Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why isn't metal popular? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You cannot possibly compare metal and classical music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeppy)
    Because hiphop is better even justin bieber is better than any dustbing lid banging group of idiots.
    Thick *******.

ReputationRep:
    Because metal is too diverse and too inaccessible for the average person to even know what it is, let alone appreciate it.

If I thought that Slipknot and Linkin Park were archetypal metal, I'd hate it too.

ReputationRep:
    As much as I enjoy listening to metal, I do have boundaries as to what I consider to be "metal", by this I mean there are bands which I personally do not consider to be metal e.g. Black Veil Brides, which appear too "pop-rocky" in my liking to be metal. Likewise, on the other end of the scale, most people today tend to get the idea that metal consists of bands trying to scream or shout as much as they can, which is not what "metal" is. A perfect definition of metal from my perspective is a band like Iron Maiden.

ReputationRep:

this is emotionally moving....

metal, I think not.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Skeppy)
    Because hiphop is better even justin bieber is better than any dustbing lid banging group of idiots.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    dustbin lid banging LMFAO

:rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Because it isn't to most peoples tastes. I've grown out of the majority of the small amount of metal I used to listen to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thugnificent.)
    this is emotionally moving....

metal, I think not.
    Metal can be just as emotionally moving as anything else can be. Sure, most of the focus is towards, anger, hatred, grief, depression etc. but they are still emotions.

ReputationRep:
    Would you guys consider Guns n Roses metal ?

ReputationRep:
    My idea of good atmospheric metal.

ReputationRep:
    Because Dubstep was invented

that's why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rezzo)
    Metal can be just as emotionally moving as anything else can be. Sure, most of the focus is towards, anger, hatred, grief, depression etc. but they are still emotions.
    can you show me some links??

ReputationRep:
    Read the lyrics in this one - so deep and yet so easily overlooked. There's such a huge level of profundity that comes out in metal songs when people care to dig deep enough.
    This is just one example, there's thousands more like this, but this is the first one that came to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Slayer - Angel of Death - one of the most intense songs I've ever heard. Paved the way for a lot of subgenres of extreme metal
    Symphony X - Paradise Lost - progressive metal song which has completely different styles to its name than Slayer do.

Also, a lot of Metalcore artists flood their songs with emotion. Emotion I find to be contradictory to most other forms of metal, but it's still worth mentioning.

ReputationRep:
    As many people on this thread have previously stated, metal is hugely popular in the UK. I mean come on, Download Festival?! But anyway, there's a few really good and popular bands from around my area like Heart of a Coward and Fellsilent, but aside from them and a few others, the scene is full of bands that churn out the most shoddily produced, disgusting breed of metal. Some of the stuff I've heard makes me want to eat a grenade. And I'm assuming a lot of places in the UK are like this, so people not too familiar with the genre may be quick to make a sweeping generalisation of metal.
    I played a headline gig last year in a place called March in Cambridgeshire, and there was a duo on earlier in the day. One played guitar and the other 'sung'. They did a metal rendition of Someone Like You by Adele and I swear to god my ****ing ears wept tears of blood.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I used to be a metalhead but I've kind of gone off it lately. I guess the main thing that changed was that I started to find it all a bit too cheesy.

You praised metal for its "complexity", something I used to hear a lot of, but complexity is pretty much irrelevant to whether or not the music actually sounds good. If you can do a guitar solo for three minutes straight, well that's great, but I can only sit through it so many times before I'm just going to find it tedious and switch over (looking at you Dream Theater).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    I used to be a metalhead but I've kind of gone off it lately. I guess the main thing that changed was that I started to find it all a bit too cheesy.

You praised metal for its "complexity", something I used to hear a lot of, but complexity is pretty much irrelevant to whether or not the music actually sounds good. If you can do a guitar solo for three minutes straight, well that's great, but I can only sit through it so many times before I'm just going to find it tedious and switch over (looking at you Dream Theater).
    That doesn't apply to all metal bands - Dream Theater are definitely an exception. Plus, they're classed primarily as Progressive metal, a whole new genre altogether.
    If you've ever listened to a band called Alter Bridge before, you'd hear that they've got just the right balance between virtuosity and the necessary melodic and harmonic hooks to attract their huge fanbase.
    It also depends on your personal preferences; some may like the long solos and complex structures of prog metal songs, while others such as yourself prefer that the song simply sounds good regardless of how complex it is. Neither are right or wrong, it's just down to your individual tastes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CipherOfHate)
    That doesn't apply to all metal bands - Dream Theater are definitely an exception. Plus, they're classed primarily as Progressive metal, a whole new genre altogether.
    If you've ever listened to a band called Alter Bridge before, you'd hear that they've got just the right balance between virtuosity and the necessary melodic and harmonic hooks to attract their huge fanbase.
    It also depends on your personal preferences; some may like the long solos and complex structures of prog metal songs, while others such as yourself prefer that the song simply sounds good regardless of how complex it is. Neither are right or wrong, it's just down to your individual tastes.
    Yes, I know about progressive metal, it used to be one of my favourite genres.

Dream Theater are good, don't get me wrong, I have 6 of their albums. It's just that I've reached a point where I have no desire to get any more. Likewise I can definitely appreciate a good guitar solo, but it doesn't excite me like it used to. I've heard the odd newer metal track, and some are very good, but all in all I feel like metal as a whole has lost its appeal for me.

I know it's an extremely broad "umbrella" genre, but a lot of my old favourite sub-genres - power metal, progressive metal, melodic death metal, doom metal and so on - just don't captivate me much any more despite their diversity. It's weird, because I can remember absolutely adoring all this stuff a few years ago and thinking some of the stuff I listen to now is mediocre by comparison, but now it's like my brain just responds to a different kind of music.

ReputationRep:
    It's not directly stimulating.
    I.e it's not got a super catchy tune with a single key change and repeated chords.

This type of music is very easy to listen to, metal, much like classic, can take effort - at least when you're first listening to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    Yes, I know about progressive metal, it used to be one of my favourite genres.

Dream Theater are good, don't get me wrong, I have 6 of their albums. It's just that I've reached a point where I have no desire to get any more. Likewise I can definitely appreciate a good guitar solo, but it doesn't excite me like it used to. I've heard the odd newer metal track, and some are very good, but all in all I feel like metal as a whole has lost its appeal for me.

I know it's an extremely broad "umbrella" genre, but a lot of my old favourite sub-genres - power metal, progressive metal, melodic death metal, doom metal and so on - just don't captivate me much any more despite their diversity. It's weird, because I can remember absolutely adoring all this stuff a few years ago and thinking some of the stuff I listen to now is mediocre by comparison, but now it's like my brain just responds to a different kind of music.
    What sort of stuff do you listen to now then?

My music tastes have changed a lot recently too. I used to be completely one-dimensional, listening only to bands like Metallica for years, but now I've started listening to a lot of jazz and blues-influenced rock like ZZ Top and Black Stone Cherry. Primarily, though, metal is still my favourite genre cause I think there's a distinct profundity you can't really find anywhere else. I'm a music student so I tend to over-analyse music anyway, but I never lose interest in songs because I can take them apart in my mind and focus on different sections/instruments every time I listen to them. I think a lot of people don't have the patience to do that, which is why metal isn't as popular commercially as simpler genres like pop and hip-hop.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.