The Student Room Group

Which are the best Universities for Maths?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _JC95
right haha, also does anyone know if when applying to Oxbridge through UCAS in October, do you also apply for your other 4 Universities at the same time as that application, or are they sent off in January when everyone else applies for non-Oxbridge Universities?

You can decide to just send off for Oxbridge first though :smile: Then decide the others later on (sending off by january) Talk to your UCAS person at school :3
Reply 41
Trying to choose between Nottingham and Sheffield. I know Nottingham is ranked higher for maths. I was leaning toward sheffield, but based on the city. The course and universities are both equally appealilng to me. Only thing is, I'm worried Nottingham will make it more likely to get a better graduate job and give me more opportunities. Like I hear some employers try to recruit specifically from certain unis and Nottingham would be more likely than Sheffield. If that's the case, I guess it would be better to go for Nottingham over the chance that I'd prefer Sheffield? Would appreciate some help :s-smilie:
Reply 42
Original post by Aeyuin
Trying to choose between Nottingham and Sheffield. I know Nottingham is ranked higher for maths. I was leaning toward sheffield, but based on the city. The course and universities are both equally appealilng to me. Only thing is, I'm worried Nottingham will make it more likely to get a better graduate job and give me more opportunities. Like I hear some employers try to recruit specifically from certain unis and Nottingham would be more likely than Sheffield. If that's the case, I guess it would be better to go for Nottingham over the chance that I'd prefer Sheffield? Would appreciate some help :s-smilie:

Anyone? :s-smilie:
Manchester is also a very good place to study maths (frequently underrated and not mentioned on TSR, where everything revolves around how likely such and such a uni is to get you into IB). It's a huge department, very active in research with a very large number of options once you get to 3rd and 4th year (and even in 2nd year). I strongly recommend you check it out:

http://www.maths.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/ugstudies/units/index.html

Quick Reply

Latest