and my Bent-Over Rows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-SGlTIfTuo

Thanks
    also no homo but you have an aesthetic face

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tony Stark)
    Could anyone advise me on how to improve my squat form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Womre3iZtpY
    You're not quite hitting parallel and it looks like your back is rounding a bit at the bottom. It's hard to tell but I think you might have the bar on your neck rather than traps also?

and my Bent-Over Rows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-SGlTIfTuo

Thanks
    Bent-over rows are rather hard to form check since there is no absolutely correct form. Being more upright basically means there is much more trap involvement. As long as you keep your torso at the same angle all the time and ensure you touch your abdomen with the bar on each rep you're fine - just ensure you don't slowly stand more and more upright as the weight gets heavier since this is what you will naturally want to do!

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone advise me on how to improve my squat form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Womre3iZtpY
    If possible I would get different non cushioned shoes. Converse type shoes are pretty cheap but I have a personal preference for weightlifting shoes.

In technical terms it's not bad but it'd look better if you pushed your knees out more on the descent. It'd also probably help if you let your knees come a bit further forward while staying more upright.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    also no homo but you have an aesthetic face
    (Original post by Implication)
    You're not quite hitting parallel and it looks like your back is rounding a bit at the bottom. It's hard to tell but I think you might have the bar on your neck rather than traps also?

Bent-over rows are rather hard to form check since there is no absolutely correct form. Being more upright basically means there is much more trap involvement. As long as you keep your torso at the same angle all the time and ensure you touch your abdomen with the bar on each rep you're fine - just ensure you don't slowly stand more and more upright as the weight gets heavier since this is what you will naturally want to do!
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    If possible I would get different non cushioned shoes. Converse type shoes are pretty cheap but I have a personal preference for weightlifting shoes.

In technical terms it's not bad but it'd look better if you pushed your knees out more on the descent. It'd also probably help if you let your knees come a bit further forward while staying more upright.
    Sorry never replied to say thanks

ReputationRep:
    I posted a video of me doing squats a few months back and I think I've improved a bit. BUT, I'm doing squats now and I'm suffering from some lower right back pain, not sure why because it doesn't look like I'm doing anything particularly wrong like leaning over?

A video of me doing a set of 60kg squats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNos...eature=mh_lolz

Apologies for the video angle changing at the end.

Any help would be great guys, I really want to get to the bottom of this

I haven't got any converse but may get some in the summer for squats, a pair of loafers, Chelsea suedes, and winter boots are higher up the priority list atm

ReputationRep:
    ^Looks good to me, depth better than before too (though it's hard to judge due to the angles). Are you sure it's the squats causing the back pain? Would be good to get some footage that includes your knees/toes I guess, and maybe one from front/behind in case you're twisting somehow... maybe someone who knows what they're talking about more will have some input

Incidentally loafers are pretty good for squatting if they have decent grip because they usually have a bit of a heel.. whether you wear them will depend on how brave you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    ^Looks good to me, depth better than before too (though it's hard to judge due to the angles). Are you sure it's the squats causing the back pain? Would be good to get some footage that includes your knees/toes I guess, and maybe one from front/behind in case you're twisting somehow... maybe someone who knows what they're talking about more will have some input

Incidentally loafers are pretty good for squatting if they have decent grip because they usually have a bit of a heel.. whether you wear them will depend on how brave you are
    I think it's the squats causing it since I started off with them on the day and only started feeling it in my back after my 2nd or 3rd proper set. I'll try getting a video later on in the week with better angles.

I actually have tried wearing loafers in the gym a while ago (because I didnt have time to get my gym shoes not because I wanted to look good haha), couldnt remember if I noticed a difference I was so clueless

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I have been eyeing this thread for quite some time and thought hell yeah, why not post a form check for my deadlifts! Please not that this was me training pretty much 100% fasted ; took BCAA's to compensate for fasted training as well as Creatine Monohydrate.

Here's the lift- I stopped at the 4th rep because I was feeling lower back pains AND it was the 2nd set for 150 x 5 - my friend recorded the first set but my phone glitched out! Chee-yars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_MY...ature=youtu.be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrewruss)
    Hey there, I have been eyeing this thread for quite some time and thought hell yeah, why not post a form check for my deadlifts! Please not that this was me training pretty much 100% fasted ; took BCAA's to compensate for fasted training as well as Creatine Monohydrate.

