Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieboo94)
    Tawney towers for me. How do you find out your room and stuff? I think Im the only person that doesnt know ha :')
    Your not alone haha, I have no clue either. I applied for the Meadows, they are new apparently, did anyone else get or applied for that accommodation ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emeraldeyes)
    Hi guys !!

I'm a first year at the moment living in south courts and I would defo recommend it. I live in Harwich court which is the big circle one so it's no where near as quite as people make out .. there is a social life here don't worry .. however I have heard that some of the other courts are quieter but it depends what you need tbh. Towers is definitely party central from what I've heard however anyone having any doubts about sharing bathrooms.... spend that bit more for south courts or the houses as I have heard they can be dirty. The houses I would say are the quietest on campus as I have never heard any noise there when walking near it however I haven't been at pre drinks there or anything and finally Quays?? That walk is a lot longer that you think !!!!! Any questions about any other aspects of Essex I'll be happy to answer I'm studying law, originally from Ireland so know what's like to be away from home and living in south courts. I 'll also be living in Rowhedge Court next year if any of you get sorted there
    How far away are the quays from square 1? I'm starting to regret choosing them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emeraldeyes)
    Hi guys !!

I'm a first year at the moment living in south courts and I would defo recommend it. I live in Harwich court which is the big circle one so it's no where near as quite as people make out .. there is a social life here don't worry .. however I have heard that some of the other courts are quieter but it depends what you need tbh. Towers is definitely party central from what I've heard however anyone having any doubts about sharing bathrooms.... spend that bit more for south courts or the houses as I have heard they can be dirty. The houses I would say are the quietest on campus as I have never heard any noise there when walking near it however I haven't been at pre drinks there or anything and finally Quays?? That walk is a lot longer that you think !!!!! Any questions about any other aspects of Essex I'll be happy to answer I'm studying law, originally from Ireland so know what's like to be away from home and living in south courts. I 'll also be living in Rowhedge Court next year if any of you get sorted there
    Perfect, I'm moving into Harwich Court this year I'm just wondering, please can you explain the system of like flats and floors? Everyone has a room listed like a number and then a slash sign and a letter, like 4.5/A as an example, but I don't really understand what this means. And I don't know the difference between people in your flat and people in your court in general; is everyone in your 'court' sharing with you/your neighbour? I've never been all that social, so I'm not worried about not having a social life; just a nice circle of friends that I can get to know would suit me just fine.

Is Rowhedge Court one of the South courts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ire)
    hey!! Essex was my insurance and I'm afraid i didn't sign up for accommodation quickly, here's to hoping i get something soon (stupid i know not to apply on both firm and insurance) but anyways I'm doing Biomedical Science as well, so the poster and i might be lab mates!!!! and hoping i get a personal shower and toilet.....cringe at the thought of sharing after living with 2 brothers but whayyy!!!!! Essex!

tbh i only went to the Essex open day and stuff didn't bother with firm guess i loved Essex more...oh and the amazing sausages on site too :cool: (no innuendo implied you dirty dirty perverts )
    Haha yup we might be! Apply to the courts if u want ur own bathroom! Add me on Facebook if u want, I need essex friends! My name is Shannon rose Kelly

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm akin Harwich 10.3/F. Any roommates around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mollymod)
    Perfect, I'm moving into Harwich Court this year I'm just wondering, please can you explain the system of like flats and floors? Everyone has a room listed like a number and then a slash sign and a letter, like 4.5/A as an example, but I don't really understand what this means. And I don't know the difference between people in your flat and people in your court in general; is everyone in your 'court' sharing with you/your neighbour? I've never been all that social, so I'm not worried about not having a social life; just a nice circle of friends that I can get to know would suit me just fine.

Is Rowhedge Court one of the South courts?
    4.5/A I think means building 4, flat 5, room A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Debbie)
    4.5/A I think means building 4, flat 5, room A
    My room is 10.2/B

So 'building' 10, flat 2, room B?

ReputationRep:
    My room is 10.2/B

So 'building' 10, flat 2, room B?
    Yep. I should think so. We're in the same building, flats next to each other lol. I'm in 10.3/F

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I should think so. We're in the same building, flats next to each other lol. I'm in 10.3/F
    See you there then
    Excited?

ReputationRep:
    See you there then
    Excited?
    Lol a bit. I don't think it's real for me yet. Sooner to the day then I'll be filled with anxiety hahaa

ReputationRep:
    How do we know if our tenancy extends to holidays?
    My contract says it lasts between 29th September and 28th June, does this include holidays too?
    I just want to know if I have to move out all of my stuff every 3 months or whether I can do it bits and pieces over the year

and do 2nd/3rd years come to Fresher events - like evening ones? (People that aren't in the SU too) or is it exclusively first years

ReputationRep:
    I went for South Courts... But reading through, the towers sound a popular choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlie leonard)
    I went for South Courts... But reading through, the towers sound a popular choice
    Towers are apparently party-central, while South Courts are slightly quieter but you still have a social life, which is why I went for South Courts. Which court are you in?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Eddington flat 13! Anyone else?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Confused_com)
    Harwich court 13.1 E, where's everyone else?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in Harwich court 12.2 D. Does that make us kind of neighbours? This number and lettering system is getting the better of me!

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Eddington towers, flat 13, room 13!

ReputationRep:
    How do we know if our tenancy extends to holidays?
    My contract says it lasts between 29th September and 28th June, does this include holidays too?
    I just want to know if I have to move out all of my stuff every 3 months or whether I can do it bits and pieces over the year

and do 2nd/3rd years come to Fresher events - like evening ones? (People that aren't in the SU too) or is it exclusively first years
    Your tenancy does extend over the holidays, so Christmas, Easter and for some of the Summer (until your tenancy expires). That was how it was last year anyway.

Also, yes 2nd and 3rd years can go to fresher events. I think the freshers events are just for students only, it would make sense anyway to do it like that. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that. Could always ask their facebook page or tweet them I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SD1490)
    Your tenancy does extend over the holidays, so Christmas, Easter and for some of the Summer (until your tenancy expires). That was how it was last year anyway.

Also, yes 2nd and 3rd years can go to fresher events. I think the freshers events are just for students only, it would make sense anyway to do it like that. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong on that. Could always ask their facebook page or tweet them I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Was just curious And thanks yeah, I just wanted to know if I'd need to remove everything when going back home for Christmas etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fantana)
    I'm in Harwich court 12.2 D. Does that make us kind of neighbours? This number and lettering system is getting the better of me!
    I think it means our houses are next door to each other

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lol a bit. I don't think it's real for me yet. Sooner to the day then I'll be filled with anxiety hahaa
    so glad im not the only one haha

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 28, 2013
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.