Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessy313)
    also doing aeneid and annals, so difficult! thank god for last year. Can anyone tell me what I need to get this year to get an a overall? I got 190/200 last year.. thanks
    You will need to get 130 UMS this year to get an A, well I think so anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma2013)
    I'm taking the AS lang paper on friday!

Right... a variety of my practice essays: (if my uploads work!)

This is a Sallust essay, got 21/25. As you can see it's not actually that long, so if you're worried about time this should be reassuring!

Page 1 Attachment 218072 Page 2 Attachment 218074

This is a Virgil essay, got 22/25. Again, only 2 sides, you just need to make sure you're really concise and refer directly to the text

Page 1 Attachment 218076 Page 2 Attachment 218077

If anyone finds this useful, I'd be happy to upload any more
    Sorry quality's not great x
    Wow, you're a star. Thank you so much. I'm absolutely bricking it for the exam on the 17th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmygosh)
    You will need to get 130 UMS this year to get an A, well I think so anyway.
    oh ok thanks I wonder how much that'll be in this paper without UMS... so difficult!

ReputationRep:
    oh ok thanks I wonder how much that'll be in this paper without UMS... so difficult!
    I know! I'm so worried about these exams. here are the raw mark UMS conversions for the June 2012 latin A2 exams: verse was 69/100 for an A 61/100 for a B 53/100 for a C. prose was 72/100 for an A 63/100 for a B 54/100 for a C. it isn't actually too bad but then the marking is often quite harsh for latin I find.

ReputationRep:
    I know! I'm so worried about these exams. here are the raw mark UMS conversions for the June 2012 latin A2 exams: verse was 69/100 for an A 61/100 for a B 53/100 for a C. prose was 72/100 for an A 63/100 for a B 54/100 for a C. it isn't actually too bad but then the marking is often quite harsh for latin I find.
    ok that's not too awful but as you say it's marked harshly. I'm just trying to work out what I'd need in each paper given what I got last year and UMS if you know what I mean..

ReputationRep:
    ok that's not too awful but as you say it's marked harshly. I'm just trying to work out what I'd need in each paper given what I got last year and UMS if you know what I mean..
    well you need 130 UMS points this year so average of 65 UMS on each paper this year so looking at the grade boundaries you would need to get around just over 50/100 raw marks on each paper so just over 50%, you should be fine. I need to get As on both sadly.

ReputationRep:
    well you need 130 UMS points this year so average of 65 UMS on each paper this year so looking at the grade boundaries you would need to get around just over 50/100 raw marks on each paper so just over 50%, you should be fine. I need to get As on both sadly.
    I'm sure it'll be ok (I hope!), seeing as everyone seems to find it so difficult!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=jessy313;42985494]I'm sure it'll be ok (I hope!), seeing as everyone seems to find it so difficult![/QUOTE

let's hope so, good luck with it

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it'll be ok (I hope!), seeing as everyone seems to find it so difficult!
    Very hard! However the verse should be a lot better than the prose, so I'm hoping to gain a few more UMS in that exam

ReputationRep:
    I need to get As on both sadly.
    Ditto I need an A in latin to make my offer and I'm only 1 UMS over the boundary at the moment so need to do well in both unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    does anyone doing Aeneid 1-299 and Tacitus annals have any predictions about what passages might come up?
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma2013)
    Ditto I need an A in latin to make my offer and I'm only 1 UMS over the boundary at the moment so need to do well in both unfortunately
    well we are in exactly the same boat then, good luck I really hope it works out for us both

ReputationRep:
    also doing aeneid and annals, so difficult! thank god for last year. Can anyone tell me what I need to get this year to get an a overall? I got 190/200 last year.. thanks
    you need 320 UMS to get an A, so you will need to get 130 out of 200 this year, which is an average of 65%, a mid C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyte12)
    Yay! I'm so glad to find some other people out there taking latin A2! I'm doing Aeneid 4 and Annals 15. One thing I'm unsure about on the essay front (a part from the ridiculously small amounts of time you get to write it) is quoting, specifically for the general essays - do you quote in latin from passages not given in the question paper or just paraphrase the English? Thanks for any advice!
    You can quote in the general essay, but mostly they are testing your knowledge, so paraphrase the English and stick as much knowledge of the passage in as you can - really show off that you know the text. Also, how are you finding the Tacitus? Personally he makes me want to shoot myself in the face - SO obscure and difficult to find style points for!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joereed)
    I'm glad to find someone who does the same set texts as me! Thoughts on the Tacitus?
    I'm doing the Tacitus too - I hate it so much! Does anybody on here have any practice essays for Tacitus that they wouldn't mind uploading - I find him so obscure and difficult to find points for

ReputationRep:
    Wow just found this thread! I am also doing Tacitus (popular!) and Propertius. Bets on the Christians passage coming up, or the big description of the fire. Anyone doing Propertius? I find him absolutely mind-numbing but fairly straightforward. I actually like Tacitus but I admit there's always a chance of getting a style passage that doesn't have great content! Honestly glad we don't have to translate this year. How's everyone on scansion?

I'm more worried about the prose to be honest. Like someone else on this thread I need about 65 UMS in both of mine for an A. I'm aiming for an A* but I'm not expecting it to happen. I've got 10 days free before this exam so it's just purely verse revision 'til the 17th now. Sticking round here for some motivation (and procrastination probably).

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm doing Virgil and Tacitus too. Anyone else finding the Livy unseens tricky?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ancientmodern)
    Hey, I'm doing Virgil and Tacitus too. Anyone else finding the Livy unseens tricky?
    tricky...?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Livy makes me want to die. Slowly.

ReputationRep:
    I have virtually no stylistic points on Book IV of the Aeneid, someone please help me! especially on the main passages, Anna's speech, the hunt, rumour, Iarbas, Aeneas leaving, speeches with Juno and Venus. anything at all would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I'm sorry this is a bit off topic in the middle of your exam revision (good luck by the way) but I am trying to decide whether to do Sallust or Tacitus for A2. I am wondering whether anyone who's done either could briefly summarise what they view as the key pros and cons of the author they are doing, and or say any resources or books they found (or are finding) useful. Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.