Here's the lift- I stopped at the 4th rep because I was feeling lower back pains AND it was the 2nd set for 150 x 5 - my friend recorded the first set but my phone glitched out! Chee-yars!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_MY...ature=youtu.be
    Start with your hips higher but maintain an arch. You have about 3-4" of movement at the start where you're not actually doing anything apart from moving into the correct position to start the pull.

You also round as the bar passes your knees. This is probably bad. Keeping your chest up should correct this.

Squeeze your glutes and hammies to lock out rather than crowbaring with your back. This will make your lockout stronger.

Take my advice with a pinch of salt however. I am one of the worst deadlifters on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    Start with your hips higher but maintain an arch. You have about 3-4" of movement at the start where you're not actually doing anything apart from moving into the correct position to start the pull.

You also round as the bar passes your knees. This is probably bad. Keeping your chest up should correct this.

Squeeze your glutes and hammies to lock out rather than crowbaring with your back. This will make your lockout stronger.

Take my advice with a pinch of salt however. I am one of the worst deadlifters on the planet.
    The 150 x 5 set I did before this was a lot cleaner than this, but thanks for the heads up- I think I allow the bar to go forwards a bit on heavier weights meaning it encourages me to away from the line which centre of gravity works. Ideally, this line is found around the middle of the foot when deadlifting. Need dat lat and trap strength to keep tighter!
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer

I was doing some technique training concentrating on breathing, hence the slightly exaggerated inhales, it was my 4th set of it having done some much heavier touch and go. Any comments appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)

I was doing some technique training concentrating on breathing, hence the slightly exaggerated inhales, it was my 4th set of it having done some much heavier touch and go. Any comments appreciated.
    Dunno how you set up but if you want to arch more then Sheiko's guide helped me:http://sheiko-program.ru/training-pr...ercises-photos
    He uses pics to explain what he means when his English fails him so there's a lot, go to the bottom

That's a hell of a long pause, if you're training for comp pressing then I'd shorten it and get in the habit of waiting before you rack

After watching your legs enough to feel weird about it, I can't see any sign of leg drive, doesn't mean you don't have any though. There is a rep where you seem to re-arrange your feet at the bottom, if you must then do it at the top, even that little shuffle will cost you tightness

Your wrists don't look like they are at a happy angle, that could be asking for aggravation

You press a bit high on your chest, you might want to try going lower. It'd give you more of an arched bar path which changes which muscle works when and how much a bit. If it's a good thing is individual. Same for grip width, you might want to try wider.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    Thanks for the comments

(Original post by BKS)
    Dunno how you set up but if you want to arch more then Sheiko's guide helped me:http://sheiko-program.ru/training-pr...ercises-photos
    He uses pics to explain what he means when his English fails him so there's a lot, go to the bottom
    Will have a look at this thanks

That's a hell of a long pause, if you're training for comp pressing then I'd shorten it and get in the habit of waiting before you rack
    This was a bit of fun at the end of a session as there was just 2 of us in the gym, I usually do touch and go. I think I'll start doing 1 second pauses, which I think is comp length?

After watching your legs enough to feel weird about it, I can't see any sign of leg drive, doesn't mean you don't have any though. There is a rep where you seem to re-arrange your feet at the bottom, if you must then do it at the top, even that little shuffle will cost you tightness
    Yes agreed, I did shuffle my feet as they weren't far enough back meaning I felt nothing. I'm working on getting some drive, but I'm slightly hampered where I can get my legs to due a knee injury atm. This confirms that I need to work on driving my feet into the ground more though.

Your wrists don't look like they are at a happy angle, that could be asking for aggravation

You press a bit high on your chest, you might want to try going lower. It'd give you more of an arched bar path which changes which muscle works when and how much a bit. If it's a good thing is individual. Same for grip width, you might want to try wider.
    These 2 things might be linked?

I will try wider and get a vid. Again I spent my Easter holidays changing where I touch the bar too, I was pressing to well under my nipple line, now I'm above it.. again I think you're right... I'll try and get the bar across my nipple line.

