Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 Edexcel Unit 3: Revolution, Republic and Restoration, 1629-67 (JUNE 2013) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Use Err Name)
    For Royalist mistakes, I would talk about organisation (Commissions of Array after Militia Ordinance, inefficiency of county committees, Oxford parliament) & alliance (Cessation Treaty). Obviously that would be too short alone but I would contrast it with what parliament did (their ordinances, their county committees, Scottish Convenant, Eastern Assoc., NMA etc.)
    Haha, this is why I'm sometimes tentative about coming on threads like this - my class never covered some of those things! To be fair, that's probably the same for everyone though - we all cover different things.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Muppetmad)
    Haha, this is why I'm sometimes tentative about coming on threads like this - my class never covered some of those things! To be fair, that's probably the same for everyone though - we all cover different things.
    In all honesty I wasn't taught any of this either. I bought Scarboro's book in April though & made notes off it. If I went into the exam on the knowledge I was taught in class I think I'd struggle to even get a C :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Equal)
    Yeah i used scarboros and david sharpes

Guys correct me if im wrong but they can only ask questions from
    The specification right?

And in the spec the four points for question a are:
    1629-40
    Why parl won, why royals lost, econmic factors
    1646-53
    1660-7

We pretty much know it wont be 1660-7

So hast to be 2 of other three
    Yep, I think that's how it'll work. So perhaps something on the Commonwealth will come up, considering that they haven't done anything on 48-53?

ReputationRep:
    Do either of u know whetherthe questions have to be from the specififxation? So far they all
    Seem to have been ( more detail in original post which is the last
    Post on the precious page/ post 40)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the questions have to be from the specification, they can't ask us anything outside the time period specified. And it has be from the areas of the period they've said to study.

ReputationRep:
    In all honesty I wasn't taught any of this either. I bought Scarboro's book in April though & made notes off it. If I went into the exam on the knowledge I was taught in class I think I'd struggle to even get a C :/
    Yeah, if I'd known about Scarboro's book I'd have got a copy of it myself. I've done some wider reading though, so hopefully if I can only talk about a few factors I can go into enough depth. My teacher has made sure to cover the entire breadth of the course, but I'm concerned that I may not have the depth necessary to answer particular questions. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I think that's how it'll work. So perhaps something on the Commonwealth will come up, considering that they haven't done anything on 48-53?
    Thats what i would assume aswell. Ok
    Potential q's for 1648-53?

How successful was the commonwealth?
    How succesful was the barebones parliament?
    Importance of the army in influencing parliamenth between 48-53?

Any other ideas?

Ps i have like one a4 page of notes for barebones

ReputationRep:
    If a question came up solely on the Barebones, I would look at the other question immediately and pray it's a good one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppetmad)
    If a question came up solely on the Barebones, I would look at the other question immediately and pray it's a good one.
    I doubt a question solely on that will come up, I mean it only lasted six months. If there is a question on it, it will be something about Cromwell's failure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah I think something on Barebones alone is unlikely. If anyone needs info on anything specific, I don't mind typing my notes on it - would be a bit of revision for myself anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone willling to help me
    On the parliamentary and royalist generals during the first civil war i.e essex, manchester, fairfax, cromwell, rupert, charles and new castle.

What id like is just a quick line on whter they were
    Good generals and the ley battles they were involved in

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think something on Barebones alone is unlikely. If anyone needs info on anything specific, I don't mind typing my notes on it - would be a bit of revision for myself anyway.
    That would be awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Equal)
    On the parliamentary and royalist generals during the first civil war i.e essex, manchester, fairfax, cromwell, rupert, charles and new castle.

Basically with Rupert you'd mention the lack of discipline in his cavalry (always raiding the baggage trains to steal Parliament's packed lunches) and divisions with other commanders (Newcastle at Marston Moor and Digby at court).

Newcastle bankrolled the King during the early months of the war ( giving him £900,000) with the rest of the 'trade union of the great' but was undermined latter by Hull holding out and the entry of the Scots in 1643, which meant he couldn't participate in the 3-pronged attack on London.

