Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How close do you believe Messi and Ronaldo are? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    zidane will ejaculate on both of their faces. messi and ronaldo are babies compared to zidane, maradona, pele and fat ronaldo (who by the way are all world cup winners)
    As foolish as it may be to dismiss the views of someone who chose as poetic a name as "TheFlyinBallsack", I am going to.

Tell me more about Pele, have you watched a lot of his games? I doubt it.

Winning the World Cup isn't nearly as big a deal now as it used to be as the best players in the world play in the Champions League - that's what they want to win.

The World Cup argument is one for numskulls who aren't capable of original thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahbaz)
    Ronaldo is a better individual player, while Messi is a good player I would like to see how good he is without service from Xavi and Iniesta....
    xavi, iniesta really? ronaldo has ozil, alonso, di maria

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Authority_Song)
    Messi is definitely better as a pure goalscorer and finisher, but Ronaldo might be slightly better as an all round player. He's just as effective from Striker, Centre-Forward, Winger, Central Attacking Midfielder.

I'm not saying Messi couldn't do it, but he's not as good outside of the Striker/Centre-Forward role as Ronaldo is in my opinion.

Messi is more consistent, scores a few more, but Ronaldo is better at free-kicks and I would probably back him at penalties more than Messi.

Overall if you put a gun to my head I'd say Messi is better, but it really depends on your team and what you want. For example as a Liverpool fan, we have Suarez up front already, and we're terrible in midfield, so (despite the United History and the fact I hate him) I would take Ronaldo on the wings.
    Lolwat. Messi can and has played as a CM, CAM, RW and CF, and has been equally good in all positions. Ronaldo has never played in CAM to my knowledge and is average as a CF. If you think Ronaldo has better free kicks then you need your eyes testing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sucess)
    xavi, iniesta really? ronaldo has ozil, alonso, di maria

Jaw dropping. You could make so many of these videos and never use the same clip twice. I feel sorry for anyone who thinks Ronaldo is better. Playing like Messi is what every young boy should aspire to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Tell me more about Pele, have you watched a lot of his games? I doubt it.
    3 times world cup winner, 1281 goals, and i have seen full match performances from pele on youtube (take a look for urself)

Winning the World Cup isn't nearly as big a deal now as it used to be as the best players in the world play in the Champions League - that's what they want to win.
    i don't care which one is the big deal. messi is ****e for argentina - players like fat zidane and ronaldo proved that they could perform for any team

messi is too scared to leave the "greatest team of all time" - fair enough. but he wasn't even argentinas stand out performer in the last world cup.

zidane 2 world cups: won 1 (frances first ever) and reached the final of the other - france's stand out performer both times (lets not forget he did these things in footballs "golden age", where he was competing with players like fat ronaldo, henry, ronaldinho etc.)

messi 2 world cups: flopped both - not even their stand out performer

u can put zidane in any team and he will guarantee u constant great performances. the same can't be said for messi.. maradona carried napoli to the title at a time defending was an art, whereas messi is just spanking ****ty spanish teams like getafe. maradona also won a world cup and was argentina's stand out performer, these are the signs of great great players, messi is nothing more than a superstar/world class player

ReputationRep:
    Messi runs rings around Ronaldo.

In his prime, even Fat Ronaldo was better than skinny Ronaldo.

However, Messi is simply unequalled.

ReputationRep:
    3 times world cup winner, 1281 goals, and i have seen full match performances from pele on youtube (take a look for urself)

i don't care which one is the big deal. messi is ****e for argentina - players like fat zidane and ronaldo proved that they could perform for any team

messi is too scared to leave the "greatest team of all time" - fair enough. but he wasn't even argentinas stand out performer in the last world cup.

zidane 2 world cups: won 1 (frances first ever) and reached the final of the other - france's stand out performer both times

messi 2 world cups: flopped both - not even their stand out performer
    What are you talking about? France were an absolutely superb team when Zidane won the World Cup with them.

And how is he "too scared" to leave Barcelona? Give me one remotely good reason why he would leave Barcelona. And to prove himself to TheFlyinBallsack isn't a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    ronaldo is better because Messi would die without barcelona

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    ronaldo is better because Messi would die without barcelona
    Wow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VQG)
    Gap between Ronaldo and Iniesta's closer than the Ronaldo-Messi gap.
    Agree with this but that's more of a testament to Iniesta.

As individuals, there's not much between them. On a football pitch, Messi is clearly better than Ronaldo.