Thank you very much, lots to work on!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'll start doing 1 second pauses, which I think is comp length?
    IPF has no official rule on pause length, weirdly. You will see pauses that look longer because it needs to be totally steady and dead stop but generally a brisk 2 count.

These 2 things might be linked?
    No I just thought of them at the same time because they are things of preference rather than right or wrong

I will try wider and get a vid. Again I spent my Easter holidays changing where I touch the bar too, I was pressing to well under my nipple line, now I'm above it.. again I think you're right... I'll try and get the bar across my nipple line.
    Always under nipple line, I didn't realise you were quite that high. I bench to about 3 inches below it. I can't explain the mechanics of it but the best benchers have a fair bit of arch the bar path- Sheiko did research on it.

Whether wider grip is better might not show in a vid, you need to give it a good go (it's not that different so you should get used to it pretty quick) and see if it feels better
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by BKS)
    x
    Thanks again, really appreciate it. I was benching 3 inches below my nipple line but tbh I just can't stay tight that low down... I'll give nipple line a go.. if still not ideal I'll bench below it again.

What should I do for my wrist angle?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again, really appreciate it. I was benching 3 inches below my nipple line but tbh I just can't stay tight that low down... I'll give nipple line a go.. if still not ideal I'll bench below it again.

What should I do for my wrist angle?

Thanks
    It might be interesting to work out why you cant stay tight as even when benching higher that could still be a weakness in your technique but you notice it less when higher.

Just keep them straight? I've told noobs to punch the ceiling and that seemed to work. Check it as you set up, check it before each rep

ETA: I just re-read and properly understood your 'two might be linked' comment on grip width and wrist angle. Still no, wrist angle is just a bad hbbit

ReputationRep:

Not sure if this the camera angle. However it seems that the bar path deviates from a straight line as you push upwards towards the end. Is this just me ?

If you are however, try if you are not already, to stare at a certain space on the ceiling and not the bar when you are benching.

Lift the bar up fully and once you are fully extended stare at the ceiling just behind the bar as it comes down. Then just move the bar between your chest that place on the ceiling as you are benching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clean&Jerk)
    Not sure if this the camera angle. However it seems that the bar path deviates from a straight line as you push upwards towards the end. Is this just me ?

If you are however, try if you are not already, to stare at a certain space on the ceiling and not the bar when you are benching.

Lift the bar up fully and once you are fully extended stare at the ceiling just behind the bar as it comes down. Then just move the bar between your chest that place on the ceiling as you are benching.
    You say that like the bar path is meant to be straight.

Physics says inclined is better
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...ience-applied/

Graphs of bar paths show that in competitive powerlifters (all were competing at Russian regionals or nationals) whatever else the bar path does, it doesn't go in a straight line
    http://erictalmant.com/pdf/Boris+She...ue+Article.pdf

I'm sure I've read about it being better for getting the most out of muscle groups too but I don't remember where I read it.

If anything his bar path is too straight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    You say that like the bar path is meant to be straight.

Physics says inclined is better
    http://articles.elitefts.com/trainin...ience-applied/

Graphs of bar paths show that in competitive powerlifters (all were competing at Russian regionals or nationals) whatever else the bar path does, it doesn't go in a straight line
    http://erictalmant.com/pdf/Boris+She...ue+Article.pdf

I'm sure I've read about it being better for getting the most out of muscle groups too but I don't remember where I read it.

If anything his bar path is too straight.
    I'd admit I'm not to familiar with the preferable mechanics of the bench press but I get the feeling its probably a similar case to the bar path argument over the clean or snatch.

Traditional technique for both the clean and snatch does not feature a straight line from the floor to the bar passing the head.

However, others argue that a straight line is more efficient while its proven not to be the case. By others I mean Rippetoe and other American coaches.

Then I'd assume this argument is what is happening in our understanding over the bench press. I've learnt the bench press mechanics/technique from Rippetoe ‘s writings where he argues a straight line from chest to full extension.

I don't bench press anymore myself as I do Olympic weightlifting so I'll just defer to you.

However back to the video I commented on. I was trying to say (regardless of the argument between the bar path should being straight or deviated) it did seem that the path to those points seemed wobbly.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.