Fairfax - Proven general and unpolitical - reason for the success of the NMA, due to a less pluralistic command structure and the end of War party/ Peace party interference

Cromwell - promoting officers on merit (I'd rather have a plain, russet coated captain) who had puritanical zeal. Eastern Association more affective - capture of Gainsborough - and officers from the EA formed the brunt of the NMA.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone explain the differences between revisionist and post revisionist views on side taking??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Equal)

Essex
    - Battle of Edgehill (first battle of war, indecisive, Charles made HQ in Oxford before marching onwards to London)
    - Siege of Gloucester (Pym ordered Essex to relief Gloucester under siege from Royalists, was his last chance because Parliament was upset at his military failures so far, Siege was defeated & Essex's reputation was restored)
    - Would later attempt to relieve 3 more sieges in the south-west before he found himself surrounded in Cornwall ---> surrender & Essex's escape by sea)

Rupert
    - Battle of Turnham Green (2nd battle, parliamentarian's won & prevented Royalists from marching on London - London would never come under significant threat again)
    - Would surrender after Parliament laid siege at Bristol ---> Charles exiling him

Manchester
    - Head of Eastern Association
    - Criticised by Cromwell (alongside Waller) for not having taken more decisive action after various victories ---> Self-Denying Ordinance

Cromwell
    - Initiated Self-Denying Ordinance & NMA but remained as the only politician to lead an army after the NMA's founding in 1645.
    - Commanded in the Battle of Naseby (defeat of the last major Royalist army)

That's all I have with regards to generals in the Civil War.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone tell me how they're going to structure their Section B paragraphs in side talking?
    I dug out the essays in class and it's always the AO2 source analysis marks that let me down massively.

At the moment I've got this for paragraph 1
    Thesis:
    Quote source x and explain it's main argument
    Own knowledge supporting this argument ( 2 points)
    Evidence from other sources that support source x

Antithesis:
    Evidence from other sources that disputes the main argument of source x
    Own knowledge that supports this ( 2 points)
    Evidence from source x that undermines it's argument

Synthesis: How far the main argument of source x is true

Is this ok? Can someone tell me how they structure theirs, I'm really worried I'll **** up section B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiriusCybernetics)
    Could someone tell me how they're going to structure their Section B paragraphs in side talking?
    I dug out the essays in class and it's always the AO2 source analysis marks that let me down massively.

At the moment I've got this for paragraph 1
    Thesis:
    Quote source x and explain it's main argument
    Own knowledge supporting this argument ( 2 points)
    Evidence from other sources that support source x

Antithesis:
    Evidence from other sources that disputes the main argument of source x
    Own knowledge that supports this ( 2 points)
    Evidence from source x that undermines it's argument

Synthesis: How far the main argument of source x is true

Is this ok? Can someone tell me how they structure theirs, I'm really worried I'll **** up section B
    That is what I was taught to do as well. I think it covers all the area for marking that the examiners want.

ReputationRep:
    Please do - that would be awesome.

Also, does anyone have any good notes on the Rump - my teachers were rather more into long, rambling narratives than precise details and the textbook we have is pretty shocking between 1646-53.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackerss)
    Please do - that would be awesome.

Also, does anyone have any good notes on the Rump - my teachers were rather more into long, rambling narratives than precise details and the textbook we have is pretty shocking between 1646-53.
    Silly question, whats the Barebones Parliament? Is that the same as the Nominated Assembly.

Also, section two question structure is rather easy.

Read sources, gather the main themes, write about it theme to theme not source to source.

so for example.

source two and three may contradict each other over the idea of neutrality ; then bring in your own knowledge / historian but overall Austin Woolrich idea of Neutrality only being a short term factor blah blah blah.

Also, has anyone got links to all the past papers / mark schemes thanks a lot

ReputationRep:
    http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce...s/default.aspx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.