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? France were an absolutely superb team when Zidane won the World Cup with them.
    correct, but he was still their stand out player and scored the 2 goals that ultimately won them the cup (interesting stat: zidane has scored the most world cup final goals in history)

u cannot compete with a performance like this

and what about 2006? that france team were tired and full of players past their prime (henry, viera, thuram etc.). they BARELY qualified for that world cup, then zidane comes out of retirement out of nowhere and all of a sudden they're world cup finalists. it was a 1-man show.

france 1998 with zidane: win the world cup
    france 2002 without zidane: fail to score a single goal
    france 2006 with zidane: world cup finalists
    france 2010 without zidane: fail to get past group stages

he won everything personal honour and title (club+country). he proved himself in italy, spain, europe (champions league) and to the world (world cup), what more does a man have to do?

And how is he "too scared" to leave Barcelona? Give me one remotely good reason why he would leave Barcelona. And to prove himself to TheFlyinBallsack isn't a good reason.
    fair enough, but what i'm saying is if u are going to stick to 1 club u need to at least prove that u can play with a different set of players (i.e. prove urself internationally too)

tevez outshone messi in the last world cup. and for a player who is nothing more than a stat machine - failing to register a single goal in the world cup is an embarrassment

ReputationRep:
    a player who is nothing more than a stat machine
    And now everyone knows you're stupid.

ReputationRep:
    correct, but he was still their stand out player and scored the 2 goals that ultimately won them the cup (interesting stat: zidane has scored the most world cup final goals in history)

u cannot compete with a performance like this

and what about 2006? that france team were tired and full of players past their prime (henry, viera, thuram etc.). they BARELY qualified for that world cup, then zidane comes out of retirement out of nowhere and all of a sudden they're world cup finalists. it was a 1-man show.

france 1998 with zidane: win the world cup
    france 2002 without zidane: fail to score a single goal
    france 2006 with zidane: world cup finalists
    france 2010 without zidane: fail to get past group stages

he won everything personal honour and title (club+country). he proved himself in italy, spain, europe (champions league) and to the world (world cup), what more does a man have to do?

fair enough, but what i'm saying is if u are going to stick to 1 club u need to at least prove that u can play with a different set of players (i.e. prove urself internationally too)

tevez outshone messi in the last world cup. and for a player who is nothing more than a stat machine - failing to register a single goal in the world cup is an embarrassment
    At the last World Cup, Messi was playing in a team managed by a lunatic - a lunatic that had Gutierrez at right back. You cannot possibly compare the Argentina team at the last World Cup to some of the classic Brazil sides. Well, that's not true, you can compare them and see Argentina were terrible.

What about players like Giggs? 1 club, done nothing internationally. Just because Argentina have been good in the past doesn't mean they are always going to be good.

Every argument you put forward is so basic and small minded.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I like it when a poster is aptly named.

ReputationRep:
    bloody hell some of you go on like messi is twice the player ronaldo is, there is 5% at best between the 2, and yes I seriously think on current form ronaldo is playing better than messi atm. What...

ReputationRep:
    Messi has more natural talent, there is no doubt about that. I think the title of the world's best player has shifted between them a few times this season, but Ronaldo is currently better IMO. He has been instrumental in Madrid's CL campaign.

ReputationRep:
    Messi's way of playing football is beautiful, he doesn't plan any tricks or power runs, when he takes a gazillion people on he does with grace rather than ploughing through them like some machine. Messi's intentions are to just play football, Ronaldo tries to showcase his love and in doing so his game feels pre-planned and rigid ( that's the best i can describe it ), however messi is far more fluid and improvises on the spot by assessing the situation he is in and taking into account where his teammates are and then executing through natural instinct, not to sound cheesy or anything but he's the closest ever to being "one" with the ball. Both are amazing, Ronaldo could have been the best in any era, but not in this one...

P.s- I sincerely hope someone better comes around in our lifetimes (and i think someone will), because its amazing just watching someone like messi play football...

ReputationRep:
    How can you say ronaldo isnt consistent? He has 50 goals in 48 appearances and 11 goals in the champions league. Messi has the team built around him whereas ronaldo has to thrive on his own at real madrid. And the quality that messi has up front with him (sanchez and villa) is far superior to ronaldo having benzema/higuain and di maria

ReputationRep:
    thing is he'll lose the ball 20 times before he goes on a successful run (messi)

last year this happened which caused ramires to score (missed a penalty too) and eventually knock barca out of the competition. this also happened in the very first el classico of the season (TWICE) which ended up with them losing the cup

things like this get overlooked too often. when i watch messi play i do not sit and think "wow, this is the greatest player to ever live". he looks very average when playing with the other barca players (they're all good)

ReputationRep:
    Prime example of how lucky messi is: with the spanish team (mostly barcelona players) fernando torres was top scorer at the euros...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.