Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    X61 - They were about £800-1200 new when I bought it. Got a real bargain.
    That is crazy! Very lucky!

(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
    Well for starters, anybody with a Thinkpad has instant respect from me. Cannot say that for almost all other laptop models.

EDIT: Cheapest brand new L-Series of Lenovo GB starts from £549.

However there are some Edge series going for around the 350-400 mark on eBay, with second generation i3:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOXED-L420...item1c32322213

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Thi...item48524528bc
    Thanks for that The reason I'm sort of discounting the Edge series is not because of specs or build quality or anything, I'm sure they're just as good, but more the fact that you can't get an extended life/long life battery for the Edge laptops Which is a biggie for me (or will be in the future).

ReputationRep:
    Around 8 hrs per day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deja Vu)
    That's so cheap for a Thinkpad (unless it's a Thinkpad Edge?) I really want a Thinkpad for when I do my PGCE but the "proper" Thinkpads are like £800+

I would love to get one new for £450! Any advice?
    Me too. I think you can get a proper thinkpad for about 550 with an i3 and 4gb ram, from their website. I think it's the T series

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    Technically its always on, it "awakens" when I open it up though and then I use it for an hour or so before I got to bed. My computer on the other hand is constantly on and doing things!

ReputationRep:
    My netbook has now been on for about 2 years as I use it as a mini home server for files. Obviously it's had the odd restart etc

(Original post by themightysals)
    Technically its always on, it "awakens" when I open it up though and then I use it for an hour or so before I got to bed. My computer on the other hand is constantly on and doing things!
    Such as...? Lol

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    My netbook has now been on for about 2 years as I use it as a mini home server for files. Obviously it's had the odd restart etc

Such as...? Lol

hacking CIA databases and creating embezzlement schemes...

ahah, installing, copying and moving round files and rendering, it takes painfully long so I just leave it over night!

ReputationRep:
    averagely 8-10 hours a day. my laptop battery pack had worn out within 2 years. daily use for net, revision, class and gaming.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Jodie_668)
    I'm guessing none of you are into being very Eco-friendly? :P
    I have mine of for about 3 hours a day max.
    Most of us here, need to use the laptop for more than three hours

ReputationRep:
    During university, it's pretty much awake whenever I am... So probably about 15 hours. I usually just put it to sleep at night, as opposed to turning it off.

During the summer holidays, it'll be lucky if it's turned on for more than 30 minutes a day.

ReputationRep:
    Between 10 to 12 hours.................damn......

ReputationRep:
    I shut mine down every night and put it in sleep modus whenever I'm not using it - so depending on whether I'm doing coursework or whatever I think it's on anywhere between 1 and 8 hours a day, probably around 5 hours on average.

ReputationRep:
    more than you're supposed to :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    about 6 or 7 hours, and never turn it off just shut the lid

ReputationRep:
    At the moment 16 hours.

ReputationRep:
    Laptops are for waste men. I have a computer its on when im using it and off when im not.

ReputationRep:
    I just put mine to sleep when I sleep and other than that I'm using it.

It's just habit at this point, I had a Dell that if I turned it off it wouldn't have turned back on again, but since I got my Macbook Pro I've gotten a bit better, but yeah - I'm on it every moment I can be, I am productive, honest!

ReputationRep:
    Most of the day. I leave it plugged into the mains (have done for the last 2.5 years) so now when I run it from the battery it dies after about 2 hours

ReputationRep:
    It's on all the time every day, apart from when I sleep or go out (I just close the lid though, don't turn it off)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imjustrach)
    I just put mine to sleep when I sleep and other than that I'm using it.

It's just habit at this point, I had a Dell that if I turned it off it wouldn't have turned back on again, but since I got my Macbook Pro I've gotten a bit better, but yeah - I'm on it every moment I can be, I am productive, honest!
    MacBooks are designed to keep running, so you don't need to turn it off like with Windows. I never shut down my MacBook

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    MacBooks are designed to keep running, so you don't need to turn it off like with Windows. I never shut down my MacBook
    I never shut mine down either

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.