifically, an eternity itself. I really don't understand this, an eternity means no pressure, you can do what you want without having to worry about running out of time or feel like you're wasting time. A finite lifetime on the other hand really puts the pressure on, to achieve something, to experience things while you have the chance, I don't like that. I often feel like I'm wasting my time and I should be out experiencing things, even though it's these 'things' that I'm not sure I want to be experiencing. I sometimes feel like life's going too fast, and life's too short for me to grow at a rate that I feel comfortable with. This combined with the fact that life is fragile and it could end at any moment, and then that's it; you've had your chance and then it's over, and if you were still alive you'd feel like you'd just wasted it.

So yeah, death ****ing terrifies me. I try not to think about it too much.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I'm absolutely prettified of death, I don't know what'll happen to me, I do believe In life after death and I'm **** scared

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaiDuc)
    No, sorry, I don't think you understood. That was Jack Sparrow's answer to Davy Jones' Question.
    Oh right lol, it's been a while since I've watched them.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of death, but then there's other sides to me which feel that if there is a some kind of "life after death" then I'm intrigued to explore it and hopefully maybe see lost relatives again.

ReputationRep:
    Very much. I feel like I am going to die young, and I am terrified of being murdered or dying painfully. I am also strangely attracted to it. I am deathly morbidly curious. Forever searching up on death related things :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.